Croton Garden

Borgy230

06/07/09
Has the croton society ever thought of selecting a single public garden that they would try to get as many plants in as possible? So these plants are kept and never lost?
I have been thinking for some while about trying to contact Flamingo gardens or Pinecrest gardens and seeing if they are intested in taking this on.

I did contact Fairchild about a year ago, they only wanted select plants :( Of course the best of the best.

Would every one be willing to donate plants they have so this garden could be established? used as a croton vault maybe where the society has as many known plants as possible for the future croton heads?????

Has the croton society ever thought of selecting a single public garden that they would try to get as many plants in as possible? So these plants are kept and never lost?
I have been thinking for some while about trying to contact Flamingo gardens or Pinecrest gardens and seeing if they are intested in taking this on.

I did contact Fairchild about a year ago, they only wanted select plants :( Of course the best of the best.

Would every one be willing to donate plants they have so this garden could be established? used as a croton vault maybe where the society has as many known plants as possible for the future croton heads?????

Flamingo Gardens been taking Crotons off the streets now for many years. Dont think they would have a area stricking for crotons tho. Man in charge there owns a very large nursery and has a good collection of Crotons. Well he use to anyways.

Flamingo Gardens had a huge Croton collection. I know because I ran the crew that designed and installed the rock pathway through the middle of it. Haven't been back there in almost 10 years, though.

Rob - this is an excellent idea. It is appropriate as Croton Society members to get as many cultivars established in these type gardens for preservation purposes. :)

Jerry@Tree Zoo was going to do this at the Deerfield Tree Zoo, I am curious if that is still in their plans.

Does Selby Gardens have any crotons? :confused:

How about Leu Gardens? :confused:

Ron.

I think Jerry lost most of his Crotons last winter. I know he'd gotten quite a collection going from donations and what he bought at various Society auctions.

Where would be the best location for a Society garden? (Here's the East Coast versus West Coast dilemma rearing its ugly head.)

Ten years ago or so, the Croton Society tried this at Sunken Gardens in St. Pete. Lotsa problems with maintenance, watering, etc at the time and then a change in admin and horticulturalist who does not know diddly about crotons....
Selby does not have much for crotons and do not recall seeing any at Leu which gets rather cold most winters although their p;alm collection is splendid.

The garden in my opinion needs to be in south florida. With the temperatures we have seen lately, we know Tampa, West Palm or any of those northern areas are not safe.

Flamingo gardens has some crotons, not too many anymore.

Stan Woods I think has only some crotons now.

The garden in my opinion needs to be in south florida. With the temperatures we have seen lately, we know Tampa, West Palm or any of those northern areas are not safe.

Flamingo gardens has some crotons, not too many anymore.

Stan Woods I think has only some crotons now.

West Palm is a "northern area" ???

I dont belong to the Croton Society so this is only my opinion. Seems they need a Southern Guy to take care of things South of Fort Lauderdale. Example the idea Borgy has on the Garden is a good one even, Events, Picnics, ETC.