For the Wiki, taken in my garden.
Jeff

Attachments

• croton soc.@Glocks 12.10 029.jpg
    croton soc.@Glocks 12.10 029.jpg
    385.4 KB · Views: 233
Added to the wiki...
http://www.palmpedia.net/wiki/index.php/FRECKLES

Nice croton - are the wavy leaf margins typical for this variety?

Peyton,

No. This plant is from a very old garden/collection and was given the id from Bob Alonzo but, he did make refrence to questioning it as a true Freckles or another plant that is very identical in colors and spotting, but having a more wavy leaf edge to it than the old original Freckles. For right now, I think it can be put under the Freckles name. Thanks.
Jeff

A two pics of BIG Freckles and two of Little Freckles - there's a 6" rufler in there for scale. BIG freckles came from Jesse Durko's five years or mare ago; it has been quite slow but has never defoliated.

Attachments

• DSCN2975.jpg
    DSCN2975.jpg
    235.4 KB · Views: 235
  • DSCN2976.jpg
    DSCN2976.jpg
    343 KB · Views: 209
  • DSCN2977.jpg
    DSCN2977.jpg
    248.4 KB · Views: 211
  • DSCN2978.jpg
    DSCN2978.jpg
    185.7 KB · Views: 210
...and two more pics of a BIG Freckles (and I have got to proofread my spelling more...).
There's a purple tag in there somewhere - and a 6" rule for scale - from fall 2011 sale.

Attachments

• DSCN2980.jpg
    DSCN2980.jpg
    223.4 KB · Views: 187
  • DSCN2979.jpg
    DSCN2979.jpg
    275.4 KB · Views: 181
Peyton - it sounds like you need to come to our Spring Meeting on Saturday, May 14th. :rolleyes:

I have gotten many positive responses for donations for the auction. It looks like it is shaping up that there may be a large quantity of interesting crotons available at the auction. :cool:

These are two pictures of Judy's Freckles in Fort Myers. Judy was given this plant years ago from Bob Halgrim when he was a patient of hers. In fact it was Bob Halgrim who infected Judy with this Croton sickness.

There are a few leaves with ruffles, but not many. Most of them have smooth edges.

Attachments

• Freckles1.jpg
    Freckles1.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 237
  • Freckles2..jpg
    Freckles2..jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 211
These are two pictures of Judy's Freckles in Fort Myers. Judy was given this plant years ago from Bob Halgrim when he was a patient of hers. In fact it was Bob Halgrim who infected Judy with this Croton sickness.

There are a few leaves with ruffles, but not many. Most of them have smooth edges.

Jim,

Very nice, especially considering all the sun it gets.

Phil,

Your first two pic's are Freckles, but the other, I just don't see it.

So it isn't a freckles? It went from Cleo's hands into mine and that is what he called it. I like it whatever it is and yes I thought it was cheap. He has numerous variety of croton available and he is blowing them out. Vero Beach Gardenfest is today also (Sunday 2/5). Peters Crotons is there also and I picked up a bunch of different cordyline (yes, he is into ti now also) and AFD #5 and #7 along with some others.

Well it was super busy and many people were tugging at cleo and/or maybe there was a freckles next to it as the sign also said 'freckles $8'. Maybe it was in error. Doesn't matter to me. I like it!

Freckles 1.JPG
Freckles 2.JPG
Here are a couple of shots of Robert Halgrim's Freckles. This is from a cutting I was given from Dr. Frank Brown's garden. It was entered into the Tropical Fern & Exotic Plant Society's Show. There were two others there but this one was awarded a Blue Ribbon. The leaves were larger and had superior color. It drew much attention and many offers to purchase it were refused.

I think that incorporating composted oak leaves in my soil mix and the use of Diamond's 12-4-12 palm fertilizer for containers makes the difference.

Sorry for the "hazy" photos. The lens must have gotten foggy in the humid morning air. :eek:

Last edited: