Croton Society Meeting Saturday, May 14th

Moose

Esteemed Member
10/09/09
I have organized a croton society meeting for Saturday, May 14, 2011. It will be in Hollywood, FL at Waykoolplantz (Mike's) garden. Mike has a very nice garden with many other plantings beides his impressive croton collection. Please PM me with your e-mail address for details. It is anticipated that this will be a very well attended event, please RSVP so we can make appropriate accommodations.

BBQ'd chicken for lunch, we are asking that members to please bring a side dish.

Please mark your calendars for our first meeting of 2011!

Ron. :)

Moose - While it's way too far out in the future for me to say absolutely that I'll be there, if I'm coming, you can count on a big pot of Boca Boys Baked Beans.

Moose,

PM me with info about surrounding hotels. This is going to be a great event! Thanks for organizing it and a big thanks to Mike for opening up his gardens to us!

Unless we are both in the hospital with broken legs, Judy and I will be there. I can't think of a more perfect site for a croton meeting. For thoes of you who have never been to Mike's garden, you are in for a special treat. Not only is the garden a fantastic slice a paradise that Mike has created, I cannot think of a more gracious host than Mike Harris. And having an "Event Planner" like the Moose, this will be a hit. It is on my calender with a big circle around it.

Unless we are both in the hospital with broken legs, Judy and I will be there. I can't think of a more perfect site for a croton meeting. For thoes of you who have never been to Mike's garden, you are in for a special treat. Not only is the garden a fantastic slice a paradise that Mike has created, I cannot think of a more gracious host than Mike Harris. And having an "Event Planner" like the Moose, this will be a hit. It is on my calender with a big circle around it.

Ok, and not to mention the 100 plus year old oak trees on his property, huge Corypha palms, a nice collection of Dypsis from Madagascar, and...must I say more?
Jeff

Hello, Mr.Moose Knuckle
I am new to the site and came across the meeting,I guess my question is how does one go about becoming a member? I would enjoy seeing some landscapes with all the crotons that I have seen on the site.Can one become a member in time for the meeting? anyways, thanks for you time and any info would be a great help.
sincerly, Jeff

Hi Jeff,

Show up and become a member on spot! You can't beat the price. You'll get Dr. Brown's book at a steal and crotons at auction if you choose to participate. Can't beat the bang for the buck at these happenings. My collection doubled from last fall's meeting & I didn't have to break the bank. Some bring cuttings willing to share freely. We have the auction in order to keep the society afloat. Great fun!

Please join us! By the way, how did you stumble upon this site?

For Jeff Thomas: You do not have to be a member of the Croton Society to attend.
However, you are encouraged to join since the cost of one year's membership covers the discount you get on Dr. Brown's book - it's a win/win deal.

The closest hotels are

Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Pembroke Pines - Sheridan (about 5 miles)

Hard Rock Hotel (about 5.5 miles)

Renaissance Fort Lauderdale-Plantation Hotel (about 6.5 miles)

... my question is how does one go about becoming a member?
A membership application can be printed from the Croton Society website:
http://www.crotons.org/
It's a real deal, as you get the book Crotons of the World for only $20 USD - I was getting ready to order the book from somewhere else for at least double that when I stumbled across the Croton Society deal - membership is only $25 USD ($35 if international membership)...
The book has the best collection of croton photos that you'll find anywhere, plus lots of interesting historical information about crotons.
BTW Amazon only wants 75 bucks for the book, more if it's used:
http://www.amazon.com/Codiaeum-Encyclopedia-Crotons-World/dp/B0006PGEY0

The moose has had some computer issues that are still unresolved. I have done some descriminate trimming of some of my crotons. I spent Valentine's Day getting these cuttings situated in a mist house. If all goes well, I am hoping to have at least 30+ varieties well rooted for the meeting. :rolleyes:

The moose has had some computer issues that are still unresolved. I have done some descriminate trimming of some of my crotons. I spent Valentine's Day getting these cuttings situated in a mist house. If all goes well, I am hoping to have at least 30+ varieties well rooted for the meeting. :rolleyes:

Ron,

That's very generous of you, this is why the Croton Society meetings and garden tours are truly the best thing going.:)

We have seperate Croton and Palm Tours scheduled for Mike's garden. We are working on putting together an air layer demonstration. Lunch and huge auction to follow and ...

PM (Private Message) me for further information.

Here is a partial list of cultivars I took cuttings of and are in the mist house. Hopefully they will take and will be worthy to make it to the auction. :)

Corkscrew
Dayspring
Christian's Landscape
Baron Rothschild
Multicolor (aka Cobra Head)
Robert Lavalois
Davis #1
Reliant
Dr. Frank Brown
Volutum (Ram's Horn)
Fishbone
Ovalifolium (Black Prince?)
Queen Victoria
Pride of Winter Haven
Van Buren
Eburneum
Pink Eburneum

:)Some more cuttings in the mist house... all look like they are going to take so far.

Kentucky
Jungle Queen
Baron le Compt'e
Charmer
Miami Beauty
McAdoo
Carmen Christian
Majesticum ?

Jim Glock has volunteered to do the air layering demonstration with Judy assisting. Thanks to to Glocks and their involvement with the Croton Society! :cool:

We have seperate Croton and Palm Tours scheduled for Mike's garden. We are working on putting together an air layer demonstration. Lunch and huge auction to follow and ...

PM (Private Message) me for further information.

Here is the remaining list of cuttings I have going in the mist house for the auction table at the meeting/garden tour. They have now been in the mist house for 22 days. Hopefully they are sprouting some nice roots by now.

Christmas
Revelation
Willian Jennings Bryan
Wooten Beauty
Pie Crust
Charles Rutherford
Rembrandt

:)

Melbourne Mike, I private messaged you the itenerary and directions. Check your messages.

I spoke to Bob Alonzo yesterday. He is trying to attend but can not commit. Bob's uncle is ailing and Bob takes it one day at a time. Hopefully he will make it. :)

Two weeks to go and counting....

Andrea and I will be going, who else will be attending? I got the announcement from the Society this week and it sounds like a day long, full of activities meeting. Starting off with a 9:00am breakfast for those that want an early start.:) I have a feeling the auction will include lots of goodies. See you all there.
Jeff

Overflow parking would be at Brian Piccolo Park to the south if that many showed up. We are requesting that side dishes be brought by attendees for our scrumptious mid-day feast. :cool:

Wear bright colored clothes, Ryan (Palmarum) is going to take a ton of pictures. ;)

I will be there. I will be bringing some interesting cuttings...like my unidentified yellow croton that I've nicknamed "Easter" and 'Duncan' for the auction. I may also have a tortise shell or two!

Did a little pre-tour yesterday while setting up logistics for the meeting. Here is a list (allow for my untrained croton eye please) of cultivars to be seen for those who attend next Saturday:

Acubefolium
AFD #7 (Fantasia)
America
Andreanum (Canned Sunshine)
Appendiculatum
Applause
Arrowhead
Aureo Maculatum (Gold Dust)
Baron Rothschild
Batik (Red)
Benjamin Franklin
Black Thai
Bogoriensis
Bravo
Buddy (Edwin Lonsdale???)
Candycane
Captain Gilbert Cutler
Carmen Christian
Caribbean Star
Catherine Gephart
Charles Rutherford
Charmer
Christian's Landscape
Christmas
Colocasia Motito ???
Commotion
Compte' de Germiny
Congo
Coppinger Hybrid
Coral Shower
Corot
Davis Hybrid
Dayspring
Doctor Frank Brown
Doctor Lin Yu Tang
Dr. Suesse (Green Eggs & Ham)
Dreadlocks
Duke of Windsor
Duncan Macaw
Earlscourt
Eburneum
Eleanor Fischer (One looks exceptional!)
Eleanor Roosevelt
Embassy
Ethel Craig
Excalibur X Rocio
Excellent
Excurrens
Fishbone
Franklin Roosevelt
Freckles
Fred Sanders
General Lawrence
General MacArthur
General Marshall
General Paget
Gloriosa Superba
Goldfinger
Harvest Moon
Her Highness
Honeycomb
Hot & Steamy
Irene Kingsley
Irresistable
Jean Francis Fascell
Johanna Coppinger
Johannis (looks like Goldilocks???)
John Bender
Jungle Queen
Kentucky
Lemon & Lime
Leopardia
Lord Bellhaven
Lucia
Louis Dupuy
MacArthurii
Madame Butterfly
Madam Fernand Kohl
Magnificient
Majesticum
Mammie
Maximum
Mons Florin
Mrs. Iceton
Mrs. Snyder's Disraeli
Multicolor (Cobra Head)
Nestor (large one at rear of property in heavy shade has outstanding colors and large leaves)
Norman Rockell (looks like Rembrandt)
Norma
Ovalifolium
Pappey
Peace
Picasso's Paintbrush (Pele's Fire)
Piecrust (sy. Mortimer, sy. Undulatum)
Pink Eburneum
Pinocchio
Polychrome
Porter's Pink Veitchii
President Eisenhower
President Reagan
Pride of Winter Haven
Punctatum
Purity
Queen Elizabeth
Ram's Horn (sy. Volutum)
Raphael
Raja
Rheedii #1
Rheedii #3
Red Quill
Red Spider (hopefully not mites, LOL! :))
Revolution
Rex
Robert Halgrim
Robert Lavolois
Rooster Tail
Rudy Bachman
Satan
Scarecrow (now recognized as Heaven)
South Pacific
Stain Glass
Stewartii
Stoplight
Sunny Star
Sweet Marie
Sybil Griffin
Tamara
Thanksgiving
Thomas Edison
Tortoise Shell
Victoria's Gold Bell
Victoria's Gold Bell - Pink Form
Wilma
Wizard
Wooton Beauty
Yellow Banana - Dwarf
Yellow Johanna Coppinger
Yellow Mammie
Yellow Mrs. Iceton
Yellow Petra
Zaradroga
#54 (Unnamed cultivar that J. Searle is cultivating)

If this list does not intrigue, check yourself for a pulse ... :eek:

Don't forget, Bagels, muffins, juice, coffee ... 9:00 am for the early birds. :)