Crotons in a Movie Trivia Question ?

Moose

Esteemed Member
10/09/09
Recently I watched a movie from 1963 that had bunches of crotons in alot of scenes. :cool: This is not some obscure movie, famous director with several well known actors in it. Can you name the movie ? :p

My guess would be Donovan's Reef.

Sorry Bren - no more clues. Toby got it right. :)

Director: John Ford. Actors: John Wayne, Lee Marvin, Jack Warden, Cesar Romero.

I wish I had it on DVD so I could enlarge to see what cultivars they were. Some nice tropical scenery, worth seeing in my opinion. :cool:

A Thea would be a wonderful prize. I will add photos later this summer I promise. The new growth has been impressive to say the least, despite the massive swarms of mosquitos.

But back to the topic...filmed in Kauai was a dead give-away. I couldn't beleive all the varieties of crotons I saw last time we visited. It begs the question...what is the history of crotons in Hawaii and Polynesia? We have an interesting and fairly well documented history here in Florida, but we hear little about the other croton Meccas of the world.

A Thea would be a wonderful prize. I will add photos later this summer I promise. The new growth has been impressive to say the least, despite the massive swarms of mosquitos.

But back to the topic...filmed in Kauai was a dead give-away. I couldn't beleive all the varieties of crotons I saw last time we visited. It begs the question...what is the history of crotons in Hawaii and Polynesia? We have an interesting and fairly well documented history here in Florida, but we hear little about the other croton Meccas of the world.

Toby - where are the photos? :confused:

Keeping with this thread's theme: Next time you see The Godfather, Part 2, look at the crotons in the scene when Michael visits Hyman Roth at his home in Miami. :)