Another Drive By Shooting

palmisland

28/03/08
This was under an oak canopy. Absolutley no cold damage. It must be 10 ft+. Is it Buddy? Whatever it is it made me turn around.

Randy:)

Attachments

• DSC_0005.jpg
    DSC_0005.jpg
    314 KB · Views: 112
  • DSC_0008.jpg
    DSC_0008.jpg
    171.1 KB · Views: 105
  • DSC_0014.jpg
    DSC_0014.jpg
    215.4 KB · Views: 106
This is a pic of the entire plant, on the shady side. :p

Attachments

• DSC_0011.jpg
    DSC_0011.jpg
    349.7 KB · Views: 99
  • DSC_0013.jpg
    DSC_0013.jpg
    288.2 KB · Views: 91
  • DSC_0009.jpg
    DSC_0009.jpg
    159 KB · Views: 96
Buddy appears to be correct, but the second one is not Queen Victoria. There's too much pink and I believe have cuttings from that same plant or one on the other side of that complex, that was identified as a "Veitchii" by two groups of experts who passed through my garden. Take a look at page 55 for Queen Victoria.

Buddy appears to be correct, but the second one is not Queen Victoria. There's too much pink and I believe have cuttings from that same plant or one on the other side of that complex, that was identified as a "Veitchii" by two groups of experts who passed through my garden. Take a look at page 55 for Queen Victoria.

Who Wee, Wee Doggies! Experts? This plant in question is certainly not a Veitchii. And I'll bet the 20 acre nursery on that!:)

Who Wee, Wee Doggies! Experts? This plant in question is certainly not a Veitchii. And I'll bet the 20 acre nursery on that!:)

I have the identical plant in the garden and it came from the same complex (i.e. the same installer as there are a lot of them.) I had been calling it Queen Victoria for years until the first Croton crawl here. Everyone said, no, it's not Queen Victoria, it's one of the Veitchii.

Attachments

• queen_victoria.jpg
    queen_victoria.jpg
    367.6 KB · Views: 116
Sure looks like Queen Victoria in the first pic that started this, and Ricky's sure looks like a Vietchii to me. The differences are subtle but are there due to good pics of the entire plants with enough detail.

Ricky,

Sorry, but it's a Queen Victoria. Now, I was looking at your other croton in the upper left corner and thought for a minute maybe that was your Veitchii, but it looks more like a Nestor. If you would like to add a Veitchii to your collection, I have several small ones coming along and would be more than happy to give you one.

And so I was right all along, that mine IS a Queen Victoria? Jeez, it's great that we have so many "experts" here. Well, if mine is a Queen Victoria then I'll go with the ID that Randy's shot is one as well.

And so I was right all along, that mine IS a Queen Victoria? Jeez, it's great that we have so many "experts" here. Well, if mine is a Queen Victoria then I'll go with the ID that Randy's shot is one as well.

According to Frank Browns Book Veitchii is the one posted, But im sure it will be disputed. Then again a Picture reference would be nice. Funny thing is if you compare old prints and photos and descriptions on Crotons we are all wrong on our names. For Jeff (Example) I saw a Martha Brooks Photo from long ago, Its thin Leafed and long. Not what we call it today :(. In this forum we are a very small group, we call our plants and others many different names. In my opinion on the Name Game is everyone is right and everyone is wrong. Simply a no win, Maybe thats why theres not much information out there on Crotons. So many look alikes so many growing conditions.