The Other Secret Garden

Jim Glock

07/07/09
Many of you know of Nancy Forester's "Secret Garden" in Key West. However there is another secret garden tucked deep into the Lower Keys. And no this is not the garden that I refer to as "Judy's Jungle". I am privileged to help take care of this garden during the summer. The owner of this garden is a very good friend of mine....and I know that he is watching:) I have not a shred of doubt that in time this garden will be the finest collection of crotons in the continental United States. The color and leaf size of these crotons will make you drool. Yes, even our own "Croton Whore" Judy drools as she walks through this garden. On a few occasion I have been able to slip my camera into the garden. I wanted to post a few to just give you a hint. Please note the Irene Kingsley in the first photo. The colors are so bright that the picture does not do it justice. Enjoy

Attachments

• IreneKingsley.jpeg
    IreneKingsley.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 162
  • MrsIceton.jpg
    MrsIceton.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 166
  • CollageofColor.jpeg
    CollageofColor.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 198
  • CollageofColor2.jpeg
    CollageofColor2.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 179
Well folks, there are only so many homes with larger properties in the Lower Keys. By process of elimination, we can figure this one out. Clippers? Check. Bags? Check. Root tone? Check. Address? Well, still a bit of a problem, Houston.

Maybe the Croton Whore can be bribed.

We've been spending a little time in the keys and last week I was blindfolded, spun around three times, and driven to a secure location. All I can say for sure is that it's somewhere between Key West and Marathon, and that there's massive walls of crotons everywhere. There were a lot of very attractive varieties, with a great layout. Raised beds, winding paths, nice shading. The garden isn't completely finished, and the future projects were oddly refered to as "six-packs" and "twelve-packs."

I would like to visit again someday, but how?

Anyone with too much time on their hands tried viewing any satelite photos from various on-line sources? The Google satelite views are quite helpful when going to a plant nut's home the first time. Find the neighborhood and look for the big blob of green.

Last weekend Ray (Crazy for Crotons) and his wife Miriam were spending a few days on vacation in the Lower Keys. On Friday evening they spent the night with Judy & I at "Judy's Jungle" on Cudjoe Key. They toured Judy's croton collection and came to the same conclusion...these plants are on some wicked growth drugs!

On Saturday we blindfolded both Ray and Miriam, spun them around three times and then wisked them to a secluded location on Summerland Key. When the blindfolds were removed Ray dropped to his knees arms outstretched to the heavens knowing that he was in the midst of the rare and unknown "Secret Garden". We toured the Secret Garden while Ray took in all of the sights.

The picture posted to this shows Judy, Ray, and Miriam in the Secret Garden. Judy is holding (gulp) a pair of clippers! How did she slip these past the metal detectors? I hope the owner does not get wind of Judy and the clippers:)

Attachments

• Ray & Miriam.JPG
    Ray & Miriam.JPG
    672.3 KB · Views: 153
Great pics Jim! What is the name of the Croton (center) post #1 bottom right?

Like I said earlier, the month of June is an excellent time to visit the lower Keyes. Because of my highly evolved Bird Dog sense of smell and direction, it will prove to be no problem in going back.:cool:

Time to play with the Big Boys.....

I got it from a reliable source that the owner of the other Secret Garden lurks in the shadows of this forum. Judy you are sooooo busted! :eek:

Last weekend Ray (Crazy for Crotons) and his wife Miriam were spending a few days on vacation in the Lower Keys. On Friday evening they spent the night with Judy & I at "Judy's Jungle" on Cudjoe Key. They toured Judy's croton collection and came to the same conclusion...these plants are on some wicked growth drugs!

On Saturday we blindfolded both Ray and Miriam, spun them around three times and then wisked them to a secluded location on Summerland Key. When the blindfolds were removed Ray dropped to his knees arms outstretched to the heavens knowing that he was in the midst of the rare and unknown "Secret Garden". We toured the Secret Garden while Ray took in all of the sights.

The picture posted to this shows Judy, Ray, and Miriam in the Secret Garden. Judy is holding (gulp) a pair of clippers! How did she slip these past the metal detectors? I hope the owner does not get wind of Judy and the clippers:)