Mystery Croton from DR

Judy Glock

08/07/09
The first picture is of the parent plant to our mystery croton. Cuttings from this plant were brought back from the Dominican Republic biennial several years ago by well known and prominent croton grower/collector. I was lucky enough to persuade this fine gentleman to part with one of his small cuttings. I brought this down to the Keys and it is doing quite well as you can see by the second photo. The one thing that I would like to know about this croton is it's name. Please chime in on your thoughts.

Judy Glock (aka Croton Whore)

Attachments

• parentofmystery.jpg
    parentofmystery.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 226
  • myrstery.jpg
    myrstery.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 258
I am doing my part to help solve the what is the 'Mystery Croton from DR". I thought that it might help if I could ID the hand in the parent plant picture. I have used my unique "Hand Search" program to match the orgianal hand with over 6000 photos in my data base. I did come up with one match. But alas no body to go with the hand.

Attachments

• MysteryHand.jpg
    MysteryHand.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 180
Judy,

First things first, those pictures of your croton are just amazing! I hope everyone chimes in with their opinions. We really need to have Bob Alonzo take a look at it. But, I have a feeling that this is a un-named variety that needs to be named. Ray, Lee, Phil, Ricky.....any clues? Because I sure don't know.

Second thing.......that picture of the unknown hand "squeezing" the life at of that poor root, damn, what a grip! Maybe we can have a jewelry check at the next meeting.:D Very, very cool........

Jeff

I haven't a clue as to the ID of that Croton, but I'm grabbing a box of ziploc bags and booking a flight to the DR this afternoon. As far as the squeeze on the Pandanus root, well, a man's gotta do what a man's gotta do.

I've got one called Fordii that resembles your plant but is not nearly as colorful as the parent - close but no cigar again. .and FWIW, no crotons in downtown Pittsburgh - good to be back after fofur days up there.

Phil

Go to crotons.net and check out the plant named Grenada under Rare Library.

To all...

Don't waste your time going to Crotons.net or, for that matter, Crotonmania.net. These two sites are about as pathetic as you can get. I don't even know why they waste their time keeping them up.

Anyways, Judy's plant is really looking awesome these days. It's definitely a seedling that came up over in the garden and is in need of a name. Maybe she can update us w/ a new picture.

Judy,
What is the name of the pastel in the upper right corner of the photo of the cutting that you're growing? Is it Da VInci?
Marie

Ray,

That's a gorgeous plant! I'm just not too sure if this and Judy's are one in the same. The biggest difference I see is, your plant has distinct pointed shoulders, and all of the leaves on Judy's plant has rounded shoulders. What do you think? Is this Grenada plant around in any collections that you know of? Hope it's not another "lost" plant.
Jeff

Hello all I enjoy reading these forums and find them very informative.Most of you guys seem like reasonable people and hopefully everyone will understand my reasoning behind this request.But if you look at the posts above this one you will see that I am not really welcome here as some people criticize my web site but then take my photos and post them here without credit to my site. I do not want to start trouble and would not mind if someone asked to use my photos at the very least have the common courtesy to ask and give my site credit. I have been collecting these plants for 12 years and as you know many of these plants are very hard to find. So wouldn't it make sense that a photo of the plant is hard to find as well? Please do not post photos from my site without my permission.
Thanks
Bud crotons.net

Go to crotons.net and check out the plant named Grenada under Rare Library.

As you can clearly see above in post #6, the original discussion of Grenada features mention of the Crotons.net website and this specific photo . Since being referenced here, the entire rare images section from crotons.net has been taken down. This includes the image posted above.

Hello all I enjoy reading these forums and find them very informative.Most of you guys seem like reasonable people and hopefully everyone will understand my reasoning behind this request.But if you look at the posts above this one you will see that I am not really welcome here as some people criticize my web site but then take my photos and post them here without credit to my site. I do not want to start trouble and would not mind if someone asked to use my photos at the very least have the common courtesy to ask and give my site credit. I have been collecting these plants for 12 years and as you know many of these plants are very hard to find. So wouldn't it make sense that a photo of the plant is hard to find as well? Please do not post photos from my site without my permission.
Thanks
Bud crotons.net

Bud, Have seen your site and think it is well done. Views expressed here in post #8 are not my opinion. Keep up the good work!

Thank you for understanding and I do understand that most images are cached on the web and can be found.
Honestly it was taken down before it was mentioned here but I do know my own photos even when altered.As you can see my photo was altered and this is not the first time. I have thousands of photos of crotons, many that members seem to think that the plants are long gone I do not put them on my site for this reason.I had considered adding some photos to the wiki but I had second thoughts as a few people are disrespectful to me. My site is the first croton web site on the internet and I have spent many years searching, collecting and photographing these plants . Here's an example.......... The problem I have is when someone uses a photo from Dr browns book they give him credit they would not think of using the photo because it belongs to him or they would give him credit or ask permission , But go to crotons .net and download the image and anyone can use it as if it is their own .I would like to thank you for giving my site credit for the photo and linking to my site.Thanks again

Thank you for understanding and I do understand that most images are cached on the web and can be found.
Honestly it was taken down before it was mentioned here but I do know my own photos even when altered.As you can see my photo was altered and this is not the first time. I have thousands of photos of crotons, many that members seem to think that the plants are long gone I do not put them on my site for this reason.I had considered adding some photos to the wiki but I had second thoughts as a few people are disrespectful to me. My site is the first croton web site on the internet and I have spent many years searching, collecting and photographing these plants . Here's an example.......... The problem I have is when someone uses a photo from Dr browns book they give him credit they would not think of using the photo because it belongs to him or they would give him credit or ask permission , But go to crotons .net and download the image and anyone can use it as if it is their own .I would like to thank you for giving my site credit for the photo and linking to my site.Thanks again

Bud, As a semi un-professional part time photographer, I understand the importance of giving credit or getting permission before posting copyrighted photos. Your site is a great addition to the Croton community. Please keep it up.

-Randy

here you go Moose - this is what I've been calling Fordii - no resemblance to anything else in this thread

Attachments

• DSCN3646.jpg
    DSCN3646.jpg
    186.3 KB · Views: 167
  • DSCN3647.jpg
    DSCN3647.jpg
    175.1 KB · Views: 161
Mine is more spotted than blotched. Of course, we must also keep in mind the DR versus Central Florida factor. Different temps, light, soil etc make for two identical yet different plants. Onward through the fog....

And from:

Veitch, James H.
Hortus Veitchii :a history of the rise and progress of the nurseries of Messrs. James Veitch and Sons, together with an account of the botanical collectors and hybridists employed by them and a list of the most remarkable of their introductions. London : J. Veitch & Sons, 1906.

CROTON FORDII, Hort.
Veitchs' Catlg. of PI. 1880, p. 20.
A dwarf-growing form with richly coloured trilobed leaves.