Duke of Windsor

Moose

Esteemed Member
10/09/09
Here is the Duke of Windsor just waiting to get planted in the Spring!!! :rolleyes:

Attachments

• AAC Duke of Windsor.jpg
    AAC Duke of Windsor.jpg
    282.5 KB · Views: 143
  • AAC Duke of Windsor 2.jpg
    AAC Duke of Windsor 2.jpg
    200.1 KB · Views: 126
  • AAC Duke of Windsor 3.jpg
    AAC Duke of Windsor 3.jpg
    182.3 KB · Views: 125
Ricky - I got it from Jeff, so I am pretty secure on the ID. It is just a "baby" at this stage, we will see how it looks in a couplr of years. :rolleyes:

Ron,

Are you sure you got that from me? Because I just got my own plant from the Glocks about a year ago. I don't even have one in the ground yet. Does it have a purple tag on it?

Jeff - actually it does have a purple tag on it. If you enlarge the first photo you can see the tell tale (purple) tag. Did I catch you on a weak moment, was this destined to go in your own yard? :eek:

Here's a Duke of Windsor that's been positively ID'd. This one was actually cut from a Stoplight. Hard to say they look the same, but then again, they're Crotons.

Attachments

• duke_of_windsor.jpg
    duke_of_windsor.jpg
    294.9 KB · Views: 131
Jeff - actually it does have a purple tag on it. If you enlarge the first photo you can see the tell tale (purple) tag. Did I catch you on a weak moment, was this destined to go in your own yard? :eek:

Hmm...that's really weird, because I don't remember having an extra plant to sell. But maybe I did. Anyways, it originally came from the Glock's Estate.

here's a few of Duke of Windsor, fairly common over here. More sun gives more color.
Ricky - glad you mentioned that it is a sport of Stoplight - which apparently has its own yellow and green sport called Caution Light. ..,.and just to keep things mixed up, Duke of W also sports a green and yellow version. Sunken Gardens has one DofW sporting the yellow and green version by the Wedding Lawn..

Attachments

• DSCN2955.jpg
    DSCN2955.jpg
    224 KB · Views: 126
  • DSCN2953.jpg
    DSCN2953.jpg
    315.9 KB · Views: 135
  • DSCN2951.jpg
    DSCN2951.jpg
    279.6 KB · Views: 130
  • DSCN2950.jpg
    DSCN2950.jpg
    208.4 KB · Views: 123
There is mammy sporting something almost identical at my work. Is this possible, are they related? I've been wanting to cut it for months but 1.) it's a county bldg and 2.) I work for a govt contractor for the gov't. I keep hoping I can run into the grounds crew to sweet talk them so I don't look bad LOL. Will try and take pics this week.

Here is the same "Duke of Windsor" 5 months later. I brought this plant to get an ID to the Croton Garden Tour at Mike Harris' in mid May. Phil Stager looked at it and without hesitation said "Duke of Windsor". :)

Attachments

• Duke of Windsor.jpg
    Duke of Windsor.jpg
    252.4 KB · Views: 130
  • Duke of Windsor2.jpg
    Duke of Windsor2.jpg
    223.7 KB · Views: 111
When I first acquired my Crotons of the World by B. Frank Brown, the Duke of Windsor really caught my eye. It was to my suprise that it was not as common as one would expect. Eventually I found one at the Searle Brothers Fall Extravaganza. After starting this thread, an ID of this plant was in question. Since I really desired this cultivar, I attained one from Marie Nock. :)

Here are both plants side by side for comparison. The one from Marie Nock is planted in the ground (upper croton in first photo, croton on right in second photo). The one in the container is from Searle Brothers Nursery. It looks like I may have two of the same cultivar. :confused:

Attachments

• Duke of Windsor3.jpg
    Duke of Windsor3.jpg
    201.4 KB · Views: 104
  • Duke of Windsor4.jpg
    Duke of Windsor4.jpg
    264.2 KB · Views: 119
You are right about this one not being too common.I picked this up at a small nursery beside me quite early in my collecting so I thought it was pretty common,since then over about 5 years I have not seen even one more being offered.

Been kinda quiet the last few days,, so as I have an exceptionally large stoplight, potted, that has mostly turned black..... I was searching for different sports often coming off stoplight. Well, I read JUNGLEGAL's comment about a sport off a stoplight she noticed at her workplace....... so I was wondering if she ever got a clipping of it, and what it might hace been...... 2011-- a long time ago, but I was just wondering..... everyone have a great Labor Day. ....Mark

Really great color Scott! This morning I was moving some plants, repotting a few and knew I was going to tackle this big Stoplight that really was not liking it's location. It has around 20 terminals. And there are a few lower branches that currently resemble franklin roosevelt, and that's what prompted me to search to see if stoplight threw off particular sports through the years... I know for several decades, whenever I see a large old specimen in the landscapes along key wests side streets I will sit up and take notice of any variations. Hope this makes sense.... but thought I'd explain what my train of thought was .....

And, when I said "Been kinda quiet the last few days...." .... I was speaking of the forum, lol.... Hope everyone has a great weekend, Mark

Mark, What kind of sun conditions do you have your Stoplight in? I have problems with one of my Stoplights as it is just plain ugly. I keep saying I am going to trash it, but I always talk myself out of it and I give it another chance. It was a great colorful plant when I got it some years ago, so I hold out hope. I am now thinking it is a sun issue as it only receives a couple hours of direct sun. My nice looking Stoplight is in lots of afternoon sun. I also have another D of W not in full sun it is not a looker at all.

It's been getting full mid day sun and afternoon to dusk dappled..... the only thing it may be lacking is mornin sun..... think I may step up the pot size and take a series of cuttings...... and see what happens.....
Does anyone know if Harrell ship ? Seems like a funny question never ordered fertilizer, except for huge quantities from Atlantic fertilizers..... but never just a bag....... mark

Here is my Duke of Windsor that gets about 3 hours of summer sun...
pizap.com14422702963461.jpg

The Duke has so many different colors its Crazy .I have one that is at least 20 years ive had it in a planter its getting big 9 ft tall with 3 or 4 people to reach around it . It has probably 5 different colors from bright to just Red and all in between it has always grown under filtered light all day with no direct light but every section is different
107.JPG
104.JPG
101.JPG