Name Needed

Jim Glock

07/07/09
I threw this out a few years ago and it "stumped the band". Since we have a lot of new blood on the forum, I thought that I would try again. The gentleman holding this leaf brought a few of these back from the Dominican Republic. Judy and I were fortunate to get one to live and it is doing well in the Keys. I would like to see if anyone might have an idea of what this might be.

PS you get points if you can ID the hairy arm in the photo.

Attachments

• parentofmystery.jpeg.jpg
    parentofmystery.jpeg.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 112
The arm indead is that of Jeff Searle. Jeff brought back a few four inch sticks of this plant. I think that the plant that we have is the only one of the bunch that made it.

This weekend, I'll post a picture of the offspring. Perhaps that might help with an ID.

Jim,
Could it be a Tiger Eye? The leaf shape and spotting are right. The picture in Brown's book shows a lot of red even though I usually think orange and yellow for Tiger Eye.

The soil and light in the DR could change the color. A friend from Grenada just brought up a Madam Butterfly that I didn't recognize because of the colors. Turns out I had given him the original plant.
Marie

The photo is from the parent plant in the D. R. We don't think that it is Tiger Eye, because we do have a Tiger Eye in the Keys and they are very different. The Tiger Eye has much more orange spotting.

Ok,OK, I admit, it's my arm.:)

Marie, I have the same plant, and went out and looked at it yesterday. I noticed two things, first, this plant although is similar to a Tiger Eye in leaf shape, but it never gets the orange colors and seems to remain red with the spotting. The second thing was, my plant was sitting next to a few Magnificents and the colors were basically the same, kind of scary. So, closer to a Magnificent with a different leaf shape.
Jeff