side bar stats

junglegal

Esteemed Member
30/03/08
Dean,

Maybe it's because I work with graphs and charts daily but I find the stats under our monikers annoying. When I view from my phone it elongates posts. I think total posts are great but do we need to see daily percentages etc?
Maybe I am in the minority?? Is this a feature I can turn off?

I agree about the length Bren. I changed the format, for some improvement. There are other options, but first I would like to hear any other feedback. In addition, I have an idea for you specifically. Since I think you are the only user who spends more than a few occasional minutes on a smart phone, I can put you in a usergroup that can't see the stats at all. But I first wanted to verify you have seen this new layout. But that would also mean you couldn't see the Leaderboard or other features either.

I purchased this new software with the promise that it would allow me to run contests. I wanted to run a weekly contest, now and again, and award the most active user a free T-Shirt. But all of the features are not as I understood for contests, although the developer says they may come later. At any rate, the purpose of the software is to increase interest and participation. And there are several features toward that end that I haven't even set up yet. So be patient, and keep telling me what you think.

So there are still some other options I have. I'm just waiting to see hear some feedback.

Dean, both Jim and I think that the "Activity Bars" are an annoying part of the website.

Please make them go away.

Thanks

Jim

Ok, as stated, I was trying to find software that would allow me to award free T-shirts for the most active member in a week/month. This was the only one. Other sites reported increased membership and participation with such 'contests.' I can make the default setting so that the drop down is closed. They would still be available for anyone that wanted to "expand" them. I'll try that first, then please tell me what you think.

Has anyone looked at the Leaderboards?

Dean,
I can see where you are coming from in the sense that you want to drive activity up. For me personally, I would rather see quality over quantity. I hope there are not bumps and useless comments just to drive one's stats up. For me, this site isn't a game but rather a learning hub. I would never care who the monthly winners were. I make my own winners in my head as I read people's posts. My prize for them is simply respect and reverance. Slippery slope I know since you are not charging but trying to light a fire for your site. I checked out the leaderboards but again, it's lost on me. Not something I'd follow. On a positive note, the classifieds are a great addition. I hope to utilize it soon!
Just curious as final thought...
Is WIKI activity included in these stats?

Keep in mind that nothing is static, and new "stuff" is the only constant in the web world.

Your concerns are legit. And perhaps my scheme would not have worked. But these considerations are part of any successful implementation. For example, different points could have been awarded for starting a topic as opposed to posts. And posts of insufficient length would not have been counted. In addition, posting photos, which we all appreciate, could have been awarded more points. But if no one is interested in free Croton Society T-Shirts, then it wouldn't have generated any interest anyway. But I thought advertising a choice of shirt for a weekly winner on PalmTalk and elsewhere, might get some new blood here. We do discuss more than just Crotons. :) And the more that drop in to visit, the more who may stay for CrotonTalk. (It was also able to award referral points for new member sign ups)

Alas, the wiki is not included in any of these stats.

And the classifieds are still under develepment. The guy who is coding it has already offered many new features, improvements, and bug fixes. So I haven't pushed it yet, waiting for his latest release to be test driven by a few other users first. I will be uploading the newest version any day now. When I do, I would like to get some participation going. I think it's one of those things that needs to get some action before it gets some action. The old chicken and egg dilema.

Dean,
I can see where you are coming from in the sense that you want to drive activity up. For me personally, I would rather see quality over quantity. I hope there are not bumps and useless comments just to drive one's stats up. For me, this site isn't a game but rather a learning hub. I would never care who the monthly winners were. I make my own winners in my head as I read people's posts. My prize for them is simply respect and reverance. Slippery slope I know since you are not charging but trying to light a fire for your site. I checked out the leaderboards but again, it's lost on me. Not something I'd follow. On a positive note, the classifieds are a great addition. I hope to utilize it soon!
Just curious as final thought...
Is WIKI activity included in these stats?

Should the Moose have his feelings hurt? :rolleyes:

No, I wasn't even thinking of da Moose. It was a very generalized thought about the potential environment created when you dangle carrots for participation. I see Dean's side as well. He has to do what he can to bring in folks across his site. We are only one small sect. Maybe when the new board is formed it can be voted upon and he'd exempt the societies if they didn't want to participate. Who knows, maybe the majority of us may want it. At least he is throwing out ideas for all of us to discuss. He's been cool about listening to us and encouraging feedback.
I also thought perhaps it would be kind of cool to throw Dean a bone by having an official society T-shirt made up. He's thrown out some nice mock-ups in the past. Maybe the society could off-set the cost for our members & Dean could see a little return for his dedication to giving us such a great gathering place. All talk of course...this is the time to throw ideas around since we're about to have a fresh start. We really do have a great thing going here.

As mentioned Bren, we could exempt the society, or make it just the society. Or make any contest strictly based SOLELY on new topics with pics started in a given month. Something that would be hard to abuse. Or the top three most popular topics for the month. Again something that would be based on value and quality. I am of the opinion that you never know how something will go unless you try it once first. Then learn, tweak it, and try again. I didn't see much downside, and possibly some benefits. As to dangling a carrot. I have had that offer for free T-Shirts up for over a month. All that was required was three articles, or topics like Ryan's that warranted promotion to an article, and can you guess how many have inquired about how to get started winning a shirt. You guessed it - ZERO.

Or we could run a contest for posting the most silly pics. What do you think MooseMan??? :)

"I make my own winners in my head as I read people's posts. My prize for them is simply respect and reverance."

It's OK Bren, you can tell everybody you mean me.

"I wouldn't count out Tree Zoo Jerry. He can get amazingly snarky when you hit the right nerve. Which I have on more than one occasion."

My snarkitude generally has a political bent and would not fly here without a lot of complaints. But Deano, are you admitting to being a provocateur just to see my witty talents? Hmmmm.

How about doing contests with a longer set time period and less categories. Maybe do a 6 month contest for new recruits, or maybe posts with pics or whatever category you choose. Get the Society (or someone) to donate something of value like a cool shirt or Croton or a Cyrtostachys or Licuala somethingorotherensis. Post a pic of that reward all season at the top of the page and then award it at one of the frequent PRA/CRA events. Have the event people make a big deal out of it. There are several events to hook up with and there are usually a spring and fall or Holiday event locally. Post a thread of the event with the award headlining and include lots of pics of the award being given out, (a la Ryan's talents). This will generate a lot of fun and interest at the event but also online, both before and after the event. It will also make people look forward to the next contest and award at the next PRA/CRA.

"I make my own winners in my head as I read people's posts. My prize for them is simply respect and reverance."

It's OK Bren, you can tell everybody you mean me.

"I wouldn't count out Tree Zoo Jerry. He can get amazingly snarky when you hit the right nerve. Which I have on more than one occasion."

My snarkitude generally has a political bent and would not fly here without a lot of complaints. But Deano, are you admitting to being a provocateur just to see my witty talents? Hmmmm.

How about doing contests with a longer set time period and less categories. Maybe do a 6 month contest for new recruits, or maybe posts with pics or whatever category you choose. Get the Society (or someone) to donate something of value like a cool shirt or Croton or a Cyrtostachys or Licuala somethingorotherensis. Post a pic of that reward all season at the top of the page and then award it at one of the frequent PRA/CRA events. Have the event people make a big deal out of it. There are several events to hook up with and there are usually a spring and fall or Holiday event locally. Post a thread of the event with the award headlining and include lots of pics of the award being given out, (a la Ryan's talents). This will generate a lot of fun and interest at the event but also online, both before and after the event. It will also make people look forward to the next contest and award at the next PRA/CRA.

Jerry and All,

I look at my main job (other than keep things running with the latest software) as attracting people to Palmpedia, not just to the Croton Society. What may be missed by the casual user is that the more traffic/hits/posts/etc. that Palmpedia gets, the higher searches for everything get placed in Google and the other search engines. So the busier Palmpedia in general is, the higher the Croton Society's posts for various crotons will be when someone searches. Also, the more plant people that come here for any reason, the more likely they are to see and consider joining the Croton Society or the discussions. I would think the recruting percentage from already confirmed plant lovers, would be higher than any other demographic.

And, the more traffic that comes, the more I can demand for advertising space. As more and more photos get uploaded, and more and more posts that are made, so does the cost to keep a server operating that doesn't bog down and lag with the display of high quality photos. So my goal if traffic, traffic, and more traffic, for any reason - as it will end up benefitting everyone.

And Jerry, as to me being a provocateur, how could you think such things. :)