Coccothrinax hioramii ?

The Silent Seed

18/08/11
I'm sure most of you have seen the new seeds on Ebay - I got outbid last week, but last night, I won two sets - a 500, and a 100 set (What will I do with them all ?!?!?) And I was wondering if any of you have grown this one before? If not, why not? If so, why?
For me, it was just something new to grow, since I don't yet have any Cocco's.
Post pics if you have any!
Best, Jude

Coccothrinax hiorami is indigenous to Cuba and is not very common. The Coccothrinax genus very readily hybridizes with one another. It is important to know your seed source, as you could potentially have a cross or another species altogether. It is also extremely difficult to id many coccothrinax species at the juvenile stage.

I have a small one that Mike Harris (Caribbean Palms) wild collected the seed. Phil Stager has a larger juvenile that you can search for the photo on the Croton Society forum.

They are also slow and your sprouted seedlings will look like "grass" for some time. Good luck with your endeavor.

It is by far the most drought tolerant Coccothrinax I've ever encountered. The entire genus possesses this characteristic but C. hiorami never seems to need water. It is also very cold hardy as with most drought tolerant Caribbean palms. Mine withstood a 26F low in January 2010 with no damage. I was also below freezing two other nights that week, 27F and 29F.

It is by far the most drought tolerant Coccothrinax I've ever encountered. The entire genus possesses this characteristic but C. hiorami never seems to need water. It is also very cold hardy as with most drought tolerant Caribbean palms. Mine withstood a 26F low in January 2010 with no damage. I was also below freezing two other nights that week, 27F and 29F.

That is pretty tough. I don't think a Coccothrinax crinita would be able to withstand those temperatures unscathed. :confused:

I have a 7 gallon from Mike Harris I was going to plant last spring until the spear pulled. I forgot about over the summer & it has now pushed out 2 new fronds!

That is pretty tough. I don't think a Coccothrinax crinita would be able to withstand those temperatures unscathed.
C. crinita had some very minor frost burn but it was from the ice, not the temperature. If it had some overhead frost protection, it too would have been unscathed. Dr. U. A. Young's C. crinita is about 1 mile from me and was planted in the 1960's. It's over 20 feet tall and has survived all the bad 1980's freezes. This palm is hardier than P. roebelenii.