MONARCH.....Big,Bold and Beautiful

Jeff Searle

26/08/08
Monarch is probably one of the most beautiful, large leaf crotons to ever come along. This is a Henry Coppinger plant, but still to this day it's only found in collections, a plant here, and a plant there, and rarely seen planted in a private yard. It's one of my personal favorites. Here's one of my plants in the yard, and with my wife's hand for scale.

Attachments

• P9250120.jpg
    P9250120.jpg
    317.7 KB · Views: 134
  • P9250121.jpg
    P9250121.jpg
    234.6 KB · Views: 121
..and here's a pic taken tonight after 1" of rain. Plant is about 3 ft tall from an air layer about ten years ago. It also needs to be relocated to a better location - another project for next spring....

Attachments

• DSCN3421.jpg
    DSCN3421.jpg
    220.5 KB · Views: 110
..and here's a pic taken tonight after 1" of rain. Plant is about 3 ft tall from an air layer about ten years ago. It also needs to be relocated to a better location - another project for next spring....

Wow,I have a little 1 gallon,I will be totally grey before this one gets anysize :(

Wow,I have a little 1 gallon,I will be totally grey before this one gets anysize :(

Hold on! Don't blame the plant....

My largest plant which is approx. 5' tall and 4-5' wide has been in the ground for 7 years now. Yes, this is a slow grower, but 3' of growth in 10 years is not normal. Phil, could the soil maybe be bad in that area, poor drainage, lots of roots from a close by tree, too many cold winters ? All of these examples can create problems for some crotons. I know, I've seen it in my own yard. Have you tried it in a different spot? Either way, Monarch is a gorgous croton worth having. I have several now planted around the yard.

Hopefully I got this photo stuff figured out. My Monarch was a gift from Rob. It was terribly slow for a year or so and then just went nuts. Photos are from middle of July to present. Love this croton.

Attachments

• photo.JPGmonarck7.jpg
    photo.JPGmonarck7.jpg
    270.2 KB · Views: 104
  • photo.JPGmonarck5.jpg
    photo.JPGmonarck5.jpg
    279 KB · Views: 110
  • photo.JPGmonarck2.jpg
    photo.JPGmonarck2.jpg
    226.6 KB · Views: 113
Hi Jeff, I have put Monarch on my wish list. What a beauty it is. I love the large leaf crotons and have Sybil Griffin and Mona Lisa which both have very large leaves. Marnie

I can't get over the growth on this guy. It's been non-stop ever since I got it in the ground about a year ago. Several new heads and it flowered since my last post. I thought I was safe planting it under a robellini. The plant is 3 1/2 ft. tall.

Fortunately, I had a Sybil Griffen ripe with pollen. Has anyone had any success with Monarch seeds?

Attachments

• photo.JPGmonarch4.jpg
    photo.JPGmonarch4.jpg
    274.8 KB · Views: 99
  • photo.JPGmonarch3.jpg
    photo.JPGmonarch3.jpg
    123.8 KB · Views: 97
I can't get over the growth on this guy. It's been non-stop ever since I got it in the ground about a year ago. Several new heads and it flowered since my last post. I thought I was safe planting it under a robellini. The plant is 3 1/2 ft. tall.

Fortunately, I had a Sybil Griffen ripe with pollen. Has anyone had any success with Monarch seeds?

I must defer to Chris (pocomo) - I had a male flower stalk that just kept budding new flowers for an extended period. Chris was harvesting the pollen - don't know if his crosses took? :confused:

Monarch - what an appropriate name, definitely could be considered "The King".