Black Prince, page 60

junglegal

Esteemed Member
30/03/08
On page 60, Dr. Brown discusses a croton popular in Taiwan called Black Prince.
He goes on to say he has named a popular sport of this plant 'Amboina' but he does not include pictures of either. Does anyone have a photo of either that they can share?

I found it interesting that the popular Mrs. Iceton is a sport of Black Prince too.

I'm not 100% sure, but I recall this one being called "The Black Prince" by Mark Peters, who gave it to me. Of course, being on the north side of the garden, it looks like crap right now, but it's got an interrupted leaf and deep black/purple color. The main part of the leaf has that characteristic round Thai shape as well as several oval or oblong sports.

Attachments

• P1010001.jpg
    P1010001.jpg
    373.9 KB · Views: 122
  • P1010002.jpg
    P1010002.jpg
    221.6 KB · Views: 123
  • P1010005.jpg
    P1010005.jpg
    302.3 KB · Views: 109
That's pretty funky looking Ricky. If that is the plant in question, it's hard to believe Mrs. Iceton came from that!

Strange he would devote two paragraphs to this plant, mention he named a sport of it & how popular it is then not include photos.

Jeff,
We need new members in Taiwan!

Today I was reading about the sports of "Amboina" .... and did a search on the forum, and this was the only thread discussing the croton, so thought I would see if anyone else had pictures, or info regarding this croton Dr. Brown mentions in his book.