Mallet/scale

pocomo

26/03/10
Well they're starting to get to me. To my crotons anyway. That soft green scale. How much mallet per 3 gallon pot. I've been using about 1 1/2 tablespoons per pot and after a week it looks like they're starting to proliferate. I started washing them off with a very fine jet stream from the hose. At least that's getting rid of them. I lost one croton last year because of it and I don't want to lose anymore. Jeff I know you told me but it's been awhile.
Chris

Well they're starting to get to me. To my crotons anyway. That soft green scale. How much mallet per 3 gallon pot. I've been using about 1 1/2 tablespoons per pot and after a week it looks like they're starting to proliferate. I started washing them off with a very fine jet stream from the hose. At least that's getting rid of them. I lost one croton last year because of it and I don't want to lose anymore. Jeff I know you told me but it's been awhile.
Chris

Chris,

Like you probably already know, there's no precise directions for using this product on the bag. After some experimenting around, and over time, I found that using 3 tablespoons in a 3 gallon pot gave me very good results. I still have several plants that as airlayers, were potted up last summer and still have no scale. It's been around 7 months or so. So, I'm very pleased with that.
Jeff

Chris,

Like you probably already know, there's no precise directions for using this product on the bag. After some experimenting around, and over time, I found that using 3 tablespoons in a 3 gallon pot gave me very good results. I still have several plants that as airlayers, were potted up last summer and still have no scale. It's been around 7 months or so. So, I'm very pleased with that.
Jeff

Jeff, Is the Mallet your using called "Mallet 75 wsp"?

Well I bumped up the dosage. We'll see what happens. It's Mallet 0.5g. I got mine from Jeff.
Chris

The mallet seems to protect against the scale for atleast half a year.

Now if you have scale on the plant currently, it takes about a month for the chemicals to get in the system and kill off whats there. What I usually do is if I do see scale alive on the plant, I will use fish oil/organicide to kill what is there, and use the Mallet to keep it off.

On another note, the Bayers tree and shrub liquid or granular both have a higher percentage of the active ingredient, compared to Mallet, i think its as much as 3x higher!

The mallet seems to protect against the scale for atleast half a year.

Now if you have scale on the plant currently, it takes about a month for the chemicals to get in the system and kill off whats there. What I usually do is if I do see scale alive on the plant, I will use fish oil/organicide to kill what is there, and use the Mallet to keep it off.

On another note, the Bayers tree and shrub liquid or granular both have a higher percentage of the active ingredient, compared to Mallet, i think its as much as 3x higher!

I agree with Rob,the Bayer works much longer.I have a bunch that I have treated over 2 years ago and they are still scale free.It is expensive a little though :(

I think that Bayer product is what Ray has been touting for years as being most effective. Luckily I've yet to see the little buggers on my crotons.

Well the old treatment on many of my plants is wearing off. The scale has returned and is attempting to establish a foothold. :( Just this weekend I went and found a 30 lb. bag.

Going untreated my plants will suffer and start becoming unsightly in a very short time period. Chris is correct that left unchecked, death of the plant could result. :mad:

Just came inside after treating my crotons. I went through 40 lbs. Had to treat the neighbors crotons as well. They were heavily infested and may have been the source of the scale on my plants. :mad:

Not a cheap product but well worth it in my opinion. I should be good for the rest of the year. Now for some rain to help it get soaked up by the roots. :rolleyes:

Just came inside after treating my crotons. I went through 40 lbs. Had to treat the neighbors crotons as well. They were heavily infested and may have been the source of the scale on my plants. :mad:

Not a cheap product but well worth it in my opinion. I should be good for the rest of the year. Now for some rain to help it get soaked up by the roots. :rolleyes:

Wash your hands before your sammich:D

If you let the Bayer product in the blue bottle sit around too long, the active ingredients tend to fall out of the emulsion, i.e., there's a lot fo white glop in the bottom. Almost takes one of those paint can shakers to get the stuff back in the emulsion so watch it if you're using close-out or an old batch,

If you let the Bayer product in the blue bottle sit around too long, the active ingredients tend to fall out of the emulsion, i.e., there's a lot fo white glop in the bottom. Almost takes one of those paint can shakers to get the stuff back in the emulsion so watch it if you're using close-out or an old batch,

I use the Bayer granules so this is not a problem for me,It is expensive $50 for 10lbs.It lasts me around 2 years and treats about 150 crotons over that period of time.

Chris I feel your pain. I have a bag of 0.5% and it only shows application rates of 60-80# / acre so I asked the guy behind the counter how many crotons in a acre? He missed the joke. The best I could find is 3 Tbs./3 Gal pot this seems to work on crotons but I also have a Cycas debaoensis and it has scale all the time at this rate. might try 5Tbs./3 Gal will keep you posted. Kip

There is another new product out that i am going to try it is called Mantra has any one tryed it yet. I beleive it is about fifty bucks for ten pounds .i can zap the scale but it always seam to come back.I hate the scale

I only grow in planters and it seems that you can kill em with malithion or liquid seven , but without the new chemicals we may never get rid of them any lenght of time

New product but with the same active ingredient "imidacloprid" which the most widely used neurotoxic insecticide in the world...... the patent has expired (Bayer) so the product can be manufactured by many different companies under different trade names. Be aware of how you spend that 50 bucks....:eek:

Admire is another one with the same active agent

You can try Actara (containing thiamethoxam)

Croton Scale has a waxy layer of skin which protects the lil b!tches........ if you first spray with a soapy detergent it helps strip the wax coating from their undesirable bodies, after a couple of hours apply the pesticide, this will help improve the effectiveness of the pesticide.

Remember to repeat after a couple of day to get rid of the newbies from hatched eggs.
Hope this helps.

Another similar (Group 4A) insecticide is Safari 20SG. A 12 oz container will set you back about $125 but it makes approx 120 gal of spray. Lots of info available on-line.

I have a couple plants that are getting hit by scale. What I've been doing is squashing them with my fingers.

I also use a soap/alcohol/water mix and spray them. You have to stay on top of them and owning a large nursery probably isn't time effective. But, just a simple spray bottle with household ingredients works for me.

You gotta keep an eye on them and get them before they overtake the plant. But, I'm out in the garden every day looking at the plants anyway. The soap and alcohol does nothing to the plant but kills the scale pretty effectively.

But, being that it isn't a systemic and the ants just harvest the scale elsewhere it isn't 100 percent effective. What it does do is knock them back enough for another beneficial insect can come clean them up. I'm also constantly spraying my crotons with a stream of water. I have done this through the years to knock back spider-mites. I think it probably works to keep the scale population if not the ant population back.

I wanted to see how effective this spray is so I sprayed a wasp nest with it. The wasp dropped immediately to their death. 1 part liquid dish soap, 1 part rubbing alcohol, the rest water. Use eye protection...