Kudos to Scott M!!

junglegal

Esteemed Member
30/03/08
He's been busting butt posting pics in the wiki. You will also notice he placed asterisks next to the croton names. If you see that, it means there is no picture present. The WIKI is really shaping up!

What those asterisks also means is that if you have a camera, and are growing that croton, you could help a lot by uploading a pic of it to the wiki. The "crew" can get it to the right place if you need help.

Here is another thought for the Wiki page. If the Croton is pictured in Dr. Browns book, should it be noted on the Wiki page. See Amabile in the Wiki as example. What are your thoughts?

I would like to see references for all the names in the wiki, though I realize that is probably not possible for every name...
So yes it would be a good thing to note Crotons of the World as a reference.

I would also like to see references to other name sources when they can be found, for example "found by Jeff Searle at the old Richard Krukonis property in Miami in 2005 and named 'CATCH OF THE DAY' by Mr. Searle until such time that an original name can be identified..."

Places, dates, finders, breeders, synonyms etc should all be noted in the wiki whenever possible.

I also think that we should use the same citation style throughout the wiki, for example:

Brown, B. Frank 1995. Crotons of the World. p 66.

I just think that we should make this endeavor as professional and presentable as possible...

I also think that we should use the same citation style throughout the wiki, for example:

Brown, B. Frank 1995. Crotons of the World. p 66.

I just think that we should make this endeavor as professional and presentable as possible...

I have the Frank B. Brown Crotons of the World credit on named Crotons A-I so far and will continue on. I have added/relocated any text that was on the page to the top. I have avoided the unofficial correction list for the book. Example the unofficial correction list, lists p. 103 Barbara Bush is really Evening Embers, I did not credit B.Bush or E. Embers to the book. Should I just skip or add with the correction?

My view is the more documentation the better, so I think we should note the correction with a link to the corrections list:

Brown, B. Frank 1995. Crotons of the World. p 103, photo labeled 'Barbara Bush' is 'Evening Embers'.
See unofficial book corrections at http://www.palmpedia.net/wiki/index.php/UNOFFICIAL_CORRECTION_LIST_TO_FRANK_BROWN'S_BOOK

Or we could say "is actually 'Evening Embers'."
or "is believed to be 'Evening Embers'." - I kind of like this wording...

Also, any other known references to this cultivar should be noted as well.
Any members here with knowledge of this sort should post it on the forum or send a Private Message or email to Scott, myself, Bren or any active involved member so that we can get that information into the wiki...

An interesting note here is that 'Barbara Bush', like many of the crotons pictured in Brown's book, is not mentioned anywhere in the text of the book...
In other words there is no documentation of the origin (when/where/who?) of this croton or its name.
'Evening Embers' is not mentioned anywhere in Brown's book.
It would be nice if we could document origins wherever possible, like where did the name 'Evening Embers' come from?

Peyton, I also like the wording "is believed to be" for the correction list names.

My view is the more documentation the better, so I think we should note the correction with a link to the corrections list:

Brown, B. Frank 1995. Crotons of the World. p 103, photo labeled 'Barbara Bush' is 'Evening Embers'.
See unofficial book corrections at http://www.palmpedia.net/wiki/index.php/UNOFFICIAL_CORRECTION_LIST_TO_FRANK_BROWN'S_BOOK

Or we could say "is actually 'Evening Embers'."
or "is believed to be 'Evening Embers'." - I kind of like this wording...

Also, any other known references to this cultivar should be noted as well.
Any members here with knowledge of this sort should post it on the forum or send a Private Message or email to Scott, myself, Bren or any active involved member so that we can get that information into the wiki...

An interesting note here is that 'Barbara Bush', like many of the crotons pictured in Brown's book, is not mentioned anywhere in the text of the book...
In other words there is no documentation of the origin (when/where/who?) of this croton or its name.
'Evening Embers' is not mentioned anywhere in Brown's book.
It would be nice if we could document origins wherever possible, like where did the name 'Evening Embers' come from?

Peyton, See the B.Bush/Evening Embers WIKI page. What do you think of the wording?