One of the finest unknowns

Crazy for Crotons

29/06/09
How it looked in January 2009
IMG_0441.jpg

July 2009
IMG_1074.jpg

The air layer is looking good in my garden, Ray needs to put a name on it.

Moose, I have a few of this plant now, remind me later and I will bring you one to Jeffs croton tour.

I am going to have to agree with Phil and Ricky.It sure looks like a Stoplight to me??I have a Stoplight that looks exactly like this one??Ray what are the differences between this one and Stoplight??Perhaps this one is like Irene Kingsley and Satan,Very tiny differences but essentially the same plant??

The leaf shape is not Stoplight. I've never seen a stoplight with such a well defined taper from the fatter portion of the leaf to the narrower section. If it was a Stoplight, Bob Alonzo surely would have recognized it.

I have to agree with Ray. I have mine planted in the Keys. It does not resemble my Stoplight in coloration or leaf shape.

Moose, I have a few of this plant now, remind me later and I will bring you one to Jeffs croton tour.

Keith came through! ;) It is defitely not a Stoplight! As a matter of fact, this croton got moved around from place to place trying to get it the best lighting. Chris (pocomo) has asked, wow what is that? Each time it was in a different location. It keeps attracting his "croton eye". Chris would not react to a Stoplight like that. :p

Thanks for remembering me Keith! :cool:

Attachments

• Finest Unk.jpg
    Finest Unk.jpg
    235.8 KB · Views: 158
The air layer is looking good in my garden, Ray needs to put a name on it.

I agree with you Keith. If its an unnamed Christian hybrid, then that can be acknowledged. Alot of comments are made on this plant from visitors to the Moose Land. You've already kinda named it Ray. Its going around as "The Finest Unknown". You found it, got it back into cultivation. That makes you the adoptive Daddy. Time to give it a "sexy name" in my opinion. :D

When Bob saw this plant in my garden, he did a double take and thought it "could" be Tapestry. He later said he was pretty sure it wasn't but the doubt was there. I'm not starting rumors or misidentifying plants but the older black and red leaves sure look the part.

Here are some photos Lee sent me of the real Tapestry. It's not a dead ringer but the leaf shape is right. Could light exposure make up for the subtle differences?

Keith came through! ;) It is defitely not a Stoplight! As a matter of fact, this croton got moved around from place to place trying to get it the best lighting. Chris (pocomo) has asked, wow what is that? Each time it was in a different location. It keeps attracting his "croton eye". Chris would not react to a Stoplight like that. :p

Thanks for remembering me Keith! :cool:

Here is an updated photo of the same plant from about an hour ago.

It looked dried out so I was giving it a good soaking. When I stepped back, I had to go fetch the camera! :eek:

Attachments

• Finest 1.JPG
    Finest 1.JPG
    276.8 KB · Views: 117
  • Finest 2.JPG
    Finest 2.JPG
    271.6 KB · Views: 112
  • Finest 3.JPG
    Finest 3.JPG
    267.6 KB · Views: 123
:rolleyes:Stoplight at the dooryard. All pics are different examples north/east/south side of the joint.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    191.6 KB · Views: 99
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    199.2 KB · Views: 136
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    253.6 KB · Views: 115
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg