Daybreak???

Bullwinkle

Esteemed Member
17/11/10
Not too sure about this one.It looked alot better before the cold snap of last month.It has proceeded to drop almost all the leaves.Before the snap it had long slender pink leaves around 24" long.

Attachments

• 114_0004 (2).jpg
    114_0004 (2).jpg
    322.7 KB · Views: 178
  • 114_0005 (2).jpg
    114_0005 (2).jpg
    221.8 KB · Views: 168
Daybreak is not found in Moose Land :(. Is this a sport from Dayspring? Anyone know the orgin of this cultivar? A rooted cutting at the auction table for our next meeting on Saturday, May 14th would be well received for sure! :rolleyes:

Leaves are starting to pop everywhere on this one.I will see what I can do as far as the auction,she is not too big right now and I already have a layer promised to a friend :)

Bullwinkle brought a sample leaf to our croton garden tour at Mike Harris' this last Saturday. The pictures do not do this croton justice. If the leaf Bullwinkle showed me is typical, it is a beautiful unique cultivar for sure. :eek:

If there is a waiting list for an airlayer, please add the Moose's name. Happy to trade! :cool:

Mike brought me a one gallon air layer of this plant. I was skeptical at first as the leaves were of Dayspring proportions. As the air layer was getting established, it began to produce much longer leaves. It got stepped up into a 2 gallon container and the new leaves are now measuring 19 inches. This is a very pretty and nicely colored croton. I can not wait to get this one in the ground and see its true potential. :cool:

Mike did not have a Dayspring at the Bullwinkle Ranch Estate, he does now.

Mike - thank you for this awesome cultivar! :)

Hmmm,cant help you there Moose.D'ont have enough experience to agree or disagree.One thing for sure many crotons are floating around with multiple names.

Hmmm,cant help you there Moose.D'ont have enough experience to agree or disagree.One thing for sure many crotons are floating around with multiple names.
Your right Mike and it's getting worse all the time. I probably piss some people off but I'm a purist. If someone is uncertain about the lineage of a plant they've found, it should be unknown hybrid #9, 15 or whatever number you're up to. I can understand seedlings but if you found it somewhere and are uncertain, don't name the thing.

I kinda disagree Ray. Take "Grandma" for instance. "Grandma" is not really named however, it is what I have been calling it until a definitive ID can be made. That is why every "Grandma" croton that has left the Moose Land is tagged in quotation marks. I think that the numbering thing can get confusing also. Palms are so much easier, Genus, Species, cultivar done. I also understand your position as a purist. If that irritates someone, then that is their issue. Just my opinion. :)

Your right Mike and it's getting worse all the time. I probably piss some people off but I'm a purist. If someone is uncertain about the lineage of a plant they've found, it should be unknown hybrid #9, 15 or whatever number you're up to. I can understand seedlings but if you found it somewhere and are uncertain, don't name the thing.

..and here's a few more pics of Majesticum. Original plant came from John Bender. Leaves can easily get to 24"; a bit tender in cold wx but it has survived the past 8 years or so in the ground.

Attachments

• DSCN3344.jpg
    DSCN3344.jpg
    270.1 KB · Views: 144
  • DSCN3345.jpg
    DSCN3345.jpg
    266.7 KB · Views: 141
  • DSCN3346.jpg
    DSCN3346.jpg
    280.1 KB · Views: 144
Here is a potted up air layer that Bullwinkle (Mike) gave to me. 1st Photo: Leaves 2 inches wide. 2nd Photo: Leaves 20-21 inches long. Regardless of the name, it is a very nice looking cultivar. :)

Attachments

• Daybreak 3.jpg
    Daybreak 3.jpg
    160.8 KB · Views: 117
  • Daybreak 2.jpg
    Daybreak 2.jpg
    115.3 KB · Views: 125
  • Daybreak.jpg
    Daybreak.jpg
    208.6 KB · Views: 153
Its been in the ground since Oct. Its way too fast for a Majesticum. It must be a Daybreak. I'll try and get an updated picture. Mike's was looking real good during my last visit at the Bullwikle Ranch Estate. ;)

I had thought that this cultivar was probably Majesticim also.Funny enough I got a Majesticum from the same gentleman that I got the Daybreak from.They are quite different side by side.The daybreak has wider,longer and more robust leaves.It is also a pretty fast grower.

Its been in the ground since Oct. Its way too fast for a Majesticum. It must be a Daybreak. I'll try and get an updated picture. Mike's was looking real good during my last visit at the Bullwikle Ranch Estate. ;)

However, the leaves are not short. That base of that palm is not a Licuala. Its actually a juvenile Corypha umbraculifera. I laid out a blue 12' measuring stick to aid in the scale. I realize that the posted photos my have been deceiving. :eek:

Attachments

• Croton Landscape 66.jpg
    Croton Landscape 66.jpg
    355.4 KB · Views: 156
  • Croton Landscape 67.jpg
    Croton Landscape 67.jpg
    222.1 KB · Views: 160
Wow - can't believe how much everything has grown since Feb. Even the Talipot palm did a bit of a jump. Daybreak seems to be happy. ;)

Attachments

• Daybreak 1.JPG
    Daybreak 1.JPG
    398.2 KB · Views: 112
  • Daybreak 2.JPG
    Daybreak 2.JPG
    417.6 KB · Views: 105
well what would these be? daybreak,dayspring,springbreak,majesticum,?
These crotons are getting to confusing with all the names

Attachments

• IMG_1307.jpg
    IMG_1307.jpg
    355 KB · Views: 118
  • IMG_1308.jpg
    IMG_1308.jpg
    322.2 KB · Views: 111
Daybreak is a little more robust than Majesticum.It is a also a moderate grower were majesticum is pretty slow.Your first pic looks like majesticum to me.

well what would these be? daybreak,dayspring,springbreak,majesticum,?
These crotons are getting to confusing with all the names

My Daybreak has really taken off. Some leaves are 24" long. The sad part is where it is positioned, I can't get a photo of it that does it justice. Thanks to Mike - there are a few of us growing this fabulous cultivar. :cool:

My Daybreak has really taken off. Some leaves are 24" long. The sad part is where it is positioned, I can't get a photo of it that does it justice. Thanks to Mike - there are a few of us growing this fabulous cultivar. :cool:

Here is a partial shot. Can't get the entire plant into the frame.

Attachments

• Daybreak 1.JPG
    Daybreak 1.JPG
    234.9 KB · Views: 103