Another not about crotons Thread

Moose

Esteemed Member
10/09/09
They blush up nicely with yellow, oranges and reds plus are taste delicious. Besides Coconut palms, mangos really make a tropical statement in the yard. :)

The squirrels and "human squirrels" have already put a hurting on my other tree. These mangos pictured here are hidden towards the back of Moose Land and will not be ready for another 6 weeks. Grow, grow, grow my little pretties ... :eek:

Attachments

• Mangos.jpg
    Mangos.jpg
    177.3 KB · Views: 75
  • Mangos2.jpg
    Mangos2.jpg
    303.3 KB · Views: 71
Looking good Moose! What variety? We have an early season tree, a mid and a late. We freeze or dehydrate everything we can't eat in season to enjoy the rest of the year. The squirrels don't come around much anymore, too many sudden disappearences in our neck of the woods.

Nice! I have a small yard and picked up a patio variety from crowleys last year. It has about 10 fruits this year. Hope they are edible!

The variety is Keitt. They are a large mango (up to 4 lbs.) and are late. We are usually done with this tree by the end of August. My other tree had eleven squirrels battling over the mangos last week. They come running down the power lines like it is I-95. I lose 25% of my mangos and avocados to these tree rats. :(

I lose another 25% to the "human squirrels". :mad: Found the portion of the tree that hangs over the sidewalk torn up with multiple green branches on the ground. They were also 8 mangos laying there as well. Must have heard me coming and lit out. I got my picker and picked five 5 gallon buckets full of green mangos and gave them to the surrounding neighbors. The "human squirrels" are afraid that other "human squirrels" are going to get them first. In the past years, the ones hanging over the sidewalk never get a chance to turn red. Problem solved, no mangos - no one tearing up my trees. :rolleyes:

How many others on this forum are growing or love mangos ? :p Just got done cutting up a dozen and putting them in the refridgerator.

Looking good Moose! What variety? We have an early season tree, a mid and a late. We freeze or dehydrate everything we can't eat in season to enjoy the rest of the year. The squirrels don't come around much anymore, too many sudden disappearences in our neck of the woods.

Heading home from Church today, I saw an old hunting buddy of mine working at a house his wife's trust fund owns. The lawn maintenance guy had been recently fired and they had no key to the locked gate to access the back yard. So I went home and got my bolt cutters. :p

When I went back he offered to let me pick some mangos from the back tree. So ... :rolleyes:

Attachments

• Mangos.jpg
    Mangos.jpg
    175.6 KB · Views: 63
Ron,

Were just now starting to harvest the first ones off out Glenn tree, a great variety I must say. I also have a fairly small Keitt tree, but is holding between 60-75 mangos so far and are a week or so away from ripening. So far, the coons, birds, squirrels, posum and what ever else has been behaving themselves. I have a very smal Julie that I have yet to taste in the prior 3 years because it's produced 10 mangos or less and the critters have gotten them all so far. As we speak, there's close to 15 hanging on, some literally touching the ground. I'm sure as soon as they even get a little color in them, they'll be striped overnight.:mad:

But so far, Andrea has made 3-4 mango breads, of which one went up to Dr. Brown's last week.

Jeff - I am sure you know your own trees. I am just saying that typically Keitt is a latter cultivar and is usually not ready until late July to early August. Takes awhile for those big boys to enlarge. ;)