Jeffs Garden

pocomo

26/03/10
Jeff and I got together yesterday. Some exchanges were made and I got to look at the operation. A lot of nice things on there way at the nursery. The diner Jeff new was closed so we did subway. Then went out to his house to look at things. It became sensory overload. Too many names and a lot of well grown crotons. For me there were lots of bloomers and possibilities. Searle has got to get on the band wagon and start pollinating stuff. Enough of the "when I get older it will give me something to do" act. So anyway I pollinated polychrome with monarch and a few other things. Hope you remember where they are Jeff. Had a good day.Chris

Phil
I usually plant them as soon as they come off the plant. Last year though I went away after planting about 50 seeds. I was gone for a month and I only had 5 plants growing when I got home. It might have been a mango hitting the pot that caused mortality. I also found seeds that I missed collecting probably a month and a half later and none of them sprouted. I think it's best to plant them asap. Since crotons are native to the tropics I'm pretty sure their viability isn't that long. I wouldn't wait more than a month but if I have good seed I'm going to plant them.

Thanks, Chris. That explains why nothing from last Dec and planted a month ago has sprouted. Hardly seems like a good survival strategy for a plant, but when you have humans propagating the plant, why mess with seeds.
Kieth mentioned it to me the other day and wanted to check with others.

Sex in Jeff's garden ? :eek: I thought that only happened when Jim Glock was visiting ? :rolleyes:

Jeff and I got together yesterday. Some exchanges were made and I got to look at the operation. A lot of nice things on there way at the nursery. The diner Jeff new was closed so we did subway. Then went out to his house to look at things. It became sensory overload. Too many names and a lot of well grown crotons. For me there were lots of bloomers and possibilities. Searle has got to get on the band wagon and start pollinating stuff. Enough of the "when I get older it will give me something to do" act. So anyway I pollinated polychrome with monarch and a few other things. Hope you remember where they are Jeff. Had a good day.Chris