Jubaea chilensis sprouts

ScotTi

Esteemed Member
16/04/08
In Nov. 2008 I was out in Calif. and picked up 6 Jubaea seed. I did the baggie method on the seed. Yesterday I happened to pick up the bag to throw them out and saw white roots in the bag. I have sprouts on 4 seed. :)

Here is a look at the mother Jubaea taken in Nov 08.

Attachments

• picresized_th_1274919562_IMG_7645.jpg
    picresized_th_1274919562_IMG_7645.jpg
    443.5 KB · Views: 409
That's why some growers I know never throw out old seeds. They just toss them all in a pile with a little light soil under a bench and check them every 2-3 months. You just never know.

UPDATE:Growing really good so far.

Attachments

• 006.jpg
    006.jpg
    234 KB · Views: 380
  • 007.jpg
    007.jpg
    105.9 KB · Views: 403
Ought to be picking up speed any year now - the hard parts done. Should be an easy grow from here. Somewhat slow, but I would think almost all will survive.

Dean, I do not think its going to be a easy grow here in FL, unless it a hybrid. I am just growing them for kicks and have no plans of putting it in the ground.

Patrick, My seedlings may very well be Jubaea x Butia, as there were Butia growing very close by the Jubaea. The seed took 18 months to sprout, but have grown fast in the last 8 months. When I say fast, I am comparing with Butia X Syagrus. The growth rate is about the same at this age. I have no idea of seedling growth rates of a pure Jubaea to compare.

Not looking bad for 9 month olds...

Attachments

• 021.jpg
    021.jpg
    167.4 KB · Views: 389
  • 022.jpg
    022.jpg
    163.5 KB · Views: 334
Still a little ways from trunking. :)

One seed I sprouted, planted in ground, and later dug and traded, now has about a foot of trunk for it's new owner. And that was, I'm guessing, at least 15 yrs. ago.

June 2011 the first signs of split leaves on the seedlings. The look of the split leaf is not what I was expecting... but I will wait for the next leaf.

Attachments

• 002.jpg
    002.jpg
    114.1 KB · Views: 316
  • 001.jpg
    001.jpg
    105.1 KB · Views: 403
  • 003.jpg
    003.jpg
    130.1 KB · Views: 314
I can't imagine being THAT patient - I mean, 2008 to 2011... that's nearly a lifetime ;)
That said, I'm patiently waiting for some Hyphaene and Acrocomia seeds that I planted this spring, that probably will take a few years... The best way to deal with it is, as others have said, just forget about them! That, to me, makes the surprise of finding roots/sprouts all the more pleasant.

I am not that patient and I do not care if they make it or not. The plants are alive but I have not noticed any growth this summer. I am giving them tough love now.

I can't imagine being THAT patient - I mean, 2008 to 2011... that's nearly a lifetime ;)
That said, I'm patiently waiting for some Hyphaene and Acrocomia seeds that I planted this spring, that probably will take a few years... The best way to deal with it is, as others have said, just forget about them! That, to me, makes the surprise of finding roots/sprouts all the more pleasant.
Without patience, you may wish to find another hobby. :) There are slower palms out there.

With your set up, I would think the slower the better anyway. :) It's too bad that palms are the reverse of how we would prefer them. Fast at first, and then slowing down. But, alas they are the opposite.

Jubaea chilensis, also known as the Chilean wine palm or nutsedge is a huge and impressive palm tree that is native to Chile, where it is grown for its sap which is converted into palm honey and wine. It is now a protected palm Chile. This palm has pinnate leaves and a massive inverted pyramid-shaped bottle, can reach 80 feet (25 m) high. Take edible nuts that look like miniature coconuts.
Chilensis is a palm Jubaea huge and colorful when ripe. However, growth is slow. In addition, this palm is relatively resistant to frost, and supports short frost to -10 ° C to -12 ° C. This palm therefore can be grown in protected locations in USDA zones 8 and warmer.

Chilean wine palm has evergreen pinnate leaves, and a mature palm has a massive canopy of about 50 leaves can be up to 15 feet (5 m) wide.
This palm flowers before they are 40 to 60 years of age. The inflorescences are yellow-cream and are about 5 feet (1.5 m) long.
Fruits of the Chilean wine palm also known as nutsedge. The fruits look like miniature coconuts, and are about 1.5 inches (4 cm) in diameter. Also know as coconuts.

Jubaea requiert chilensis exhibits them suivante: mi-ombre, light and sound, soleil
This palm requires a deep and well drained soil. Chilean wine palm is not particularly resistant to salt.
One major enemy of the Chilean wine palm (and many palms) is Paysandisia archon, a butterfly can be a great threat to palms in southern Europe and other places in the world

No offense meant here Jane, but is user Jane_Whitt a computer/auto-spammer/marketing ploy? I saw a similar post on Palmtalk with lots of official book description type stuff with no personal forum interaction. If I'm wrong, sorry Jane, it's all good information, I'm just a little puzzled why it seems to be a copy/paste from the internet on a forum where people have conversations. Like Dean said, yhe wiki would be a great place to add info like that.

No offense meant here Jane, but is user Jane_Whitt a computer/auto-spammer/marketing ploy? I saw a similar post on Palmtalk with lots of official book description type stuff with no personal forum interaction. If I'm wrong, sorry Jane, it's all good information, I'm just a little puzzled why it seems to be a copy/paste from the internet on a forum where people have conversations. Like Dean said, yhe wiki would be a great place to add info like that.
Matty,

I think it may be a little bit of a ploy to plug her silk plant Biz (click on signature) - but no ploy is needed - looks like a legit biz and we can appreciate even "fake" plants. I think she was inquiring about ad space on PT. She is welcome to keep on trucking here - our doors are open.

If she's a real person then that's cool. On some of the other forums I'm on they get weird auto recognition spammer computers that can recognize the topic, and then they come in and make some encyclopedic/internet copy/paste post all just so their signature/advertisement gets posted.

If she's a real person then that's cool. On some of the other forums I'm on they get weird auto recognition spammer computers that can recognize the topic, and then they come in and make some encyclopedic/internet copy/paste post all just so their signature/advertisement gets posted.
Jury's still out Matty. I have a silk plant person inquiring about ad space here and on PT, but after checking, it is a different biz. So who knows?

Hi all, been gone a while - but back I am!
True, if I grew only Palms, I would need more patience than I have now - but that aside, Palms are a minority of what I grow, anyway, so it's all good. I grow them more for enjoyment, and the ease of germinating seeds (if slowly!)

The Jubaea took a hit in the FL summer this year and look bad now. I hope they will make some sort of improvement now that the real humid conditions have past for the season.