Seedlings!!!

Borgy230

06/07/09
Lets see your seedlings, heres two I have that seem to be robust growers so far, color remains to be seen.
I have about 30 seedlings all together.

Both these were pulled up growing between a growing of Fathers Day, Christmas, and W.J.Bryant

Attachments

• Croton 005.jpg
    Croton 005.jpg
    177.4 KB · Views: 101
  • Croton 006.jpg
    Croton 006.jpg
    185 KB · Views: 101
Rob,

#1 good sign – dark and robust leaves
#2 is potential and already shows bright color

Below my recent selection “achievements”:). Tiger Eye + Thai Hybrid

Attachments

• IMG_8536.JPG
    IMG_8536.JPG
    267.8 KB · Views: 84
what mix do you use? For growing everything indoors, you seem to have no problems.
do you use any fungicides?
fertilizer?

5% of seedlings turn out to be anything once they hit maturity. Thers a guy in vero beach been doing nothing but seedlings for years they look BEAUTIFUL young after a few years solid green. Thats weird how that is tho. Dont give up hope you all may have Winners :) Sadly enough you got at least a 4yr wait.

5% of seedlings turn out to be anything once they hit maturity. Thers a guy in vero beach been doing nothing but seedlings for years they look BEAUTIFUL young after a few years solid green. Thats weird how that is tho. Dont give up hope you all may have Winners :) Sadly enough you got at least a 4yr wait.

I just thought of something...a brainstorm of an idea, don't we need a new croton soon named,......Dave Butler?:)

what mix do you use? For growing everything indoors, you seem to have no problems.
do you use any fungicides?
fertilizer?

I plant crotons in mixture of compost and vermiculite. Now I use compost which is vermicompost with manure. Previously they fed composting worms peanut skins. And the compost was definitely better.

I don’t use any additional fertilizers.

The most dangerous thing for indoor plants is spider mites. For croton they can become a real disaster.

That’s why I place every new plant in two week quarantine with obligatory application of insecticide.

Fungi is not a problem if use forced ventilation.

I posted a bunch of seedling photos on various threads. The best of the lot, so far, has been this one I dubbed Roy Harper or perhaps it's a seedling start of Robert Halgrim. Having let twenty-five seedlings grow to maturity, some as long as 7 years, few have anything more than solid green with the odd yellow dot here and there. Lots of interesting leaf shapes, but no real color. The other three photos are some examples of the older group of twenty-five.

Attachments

• P1010003.jpg
    P1010003.jpg
    236.3 KB · Views: 83
  • P101.jpg
    P101.jpg
    257.3 KB · Views: 89
  • P103.jpg
    P103.jpg
    278.5 KB · Views: 99
  • P1010006.jpg
    P1010006.jpg
    258.8 KB · Views: 88
Here are two more. The first one is underneath Thea. If it gets some color I might call it "Thea's Daughter". The second picture is what about 50 seedlings look like right now in the garden.

Attachments

• P1010004.jpg
    P1010004.jpg
    263.5 KB · Views: 94
  • P1010005.jpg
    P1010005.jpg
    221.6 KB · Views: 91
I posted a bunch of seedling photos on various threads. The best of the lot, so far, has been this one I dubbed Roy Harper or perhaps it's a seedling start of Robert Halgrim. Having let twenty-five seedlings grow to maturity, some as long as 7 years, few have anything more than solid green with the odd yellow dot here and there. Lots of interesting leaf shapes, but no real color. The other three photos are some examples of the older group of twenty-five.

Solid green is very common in Seedlings that dont make it, Earlier Hybridizers with those just disguard them and try again. Just imagine the amount of Crotons that got disguarded back in them days. Till they got winners, 100's i suppose.

Lets see your seedlings, heres two I have that seem to be robust growers so far, color remains to be seen.
I have about 30 seedlings all together.

Both these were pulled up growing between a growing of Fathers Day, Christmas, and W.J.Bryant

The first one, even though it dosen't show any color, I think it's starting to show some nice leaf shape already. The color will probably start coming this summer as it get's bigger. And even your second seedling is already showing promise with the colors at an early stage.

Perfect Example, They may look good or promise at the start but almost always turn to Green. Not saying all turn to green but most do, No way to tell until majority. Time will only tell on seedlings, Tough way of doing crotons many disappointments.

I've been watching this really dark, butt fugly croton and I know, just like the others, is deserving a name like all others. And I've been thinking of a couple of names too...

Will take a picture later this year maybe when it gets a little bigger, just not ready yet.