Where is the rain ???

Moose

Esteemed Member
10/09/09
It is getting difficult to keep my crotons hydrated. If three days passes with no supplemental irrigation, my droopy new leaf flushes wither and give up. Yesterday I found some spider mites under some large leaf cultivars that stay relatively shaded most of the day. The ones in heavier sun have not been affected. I think I will place a sprinkler head on the end of a hose and place it directly under the crotons with spider mites to see if that will remedy the situation until the rains arrive. ;)

Does anyone know how long a leaf will stay on a plant ? I have observeded an increase in leaf drop in the last month. It seems that it is escalting in frequency. Is this typical due to new flushes of leaves or due to lack of water? Or perhaps a combination of both? :confused:

Just wishing for a nice 1/2" of rain to fall. ;)

I'm hauling the hose around nightly too. I'm with Ray, time for drip irrigation. Pretty sure this is not out of the norm though. Isn't May generally the driest? I though rainy season doesn't begin until mid June.

Even established plants are suffering.Once you couple the driest winter on record along with a delayed start to the rainy season it really makes growing plants suffer badly.

Just venting. So dry here in st pete. Last few days, strong hot winds. Can't keep up with watering. Noticed my gen pagent covered in spider mite webs today. This sucks. All these teasers around and nothing here. Misery loves company.

I found spider mite webs covering some plants in containers tucked into the understory that showed no evidence four days ago. :mad: When they show up, it is quick. I never had this problem last year but the rains came sooner. Plus there were at least some sprinkles in April & May 2010.

There were some fast moving sporadic showers coming off the ocean last night. I got lucky, one passed over my garden. Only about 1/4 " of rain but I will accept what the big guy gives me for now. :)

Pinch me. I hope I am not jinxing myself but there are red cells headed for the Tampa area right now. :eek: Watch they will split and completely bypass my place.

Bren - that looks like a pretty large system. It looks like relief is on its way. The Fort Myers area may get some as well. :)

I am glad that somebody may get wet. ;)

Pinch me. I hope I am not jinxing myself but there are red cells headed for the Tampa area right now. :eek: Watch they will split and completely bypass my place.

I am trusting the weather predictions for rain here this weekend. I sprinkled a 50 lb. bag of 7-4-5 fertilizer for acid loving plants around all my crotons yesterday. My anticipation is that it will get washed in and start to dissolve. When the heavy rains come, this should make the mineral salts readily available to the plants. :)

After the worst dry season for the century we are now having one of the latest start to our rainy season on record.Rainy season usually starts May 20.We are now two weeks late and next week is supposed to be dry as a bone.I will hold of any fertilization until I feel the raindrops.

I am trusting the weather predictions for rain here this weekend. I sprinkled a 50 lb. bag of 7-4-5 fertilizer for acid loving plants around all my crotons yesterday. My anticipation is that it will get washed in and start to dissolve. When the heavy rains come, this should make the mineral salts readily available to the plants. :)

Good luck and keep them well watered,rain looks like at least 1 week away at the soonest.I have a bag ready to go but all my big leaf varieties are struggling as sprinklers cannot keep up with the dry windy conditions,even my stoplight which has been in the ground for 6 years is now wilting heavily.

:D

Attachments

• 020.jpg
    020.jpg
    228.5 KB · Views: 223
  • 021.jpg
    021.jpg
    340.5 KB · Views: 222
Dry as a bone here too! Just came back yesterday from the lower Keyes ( and 33 nice Yellowtail snapper later) and I was told their in a record drought from 80 years ago. Parched!!!

The frogs are going to sing tonite, as the rain returned here this evening with .42". Better than nothing,

As a child I remember the last days of school. Almost like clock work the rains arrived at the very end of May or first few days of June. I would walk along sidewalks collecting huge earthworms that were coming to the surface because the ground was so saturated. Then I would go fishing, using the worms as bait! :p

I just dropped my teenage son off at school. Today is his last day. The rains have yet to find my garden. I have been waiting for the rains so I could watch my crotons put on a heavy growth spurt. :(

In my 51 years as a native Floridian, my memory does not recall such a lack of our monsoonal rains. :mad:

I think we might be facing some of pretty tough water restrictions if the rains dont start soon.Most of the canals up here are really low.The cities need the money and I would not be shocked to have 1 day a week watering with heavy enforcement before too long.

1 day a week if you're lucky. Two years ago there was a ban on sprinkler watering altogether here and only hand watering was permitted before 8AM or after 6PM. We don't have it nearly as badly here as you do and we've been on 2 day a week restrictions for the past 10 years.

The last time I remember the rainy season starting late was the year of wilma and charlie. I left for WI for the 4th of july week.
Last night I watered for 1.5 hrs with the hose. Today you'd never know. I am too tired tonight so everything is on it's own. No rain in sight in these parts yet again. I think I should get into cacti. Lol