Wes Nock, first time seen on this forum

Moose

Esteemed Member
10/09/09
Here is a Wes Nock I got from Marie Nock. It is named after Marie's Father-in-law (Steve's Dad). Marie found it growing in Wes' garden. BTW Wes is 100 years old! :eek:

I first saw this and then was kicking myself for not getting one. I was limited on my budget and went to Marie to get specific cultivars. I went back a week later and got it. The colors are more striking in person. From my experience, you sometimes pass on a croton to find later that your opportunity has passed - which you regret. I love this croton and can not wait to get it in the ground in the spring!!! :cool:

Attachments

• AAA Wes Nock.jpg
    AAA Wes Nock.jpg
    252.3 KB · Views: 126
  • AAA Wes Nock 2.jpg
    AAA Wes Nock 2.jpg
    247.6 KB · Views: 101
  • AAA Wes Nock 3.jpg
    AAA Wes Nock 3.jpg
    167.9 KB · Views: 92
  • AAA Wes Nock 4.jpg
    AAA Wes Nock 4.jpg
    224.1 KB · Views: 101
Was this a seedling that came up in his yard?

Jeff,
It's difficult to tell - a tight planting of old crotons that was there when they bought the house over 25 years ago. I brought leaves of this one to your place when you hosted the Croton Society meeting a couple of years ago. No one could ID it so I put Wes Nock on it until a better ID comes along.

This is quickly becoming one of my favorite cultivars. It has outstanding color and its position in the garden receives relatively strong light. You can see that it is beginning to develope branching on its own without pinching in the third photo.

On a sad note, a couple of weeks back I learned of the passing of Wes Nock this recent Spring. I never met the man but have heard that he was a highly spirited and talented individual. Going out and purchasing a Nissan 350Z in his mid 90's as evidence. Wes also enjoyed spending countless hours playing the organ at the Plymouth Congregational Church in Coconut Grove.

My belated condolences to the Nock family.

Attachments

• Wes Nock.jpg
    Wes Nock.jpg
    180.8 KB · Views: 100
  • Wes Nock2.jpg
    Wes Nock2.jpg
    207 KB · Views: 99
  • Wes Nock3.jpg
    Wes Nock3.jpg
    97.1 KB · Views: 100