Davis #1 2.jpg
    194.1 KB · Views: 102
  • AAA Royal Flush.jpg
    AAA Royal Flush.jpg
    292.9 KB · Views: 121
  • AAA Royal Flush 2.jpg
    AAA Royal Flush 2.jpg
    222.5 KB · Views: 103
Ah ha......That's what I have. I lost the label on my Royal Flush. I'll post a pic later.

Randy

Randy - I told you that yours was a Royal Flush when we visited your garden. I guess you forgot to write it down. As soon as I said Royal Flush, you recalled it immediately. LOL :p

I have a great memorey, its just too short. :rolleyes:

Royal Flush with oak shaped leafs? Hmm maybe a Hybrid. And Davis only named large leafed plants, maybe your photo is playing tricks on my eyes.

Ron's picture of his Royal Flush has what looks like semi oaked shaped leaves, not oak shape. I think his plant is typical for what's going around as Royal Flush. As I do see slight differences from your plant David from Ron's, in my opinion their pretty similar, but could be different plants.
David, who put this identification of Royal Flush on your plant?

Ron's picture of his Royal Flush has what looks like semi oaked shaped leaves, not oak shape. I think his plant is typical for what's going around as Royal Flush. As I do see slight differences from your plant David from Ron's, in my opinion their pretty similar, but could be different plants.

That be your Friend Johnny Shelton, Im sure he will change it a few more times. He says oval shaped leafs with vibrant color.

When I first got this plant, it was growing under 50% shade cloth in relatively perfect conditions. The leaves then were more ovate. It was planted in mid Oct. 2009. Since then it has been subjected to Winter 2010, heavy winds, harsh westerly afternoon summer sun, underwatering at times and croton scale. No longer growing in "perfect conditions" some of the new leaves have taken on a semi oak shape. Some of the lower leaves are much less semi oak shaped. Growing conditions and other variables can change leaves.

If you pump up crotons with liquid fertilizers on a regular basis, sometimes that causes rapid growth and slight changes of leaf shape. What if you get the leaves much larger by this fertilizing method, does this mean that the name is no longer accurate because the leaves are larger than typical? :confused:

When I first got this plant, it was growing under 50% shade cloth in relatively perfect conditions. The leaves then were more ovate. It was planted in mid Oct. 2009. Since then it has been subjected to Winter 2010, heavy winds, harsh westerly afternoon summer sun, underwatering at times and croton scale. No longer growing in "perfect conditions" some of the new leaves have taken on a semi oak shape. Some of the lower leaves are much less semi oak shaped. Growing conditions and other variables can change leaves.

If you pump up crotons with liquid fertilizers on a regular basis, sometimes that causes rapid growth and slight changes of leaf shape. What if you get the leaves much larger by this fertilizing method, does this mean that the name is no longer accurate because the leaves are larger than typical? :confused:

Very Good question, The main problem with Crotons is they are Hybridized with so many different kinds of plants (Crotons). With that said many revert to one of there parent (host) plants, Making any sort of idenification impossible. I suppose this is the reason for the Multible names per plant. Crotons may look the same, may be a cutting from the same but very different. Unstable is the word, for Crotons.
My guess is the popular crotons you see today are the more hardier type, They arnt mixed (Hybridized) with many plants. No 2 are exactly alike, Example you buy a Croton from the Croton Collection and its called Candy Cane, and then one from Kurt Deckers Nursery called the same. Now you take it home plant it if Perfect conditions the plant will surely look different after it establishes. Again very unstable plant and will more than likely take upon the look of one of its hosts, maybe color difference, slight leaf shape difference, veins not correct, Many possibilities. Then the name war begins.
Tough thing is this, Everyone wants named plants "Myself included" but with crotons to say its Legit and the name is written in stone is not gonna happen.

Updated photo of Royal Flush. 2nd photo is of Royal Flush flushing its new leaves. :rolleyes:

I believe an airlayer is in order. Since seeing Jim Glock's airlayering demonstration at the garden tour at Mike Harris', I have the convidence now! :)

Hopefully it can get airlayered and potted up with enough roots for the November meeting at the Searle ranch. ;)

Attachments

• Royal Flush.jpg
    Royal Flush.jpg
    209.8 KB · Views: 117
  • Royal Flush2.jpg
    Royal Flush2.jpg
    187.1 KB · Views: 96
Randy - how is your Royal Flush looking now? A nice growing season can do wonders. I may have mine in too much sun, it colors up rapidly and may get a washed up look. I remember it in your garden and I thought you had it in a good location. How about posting an updated photo of yours? :)