Monstera deliciosa

Moose

Esteemed Member
10/09/09
1st photo: Monstera deliciosa spathe-like flower with emerging fruit.

2nd photo: New buds and immature fruit.

3rd photo: fruit starting to ripen. Tastes like a banana and pineapple combined. :) Do not eat until it is fully ripe. :(

Jeff Searle has a variegated form that looks simply gorgeous.

Attachments

• Monstera deliciosa flower w fruit.jpg
    Monstera deliciosa flower w fruit.jpg
    125.8 KB · Views: 818
  • Monstera deliciosa fruit.jpg
    Monstera deliciosa fruit.jpg
    209.9 KB · Views: 616
  • Monstera deliciosa fruit (2).jpg
    Monstera deliciosa fruit (2).jpg
    142 KB · Views: 1,140
WHAT?!?! I didn't even know you could eat those things. Thanks for sharing! Now I know if things really get bad we won't starve!

What's the "breadfruit Tree" then ? Artocarpus ?

Here is my Monstera - easily one of my favorite plants. What would you call this type ?

Attachments

• Photo 43.jpg
    Photo 43.jpg
    106.3 KB · Views: 381
  • Photo 44.jpg
    Photo 44.jpg
    103.3 KB · Views: 345
That's just your typical common Monstera deliciosa. A great plant. There are a white and yellow variegated variety that are pretty neat. I have one a shirt.

Attachments

• Mons.jpg
    Mons.jpg
    62.8 KB · Views: 387
Dean, did you see the unusual lime variegation ? I found it as a "surprise" at a local store - and a friend pointed out a TINY fleck of lime on one of the leaves. That was last fall. Since then, it has put out two new leaves (The two largest in the photo) and the variegation keeps getting better, and the petioles are variegated as well - Maybe I should trademark it as "Lemon Lime Monstera" ? :)

No, I couldn't see any variegation. But it's definitely possible, especially if the petioles have it too. I'll have to check my "standards" and see what the petioles look like. I don't think they have any streaks as a rule. Most of the variegated ones I have grown tend to loose their variegation slowly over time.

Dean, if you look at the photos of my plant, you will see near the upper sections it's markedly light lime green - that is not just light / shade / shadow in the photo, that is the actual variegation - and it's getting more and more prominent in each new leaf. Maybe it's just a poor photo ?
Best, Jude