Is it Philadelphia?

Crazy for Crotons

29/06/09
IMG_1471.jpg

Where's Bob Alonzo when you need him? I'm still waiting on a promise he made to get over to my yard before early October. I need him to clear up some very interesting crotons before I put them out for sale come Oct. 2nd, 3rd and 4th.

This Philadelphia is from Jeff last year. It needs to go in the ground & it's looked better. The second photo it is shown next to a Eugenia for scale. (not THAT kind of scale)

Attachments

• DSC_0042.jpg
    DSC_0042.jpg
    159.8 KB · Views: 151
  • DSC_0030.jpg
    DSC_0030.jpg
    233.6 KB · Views: 133
Bob mentioned to me that Philadelphia is a very consistent oak leaf and has little if any variability. The one in Jeff's picture has quite a bit of variation between leaves i.e. varying leaf length, shape, lobe size. That said, I've never seen Philadelphia in person so perhaps Jeff's plant is the real deal.

Bob mentioned to me that Philadelphia is a very consistent oak leaf and has little if any variability. The one in Jeff's picture has quite a bit of variation between leaves i.e. varying leaf length, shape, lobe size. That said, I've never seen Philadelphia in person so perhaps Jeff's plant is the real deal.

Don't use mine as a perfect leaf shape. It was in the shade for a few months & then back in sun for a few. The original leaves were consistent in size & color. More shrub like.

Randy,

Philadelphia has some pink to the leaf underside. Check yours and that will help with an ID. Maybe you can throw an air layer on yours for me? ;)

Ray

Ray, This is a different plant than the previous one. It has pinkish leaf undersides. Is this Philly?

Attachments

• DSC_0013_2.jpg
    DSC_0013_2.jpg
    218.7 KB · Views: 129
  • DSC_0014_2.jpg
    DSC_0014_2.jpg
    134.5 KB · Views: 127
What was the outcome? Were these Philadelphia ? If not does anyone have one that would like to post a photo. If I recall properly, the semi-oak shaped leaves were not very large on the one I killed ? :confused:

What was the outcome? Were these Philadelphia ? If not does anyone have one that would like to post a photo. If I recall properly, the semi-oak shaped leaves were not very large on the one I killed ? :confused:

For those of you that come to the November Croton Tour, I have a couple of decent size plants that Bob had named for me to see.

This is the description from the WIKI. The photo is mine from this evening. The difference in the lobes is obvious.

Type Q, 2-1/2" x 7", - Generally one side lobe is pointed and the other rounded. Ground color is bright green. Generally the midrib is irregularly margined yellow and leaf dotted and splashed yellow. A very effective oak leaf. Never shows and red traits.

REF: Paper prepared by Wm. A. Geiger in collaboration with Mr. Christian of the Christian Nursery, Mr. Van der Lean and Mr. George L. Peacock. p.13.

Rather small, brilliant yellow leaves of oak leaf type.

REF: Reasoner's Tropical Nurseries inc, croton listing. Group 1, Common Varieties, p.2.

Attachments

• DSC_0018.jpg
    DSC_0018.jpg
    157.2 KB · Views: 94
The last photo looks like an old variety named Craigii (see Albert Byrd Graf's book Exotica). Do not confuse that with Craigii Supreme. It's another old cultivar named Craigii. As Phil says, "Onward through the fog."