005.jpg
    276.8 KB · Views: 84
  • 003.jpg
    003.jpg
    253.6 KB · Views: 99
  • 004.jpg
    004.jpg
    54.6 KB · Views: 101
My local Lowe's has at least 20 of them in tiptop shape.it is great to see a once rare croton available to all :)

I would have gotten all they had at 2.49 if we were at the end of Feb. These will be house plants for now.

My local Lowe's has at least 20 of them in tiptop shape.it is great to see a once rare croton available to all :)

Pretty amazing isn't it? Just a couple of years ago, a very nicely grown 7gallon plant was brought to the croton society garden tour at my house and it was auction off for I think $185. Two years ago this plant was extreamly rare to find. How things can change very quickly.

Jeff

I am also surprised at the spread of this magnificent croton.I am always tempted to buy these when I see the in the stores.I already have 3 so I cannot justify anymore purchases.I understand they have been mass produced in costa rica.I cannot wait to see 5-6 foot examples everywhere 5 -10 years from now.If they are maintained they will be spectacular.

Pretty amazing isn't it? Just a couple of years ago, a very nicely grown 7gallon plant was brought to the croton society garden tour at my house and it was auction off for I think $185. Two years ago this plant was extreamly rare to find. How things can change very quickly.

Jeff

Jeff Searle...you mention magnificent is being mass produced in Costa Rica. Would you have the name of the nursery and where it's located ? I would like to purchase a couple. Bob

Jeff Searle...you mention magnificent is being mass produced in Costa Rica. Would you have the name of the nursery and where it's located ? I would like to purchase a couple. Bob

Bob - while surfing the internet, I found the nursery but can not remember the name. I think this variety is condusive to being able to be tissued cultured. That would be the reasoning of so many becoming available in such a short time. I will try to find the name (website) for you.

Ron. :)

Jeff

Hey, remember Dreadlocks? Somebody mass produced them 7 or 8 years ago and then those knuckleheads off SR84 drove around the state collecting them. They stuffed 2 three-gallon plants into a seven and were selling them for $100. I was working for Delray Garden Center back then and put five of them into a job on the beach at $350 a piece!!! Now, you can buy a nice three-gallon plant most the year for under $10. Just shows you what a Croton is really worth.

It is called supply and demand :) But $350??This sounds a little wild:eek::eek:

Hey, remember Dreadlocks? Somebody mass produced them 7 or 8 years ago and then those knuckleheads off SR84 drove around the state collecting them. They stuffed 2 three-gallon plants into a seven and were selling them for $100. I was working for Delray Garden Center back then and put five of them into a job on the beach at $350 a piece!!! Now, you can buy a nice three-gallon plant most the year for under $10. Just shows you what a Croton is really worth.

For "mooseknuckle"...thanks for the info. They are located in Limon...that's about a 3 hour drive from my home. I'll call them later today and ascertain if they work with any local nurseries around San Jose. Thanks again...Bob

It is called supply and demand :) But $350??This sounds a little wild:eek::eek:

This was on a landscape job where even the Mondo Grass was planted in seven-gallon cans. We planted two Bismarck Palms, one on either side of the main entrance, that had to be brought in by crane. I was just going through my old spreadsheets and found the original quote to the customer - $55,000 - not including the pavers.

Here is my contribution to this thread. :cool:

This croton variety lives up to it's name. ;)

Attachments

• ACC Magnificent.jpg
    ACC Magnificent.jpg
    243.9 KB · Views: 115
  • AAC Magnificent 2.jpg
    AAC Magnificent 2.jpg
    155.2 KB · Views: 95
  • ACC Magnificent 3.jpg
    ACC Magnificent 3.jpg
    142.1 KB · Views: 85