Last round of Fertilizer

Moose

Esteemed Member
10/09/09
Today I finished fertilizing with granular fertilizer on the crotons in the Moose Land. This is a three month fertilzer but the majority of it will be disipated within 60 days with some residual. This is the last granular feeding for the year. Oct. 1st is just 60 days away and the hardening process needs to begin then.

Hard to believe with this heat, planning for fall is starting. ;)

Randy -

For the crotons:

Diamond R Fertilizer Co. Inc. (AFEC)
Acid Loving Blend #1744
7-4-5 (2% slow released Nitrogen).

For the palms:

Landscape Palm Special #7216
12-4-12 (4% Magnesium)
4.09% slow release Nitrogen
5.62% sloe release Potassium

6.28% Sulfur
1.50% Manganese
0.06% Copper
1.35% Iron
0.14% Zinc
0.06% Boron

Drs. Timothy K. Broschat & Allen W. Meerow's original Palm Fertlizer formula. Their improved formula is an 8-4-12 with 4% Magnesium. I've been using the original formula for 17 years with excellent results. Never saw a reason to switch to the "improved" formula plus its $2.00 more per bag.

Ray - For both Palms and Crotons (air layers) in containers I use:

Container Palm #8242
12-4-12
8.36% slow release Nitrogen
4.49% slow release Potassium
3.20% Magnesium
1.41% Sulfur
0.54% Manganese
0.05% Copper
1.11% Iron
0.11% Zinc
0.03% Boron

Ray - Comes in 50 Lb. bags. I get my water soluble fertilzer from them as well in 25 Lb. bags. :)

Diamond R Fertilizer Co. Inc.
18375 S.W. 260th Street
Homestead, FL 33031

Give them a call for a distributor up you way.

Phone: 305-247-8800.

Finished fertilizing the palms today. Done with granular for the year except for the K-Mag in November.

Ron,

Where can I get a couple of bags?

A friend was told by a box store employee that their fert will be back on their shelves in sept. Is that too late to give the last once over on the yard?

Bren - the fertilizer will proably be a 90 day fertilizer. Usually a majority of the mineral salts are dissolved within 60 days with some residual feeding continuing for the full 90 days. If you purchased the fertilizer on Sept. 1, by Nov. 1st your "heavy" feeding would be over with residuals continuing until Dec. 1st. This would have your plants in active growth with many tender leaves. Then a cold front and all that new growth would be susceptible to cold damage. You want to get your stuff fertilized now so it can have a chance to harden off. Less Nitrogen ... More Potassium.

Time for you to make a road trip or make friends with a grounds keeper to a golf course. :rolleyes:

A friend was told by a box store employee that their fert will be back on their shelves in sept. Is that too late to give the last once over on the yard?

In Frank Brown's book, he states that the last granular feeding of the crotons be done by Sept. 1st. My theory is that he meant generally for the whole state. Don't want tender new grow when the cold fronts arrive. Give them a chance to harden off.

I believe that the So. Florida croton lovers can do it up until Oct. 1st. Usually the first few fronts are very mild by the time they make it down here. I going this Saturday and get me 100 lbs. The children look hungry. The rain sure ain't hurting anything.

The Keys group, they get to fertilize year round. :mad:

Picked up 100 lbs. of 12-2-8 for the crotons - $19.00 per 50 lb. bag
Diamond no longer sells an acid loving plant mix. Many South Floridians are complaining since many of us are sitting atop limestone.
This place used to be AFEC, and made fertlizer for the local's needs. Since Diamond took over, they are making blends on a state-wide need basis.
All the manufacturing is being done at a North Florida location. Kinda frustrated since the counter people do not know their product line.
As I was picking up my bags, I noticed a Vegetable Mix 8-3-9 I'm going to switch to in the spring. It has 9.23% Sulfur compared to 2.33% of what I purchased today.

Got another 100 lbs. of 12-4-12 Palm Special -$ 28.00 per 50 lb. bag. For my palms, not the crotons.

50 lbs. of K-Mag (22% Potassium/11.15% Magnesium- $15.55 for 50 lb. bag - everything gets a little taste.

Gonna get it spead tomorrow morning.

Diamond no longer sells an acid loving plant mix. Many South Floridians are complaining since many of us are sitting atop limestone.
This place used to be AFEC, and made fertlizer for the local's needs. Since Diamond took over, they are making blends on a state-wide need basis.
All the manufacturing is being done at a North Florida location. Kinda frustrated since the counter people do not know their product line.
As I was picking up my bags, I noticed a Vegetable Mix 8-3-9 I'm going to switch to in the spring. It has 9.23% Sulfur compared to 2.33% of what I purchased today.

Got another 100 lbs. of 12-4-12 Palm Special -$ 28.00 per 50 lb. bag. For my palms, not the crotons.

50 lbs. of K-Mag (22% Potassium/11.15% Magnesium- $15.55 for 50 lb. bag - everything gets a little taste.

Gonna get it spead tomorrow morning.[/QUOTE

Ron, Since your crotons are under your palms, how do you keep each from eating each others food? Bon appetit!:rolleyes:

I use Howard's 8-2-12 w/minors Palm Special & a good dose of K-mag on everything, so there's no issue who's eating what.:D

Randy - the crotons get fertilized just beneath them out to their drip line. The palm fertlizer gets "broadcast" in the areas without croton fertilizer. I use the K-Mag lightly everywhere so that no Pot/Mag imbalance occurs. 100 lbs. of Palm Special is just enough for mineral maintenance for the palms three times per year. Of course my new installations (palms) get a little extra taste until they get established, which are very few - running out of room.

I thought about just going with just palm special like you. It was an economic decision, $28.00 per bag to feed crotons?

To all,

As a reminder, for those of you that will be coming by my up coming sale on Oct. 4th, 5th and 6th, I will be selling some of this same fertilizer for $27 per bag. It could save some of you a long drive to Homestead.

To all,

As a reminder, for those of you that will be coming by my up coming sale on Oct. 4th, 5th and 6th, I will be selling some of this same fertilizer for $27 per bag. It could save some of you a long drive to Homestead.

Jeff - that is a very good price! Hmmmmm, perhaps I should have come to your place - you are actually closer to me than Homestead. But who am I kidding, can't leave Searle Brothers without a few crotons - probably saved myself money.

Speaking of the upcoming Extravaganza, is the available croton cultivar list being worked on? :confused:

Warning to All: I've already put in to have Oct 4th off from work. The Moose has not been involved in the "Croton Dash" to the "Croton Mosh Pit" in a couple of years.

Notice to TikiRick: I've been pumping iron and doing protein shakes for months in preparation. The challenge is on to who makes it to the crotons 1st. LOL :D

Because of my diminuitive size and short stride I think I should be given a handicap-perhaps 15 or 20 steps.

Ana - you could hitch a ride in my Rubber Made cart. Arriving at the croton section like a Roman entering the Colisuem in a chariot. LOL :D

Ana - Tip: you make a list of your desired crotons. Rank them in order of the ones you want the most. Then yell at Judy - where is this, where is that one. If you are shy - you may miss out. All-in-all, rarely do I come close to getting 25% from my list. Often Jeff only has one offering of the rarer crotons.

Just waiting for the cultivar availability list to get "published". Bueller, Bueller ... :confused:

Ana - you could hitch a ride in my Rubber Made cart. Arriving at the croton section like a Roman entering the Colisuem in a chariot. LOL :D

Ana - Tip: you make a list of your desired crotons. Rank them in order of the ones you want the most. Then yell at Judy - where is this, where is that one. If you are shy - you may miss out. All-in-all, rarely do I come close to getting 25% from my list. Often Jeff only has one offering of the rarer crotons.

Just waiting for the cultivar availability list to get "published". Bueller, Bueller ... :confused:

Lol, Ron, I like it. I could ride in style. I'm trying to convince my husband to take the day off and come with me. Would you be able to push the cart with both of us in it if I ride on his shoulders? You mentioned you'd been lifting weights:confused:.

Now, we're talking. Real tips. I have a good set of lungs- developed from many years of cheering for my basketball player son, so that's no problem- yes, he's pretty tall- over 5'11'' (for a point guard)- we haven't figured out how that happened. I better start finding out how to butter up Judy- after all, us ladies have to stick together.

Oh, wow, if you haven't ever gotten close to 25% of your list, what hope is there for me? Tell me, what are the chances of getting a cart at the sale? I thought there were a lot. Is it unlikely? Why do you have your own- and how big is it?

More Searle Brothers Extravaganza Croton Mosh Pit Tips:

Ana - You make a list from the available cultivar list that should get published soon. Don't work off your master wish list - it would be cumbersome ranking that list, at least it would be for me. Use your Master list as a back-up. Many times Jeff finds some stuff that he forgot he had when pulling out plants. Or he decides to put some out that he was going to hold for his own yard. There will be crotons that never made it to the available cultivar list.

If you are there as the gates open, there will be carts available on your right side about half way to the croton area. You should be able to fit 8 crotons in it. More if you California stack them.

Bringing an assistant is invaluable. That allows you to keep grabbing stuff while you hand off your plants to your assistant. Plus your assistant can guard your cart. Does not happen often but, an unguarded cart sometimes may get a rare cultivar "liberated" from it. There is a true scramble in the croton area. Over 25% of all the plants will be gone in the first hour, most going in the first 20 minutes. There are even folks that had no inkling of getting crotons that follow the crowd to the croton area that and begin to pull plants.

There is a plant holding area where you can unload your plants so you can go and refill your cart.

Just put down my last bag.I ended up cheaping out and put down a Walmart 10-0-10 special.100lbs for $24.00.That does it until March :)

Gonna get it spead tomorrow morning.[/QUOTE

Ron, Since your crotons are under your palms, how do you keep each from eating each others food? Bon appetit!:rolleyes:

I use Howard's 8-2-12 w/minors Palm Special & a good dose of K-mag on everything, so there's no issue who's eating what.:D

Lol, Ron, I like it. I could ride in style. I'm trying to convince my husband to take the day off and come with me. Would you be able to push the cart with both of us in it if I ride on his shoulders? You mentioned you'd been lifting weights:confused:.

Now, we're talking. Real tips. I have a good set of lungs- developed from many years of cheering for my basketball player son, so that's no problem- yes, he's pretty tall- over 5'11'' (for a point guard)- we haven't figured out how that happened. I better start finding out how to butter up Judy- after all, us ladies have to stick together.

Oh, wow, if you haven't ever gotten close to 25% of your list, what hope is there for me? Tell me, what are the chances of getting a cart at the sale? I thought there were a lot. Is it unlikely? Why do you have your own- and how big is it?

RON!!! Jeeez, poor Ana's not going to get any sleep the night before. Lol. She might end up sleeping outside the gates in a pup tent or something. Were only talking plants here. Lol.

I'm not going to get much sleep anyway. Planning on leaving a little after 4 a.m. to get there a little before 8 a.m. Are there long lines waiting at the entrance? I'm worried about not getting a cart or having to wait in line so long to get in (if I get there only a little before 8), that Ron, Tim and Rick will be in there cleaning out by the time I come waltzing in at 8:15.:mad: How early are people lining up, Jeff?

Anna - By all means take your hubby along. The gates open at 8am. There's usually a crowd of 25-50 milling around - most of whom know each other. Park as close as you can to the main gate. The south side of the gate has more parking. Watch your speed on whatever road that is. As noted, hustle on in and grab a cart then follow the mob to the croton sales area; or, better yet, have your hubby grab a cart and you head directly to the sales area to your left. Let him watch the cart and help you load any heavy stuff.

Once you have everything you want or can load onto the cart, than have your hubby watch the cart while you go shopping for palms and other neat stuff. The head to the check out line and pay up. Jeff has helpers that will take all your paid-for plants to your vehicle. Wear good comfy shoes. have fun.

...and don't forget that you will eventually have to fit everything you bought into your vehicle. Keith and could fit about $750 worth of crotons into an old Lincoln Town Car with room for a small cooler and a box of Krispy Kream donuts.

I'm not going to get much sleep anyway. Planning on leaving a little after 4 a.m. to get there a little before 8 a.m. Are there long lines waiting at the entrance? I'm worried about not getting a cart or having to wait in line so long to get in (if I get there only a little before 8), that Ron, Tim and Rick will be in there cleaning out by the time I come waltzing in at 8:15.:mad: How early are people lining up, Jeff?

Ana - you saw the croton area. There is more than 2,000 plants.

Rick's garden is so packed, he's gotta take a plant out to put something in. Rick usually goes for really rare stuff - he won't be taking alot.

Tim - is an uncertain variable. He certainly has the croton bug and may decide to really put a hurt'in on his credit card. :confused:

Da Moose probably 5 to 6 plants. In the old days, I would have grabbed 25-30. Fortunately for you, I got about 50 in containers right now so I'm only going for stuff that I think I need.

Here is my list, if you see one of these, I suggest you grab it 1st. I never show my list - this is a "reward" for all the hard work you have done on the Wiki.
Blotched Thanksgiving
Cameo
Catch Up
Coral Pride
Earl of Derby
Kane
Mike Ferrer
Pink Davis
Seminole Queen
W. F. Dreer

Jeff sometimes restocks the croton area after 2:00 pm. On occasion he will find some he's forgotten about or is in such a good mood - he'll put out a couple he was saving for his yard. Saturday morning you can find some real gems that were not there Friday morning.

Thanks, Phil for the tips. I will take all of them! Sounds like it will be fun. I will be happy with whatever I get.

Ron, I have one that's on your list, but I am not really expecting to get it. However, if Judy is available at the time I come in, watch out! After all, I need trade bait. Everyone already has most of the stuff that's hot, so I need something that some crotonheads don't have. As Marie puts it, 'trade currency.'

Thanks for all the tips!!!:D Ana

Ana - Ray will be there too. He has been an avid collector of crotons way longer than I ever got into them. Great source for croton info and ID'ing. Seek his advice whenever we get together. Look forward to seeing him again, its been awhile. :)