Sr. Gonzalez

Crazy for Crotons

29/06/09
photo.jpg

Is this Senor Gonzalez? I thought it was Veitchii but this plant lacks the consistent veining and has more spotting.

No way, Jose! That's a nice Vietchia there. What happened to the Gonzalez I gave your mother? It should look like the pic.

Attachments

• DSCN2588.jpg
    DSCN2588.jpg
    243.3 KB · Views: 103
Phil,

From what I've been told, Gonzalez and Senor Gonzalez are two different plants. Marie Nock has a plant at her place labeled Sr. Gonzalez and it looks like the plant I posted. It seems to have too much spotting to be the classic Veitchii.

BTW, my mom's Gonzalez looks like a million bucks. It shook off the cold damage from last year very well. It's still her favorite croton.

Sr. Gonzalez and Gonzalez 002.jpgSr. Gonzalez and Gonzalez 001.jpg

The croton in the first photo is the one that prompted Ray's question. It's quite different from the one he posted though. Rick Leitner won the one that I took to the meeting at his place.

The second photo is the typical Sr. Gonzalez.

I think I got the white one from John Bender but can't be sure. If it's not Gonzalez, any ideas on the ID?

Sr. Gonzalez - is it Senor, Senhor, Sister - or just a plain old Gonzalez. Ray's pic looks like a nice Vietchi in high light and nothing else. Looks like Sr. Gonzalez is nothing more than Gonzalez with a title. ..and people wonder why naming is so confusing....
onward through the fog...

Ok sorry if anyone's feathers got ruffled here. The reason I posted here was to determine if there is a difference. From Marie's photo and the comments, the answer is no. Sometimes I think it's best if just observe this forum from afar and never login.

Ray, the one we seen at Maries is a different plant than Gonzalez. You can tell in Maries photos that
they are not the same

Keith, I don't agree. I guess mine is Veitchii but can see little if any difference from Marie's photo and my Gonzalez. Senor Gonzalez, Mrs. Buford Gonzalez, Harold Lee Gonzalez and/or Leona Gonzalez III...it's the same ol' Gonzalez with a another name.

Ray, the one we seen at Maries is a different plant than Gonzalez. You can tell in Maries photos that
they are not the same

Keith, I agree with you. They do look like two different plants. What they have in common is that neither is a robust grower or a sturdy plant.

Ok, so this is my gonzalez. From Judy glock. It still is Gonzalez , right?

Attachments

• P1100159a.jpg
    P1100159a.jpg
    410.7 KB · Views: 119
I can't see enough of a difference between the 2 Gonzalez plants to make a clear, undisputable distinction. One Gonzalez has slightly longer leaves but the marbling looks the same on both plants. Pride of Winter Haven has a narrow and wide leaf form but they are both still Pride of Winter Haven.

Here's a few pics of Gonzalez - including one of the blotched Gonzalez that some of you spotted during the last meeting here. The blotched is the first pic and is only one head on the plant. We'll be patient on how this one progresses and if it maintains its blotching.

Attachments

• DSCN3342.jpg
    DSCN3342.jpg
    222 KB · Views: 104
  • DSCN3343.jpg
    DSCN3343.jpg
    284.8 KB · Views: 94
Gonzalez. Senor Gonzalez, Mrs. Buford Gonzalez, Harold Lee Gonzalez and/or Leona Gonzalez III hopefully one of these cultivars will make an appearance at the auction at Flamingo Gardens in three weeks! :p

Re: the white form...
In the 2002 Croton Society Calendar there's a picture of the white form of Gonzales which they say is also known as Rosea Picta.

Ron, I think I have a plant of the dark form I cn bring to the auction.

image.jpgLate afternoon photo I think this is a Veitchii, I have it in three locations this one has the best color. Will change the tag if I am wrong again.:cool:

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    283.2 KB · Views: 89