July 2011 Meeting

And some more ... :)

1st Photo: MacAdoo an old cultivar

2nd Photo: Piecrust aka Mortimer and the original name Undulatum

I have wanted a Piecrust for over a year now. I lost all of mine in the 09-10 winter. I have not seen them anywhere in the last year and a half.

Unless we get a hurricane between now and next Saturday, here's the program:
10-10:15am meet at Sunken Gardens for a guided tour by Ray Hernandez
10:30am Introductory talk on crotons at Sunken Gardens by Phil Stager. This is aimed at the 'general public'. Length apprx. 1 hr.
1 pm Meet at Phil Stager's place for tour of the yard and the big auction. Refreshments and munchies will be served, but you are on your own for lunch. If you have a portable chair, bring it; I have about 12 chairs but we have 20 confirmed. The pool is open. last minute querstions, call me at 727 864 1588 before 10am on Sat.
See you all Saturday.

A few pics of the yard...

Attachments

• DSCN3207.jpg
    DSCN3207.jpg
    333.8 KB · Views: 187
  • DSCN3208.jpg
    DSCN3208.jpg
    322.2 KB · Views: 199
  • DSCN3209.jpg
    DSCN3209.jpg
    333.9 KB · Views: 196
  • DSCN3210.jpg
    DSCN3210.jpg
    335.6 KB · Views: 211
Phil:
Your garden is beautiful! Thanks for sharing the pictures. Can you please tell me the name of the red spotted croton on the right, in the last shot? I don't think it is Christian's Landscape. I have that but, I also have one with larger leaves and spots that I don't know the name of.

Spotted croton is a Joanna Roof - orignally from John Bender.
Palm in pot is a Reinhardtia latisecta - got it a few months ago from Action Theory Nursery; it's got two inflorescensces starting to open

Last two heading for the West Coast looking for a new home.

All plants that I am donating are air layers that have only been potted up 10-14 days. Keep them hydrated. No granular fertilizer in the containers. They all got feed 20-20-20 soluble fertilzer this morning on the leaves and in the soil. :D

1st Photo: Twist & Point

2nd Photo: William Jennings Bryan

Phil - the Reinhardtia latisecta loves acidic soil. I got mine from Action Theory as well. I dug a massive hole adjacent to an old pine stump. Put tons of peat moss, cow manure, pine bark in the hole. Mulched with pine bark. Looked gorgeous for about three years and got multiple 4 ft. trunks. As soon as the roots really got into the lime rock, it declined and carked within 6 months. If you do not have acidic soil, leave it in a container. Don't get heart broken like I did. :(

Attachments

• Twist & Point.jpg
    Twist & Point.jpg
    165.6 KB · Views: 159
  • William Jennings Bryan.jpg
    William Jennings Bryan.jpg
    165.4 KB · Views: 168
Moose - the Reinhardtia will stay in its container - mainly due to the &^%$#@! cold winters we've been having. Soils (?) over here in Pinellas are mainly sand - and more sand. Nice plant for the price.

Although I have never personally seen one, for some unknown reason I imagine that the Yellow Duke of Windsor is very intriguing. :eek:

The following in 3 gal size will be at auction:
Curly Boy
Col Gilbert Cutler
LadyCalire
Fishbone
Joannis
Multico0lor
Island Breeze
Yellow Duke of Windsor
King of Siam (the yellow and green one)
Cornbread
Thos. Edison
Dr Lin Yu Tang
Pride of Winterhaven - wide leaf form

Also a you-dig-it Dr Tang in the ground if any interest or for trade. May also throw in a few 1 gal misc. and assorted.

Moose - If you take the Sunken Gardens tour, there's large yellow sport on a regular DofW near a small bridge in the middle of the gardens. Ask your tour guide to point it out.

Phil,

I'll look for it during today's dry run.

To avoid auction plant duplication, I'll leave Cornbread at home and bring Van Buren instead.

Ron,

Yellow Duke looks great, grows fairly quickly and is hardy to 26F cold. What more can one say.

Phil,

Scott brought up an interesting point. He is concerned that all the plants he is bringing for auction are going to fry in the back of his truck while at Sunken Gardens. I know there would be shade if he parked back in the neighborhood a bit but the plants would be less than safe. I don't believe the parking lot has a lick of shade available.

It is my lament that I will not be making the trip to the West Coast. I really wish I could have made it. Well at least the plants for the auction will make the trip. I think there may some good buys with all the crotons there seems to be donated. :)

Moose - If you take the Sunken Gardens tour, there's large yellow sport on a regular DofW near a small bridge in the middle of the gardens. Ask your tour guide to point it out.

Ron, Here are a few for now from Phil's great garden.

Attachments

• 1177.jpg
    1177.jpg
    273.3 KB · Views: 175
  • 1169.jpg
    1169.jpg
    154.6 KB · Views: 167
  • 1171.jpg
    1171.jpg
    265.6 KB · Views: 169
  • 1173.jpg
    1173.jpg
    260.8 KB · Views: 177
more of Phil's well grown plants...

Attachments

• 1179.jpg
    1179.jpg
    224.8 KB · Views: 168
  • 1180.jpg
    1180.jpg
    254.7 KB · Views: 168
  • 1181.jpg
    1181.jpg
    153.8 KB · Views: 171
  • 1185.jpg
    1185.jpg
    251.4 KB · Views: 170
Pic #4 is why Stoplight is a top favorite of mine. But the two in my garden are not.

Attachments

• 1186.jpg
    1186.jpg
    246.2 KB · Views: 173
  • 1187.jpg
    1187.jpg
    292.6 KB · Views: 170
  • 1188.jpg
    1188.jpg
    237.7 KB · Views: 176
  • 1201.jpg
    1201.jpg
    223.9 KB · Views: 175
My friend Gina spotted this little guy hanging out in Phil's wamin bamboo. He was only 7-8' off the ground and didn't mind everyone eye-balling him. Phil's new pet!

Attachments

• 101_1194.jpg
    101_1194.jpg
    134.6 KB · Views: 165
These are my two new cultivars from the auction.One is multicolor and the other is blotched Wootens Beauty.Phil's garden is truly captivating.There are too many varieties to list but Playboy and freckles caught my eye.

Attachments

• 142_0022.jpg
    142_0022.jpg
    143.3 KB · Views: 170
  • 142_0025.jpg
    142_0025.jpg
    212.8 KB · Views: 173
Sunken Gardens was a pleasant surprise.Many really big examples of captain Gilber Cutler ,they were many 10-12 foot examples in spectacular color.Also a drop dead stoplight around 15 ft tall.

Ron, Robert Lavalois landed up here in Scottland.

Attachments

• 018.jpg
    018.jpg
    234.6 KB · Views: 151
From memory, here is a list of the crotons at Sunken Gardens.

Rex
W.W. Coles
Petra
Mammie
Duke of Windsor
Yellow Duke of Windsor
Charmer
General Paget
Captain Gilbert Cutler
Christian's Landscape (possibly a Leopardia)
Charles Rutherford
Dr. Lin Yu Tang
Stoplight
Irene Kingsley
The Swan
Fishbone
Madam Butterfly
Jean Frances Fascell
Elaine
AFD #5
Gloriosa
Kentucky
Joe Friday
Columbiana look a like
Stewartii

Updated crotons from Sunken Gardens. I remembered a few more.

Rex
W.W. Coles
Petra
Mammie
Duke of Windsor
Yellow Duke of Windsor
Charmer
General Paget
Captain Gilbert Cutler
Christian's Landscape (possibly a Leopardia)
Charles Rutherford
Dr. Lin Yu Tang
Stoplight
Irene Kingsley
The Swan
Fishbone
Madam Butterfly
Jean Frances Fascell
Elaine
AFD #5
Gloriosa
Kentucky
Joe Friday
Columbiana look a like
Stewartii
Purity
White Ann Rutherford
Nestor
Golden Glow
Andreanum

Ron, Yes! It is now in the ground, pot and all. :D I really wanted the Piecrust plant you sent up, but I will find one someday again. Also got a large Johannis.