Feeding

ScotTi

Esteemed Member
16/04/08
With the days getting longer now all my crotons show new growth buds. Is it to early to start them on my schedule of feeding? A forcast of a extended period of warm weather starts next week for central FL .

Scott,

Right or wrong, I fed mine last weekend. I've been using a water soluable for azaleas and have seen good results. What are you using?

Bren, I use the Miracle-Gro (water soluable / blue box) for azaleas and other acid loving plants. I started feeding them last July on a 2 wk schedule. I believe this is why they came thru our cold weather with very little leaf loss this season.

It's still too cold to start fertilizing. Mid to late March at the earliest.

And speaking of Azaleas - this one NEVER gets fertilized and has been in the ground for 10 years, blooming all the time.

Attachments

• P1010001.jpg
    P1010001.jpg
    323 KB · Views: 76
  • P1010002.jpg
    P1010002.jpg
    239.8 KB · Views: 88
Judy and I also use the Miracle-Gro (water soluable / blue box) for azaleas. In the Keys we start to fertilize about mid February and will do so about every other week until November or December. In Ft. Myers we will wait until the night time temperature are above sixty degrees. We have about 40 air layers on in the Keys currently. They will be potbound and ready to plant by meeting time. The liquid fertilizer just makes the roots pop in the air layers. We make sure that we wet the plant well both below and above the air layers.

Now that new growth has started on my plants, I think it should be ok to start the feeding again here in C. FL. Am I wrong?

Scott,
I wanted to add that mine were over wintered in my make shift heated green house. Almost all but my AFD 5 are in pots that I haul in or out. I think the reasoning is not to fertilize too early for fear any new growth may be zapped by the cold.

I just took off my greenhouse film for the year on my screened room I had wrapped. Not because I wanted to, but I have house guests arriving and I didn't want my redneck greenhouse around for them. It's where I entertain. If we get another bad cold snap, I could potentially be screwed. I am gambling.

Curious - what does a young lady from Wisconsin know about rednecks? LOL :rolleyes:

I am in the Ricky camp about when to start the fertilization. The timing is also mentioned in both Frank Brown books. Why reject so many years of experience? Pushing new vigorous growth to then have it melt down from a late season cold front will really set back your plants. I remember a very chilly day last year on February 25th.

The temptation to fertilize has been hard to resist for me. I just didn't move plants several times and coax them through this winter for the sake of not waiting 36 more days.

Just my philosphy and feelings. :p

Im with you,I prefer to trust my eyes rather than the calendar.My plants are all popping new growth.I am going to fertilize this weekend.Looking at the long range weather forecast there are to be no cold nights (below 50 ) for the next 2 weeks in my zip code.We might have already seen the coldest nights for this winter.

Now that new growth has started on my plants, I think it should be ok to start the feeding again here in C. FL. Am I wrong?

Bull, What is your fert of choice?

I think we all gamble a bit but the plants themselves give us the clues based on the weather they've been exposed too. I don't totally trust mine though as they've had green house conditioned and are in pots. Roll of the dice for me. I know a lot of you have yours in the ground.

I tend to be on the cheap side :) so I just use regular palm special $25 for a 50lb bag.I think that it is 12/4/8 with trace and micronutrients or something like that.The one I am using now bulk packed for nurserymen in a basic white packaging.But I have used the Lesco (lowes) with pretty good results.I am sure that they are better fertilizers if you want to spend more money.

Bull, What is your fert of choice?

I think we all gamble a bit but the plants themselves give us the clues based on the weather they've been exposed too. I don't totally trust mine though as they've had green house conditioned and are in pots. Roll of the dice for me. I know a lot of you have yours in the ground.

Im with you,I prefer to trust my eyes rather than the calendar.My plants are all popping new growth.I am going to fertilize this weekend.Looking at the long range weather forecast there are to be no cold nights (below 50 ) for the next 2 weeks in my zip code.We might have already seen the coldest nights for this winter.

I did not see new growth until April last year. The plants have come thru this winter in great shape no plants were lost and all have leaves. I think the plants are telling me they are ready. Here is Yellow Iceton growing inground, pic taken this past week.

Attachments

• 003.jpg
    003.jpg
    115.6 KB · Views: 100
For me it was a remarkably warm January,after December is was fearing the worst but my Silk Floss which never puts out leaves until mid March is now almost completely covered in leaves.I will trust that my plants know what they are doing :)

I did not see new growth until April last year. The plants have come thru this winter in great shape no plants were lost and all have leaves. I think the plants are telling me they are ready. Here is Yellow Iceton pic taken this past week.