Fertilizer

Phil Stager

Esteemed Member
04/07/09
For those of us in Pinellas County, a total fertilizer ban is in effect from 1-June to 1-October and at other times depending on the weather forecast. I had not paid much attention to this until we got ready to apply our quarterly dose of controlled release 8-0-12+4Mg to the palms and cycads at the Kopsick Palm Arboretum in downtown St. Pete - and then was informed that we could not do it due to the fertilizer ordinance. A key part of the ordinance is a limit on the amount of Nitrogen (N) one can apply - 4 lbs/year per 1000 sq.ft. of turf or landscape plants.

Phosphorous (P) is now forbidden year round unless you have a documented P deficiency.

PM me if you want a copy of the Pinellas County ordinance. I doubt if the fertilizer police will be out in force, but a little discretion can save a lot of grief.

Any other counties have similar restrictions?

Phil, No restrictions in Hillsbourgh Co. at this time. The stores that sell fertilizer in my general area do not sell it with Phosphorous as it is to close to the Bay. But the same stores in the N. Tampa area sell it with Phosphorous, I drive the few extra miles.

Phil - is there a ban on selling any fertilizer? Is 20-20-20 water soluble fertilizer available? :confused:

I do the foliar feed thing in early evening so it can stay "wet" on the leaves longer, less evaporation. :D

Same ban now in place for 2012 in Hillsborough County. A silly law when you consider people do have vehicles and will drive to buy what they need.

Exactly Ray! :D

Are the fertilizer police going to go after those who use 9 month Florikan when they can't stop the time releasing of the mineral salts? But offshore drilling of oil is an approved enviromentally sound undertaking? :rolleyes:

on a recent trip to the local big box stores, I did not see any large bags of fertilkizer for sale; the small jars of Osmocate and packages of Miracle Grow were the only ones available . recall that this is in Pinellas County.