Lookin Good

Moose

Esteemed Member
10/09/09
This morning I took Frank Brown's advice and took a saunter about Moose Land. The previous day the weatherperson said 60% of rain and I recieved nil. Last night was a 20% chance and a nice steady rain found my garden, go figure. :confused: During my saunter, some crotons caught my eye as really looking particularly nice this time of year. Here comes the photos of some seen this morning:

Multicolor aka Little Miss Cobra Head of just Cobra Head.

Attachments

• Multicolor.jpg
    Multicolor.jpg
    223.6 KB · Views: 88
Yes it is very common but it is truly a wonderfully hued croton. This was planted 2 years ago in my easement between the sidewalk and street under a small oak tree which I also planted. One of my early mistakes, it suffered from excessive sun exposure. The oak has achieved more size and is providing more shading. The Petra also has acclimated to its environment. :)

Attachments

• Petra.jpg
    Petra.jpg
    318.1 KB · Views: 97
Heaven that had two large cuttings taken in early Spring. Two small air layers were taken about three weeks ago. One went to Bren (Junglegalfla) because she PM'd me and the other to Chris (pocomo) as a birthday gift. I am leaving this croton alone until next Spring so it may fill out again. There has been a few requests sent my way for this plant. I believe Jeff may have some air layers of this cultivar going that will be available at the Searle Brothers Extravaganza this coming November. Marie Nock may have one available too, you may want to PM her to see if she still has it. :)

Attachments

• Heaven.jpg
    Heaven.jpg
    257 KB · Views: 97
  • Heaven (2).jpg
    Heaven (2).jpg
    253 KB · Views: 87
One that I do not understand was not included in as many gardens as Stoplight back in the day, the marvelous Thomas Edison. This is based on my seeing many a Stoplight in the old neighborhoods of Coral Gables, but rarely a Thomas Edison is found. :)

Attachments

• Thomas Edison.jpg
    Thomas Edison.jpg
    195 KB · Views: 103
One that I do not understand was not included in as many gardens as Stoplight back in the day, the marvelous Thomas Edison. This is based on my seeing many a Stoplight in the old neighborhoods of Coral Gables, but rarely a Thomas Edison is found. :)
Perhaps it is a slower grower?
Fewer branches than Stoplight??
Some of the really slow growers I have seen on this forum will never be widely distributed...

This croton was the only one I acquired at the auction when the Glocks hosted the Holiday Social in early December 2010. There were many crotons at the auction that were desired but the bidding was "fierce". This William Craig was donated by Judy Glock, an air layer from the "Southern Compound". It has responded very well getting into the ground. Planted under a Carambola tree, it gets diffused morning light, direct sun between 11:00am - 1:00pm, then afternoon shading. :)

Attachments

• William Craig.jpg
    William Craig.jpg
    261.9 KB · Views: 84
Agreed Phil, has not been slow for me as well. Goes back to my original statement that it is curious why there are so many Stoplight crotons in my area and a sparse amount of the beautiful Thomas Edison. Perhaps Stoplight cuttings establish easier than Thomas Edison. :confused:

Growth rates for thos Edison and Stoplight have bfeen abfout the same for me, i.e., reasonably fast for a croton.