Insanity in Mooseland!

Moose

Esteemed Member
10/09/09
Last Sunday the grass was wet so mowing the lawn was out. It was very overcast so I decided to get some crotons in the ground. The humidity was extremely high and I sweated like a pig. All crotons got a heathy dose of composted cow manure, peat moss and sand backfilled into the holes. They had a top dressing of 7-4-5 fertilizer for Acid Loving Plants from AFEC. Then heavily mulched :rolleyes:

Revolutions, I finally got one!

Attachments

• Revolutions.jpg
    Revolutions.jpg
    275.9 KB · Views: 92
  • Revolutions 2.jpg
    Revolutions 2.jpg
    216.1 KB · Views: 122
Macadoo, not often encountered. The yellows should brighted up to a brillant orangish yellow. ;)

Attachments

• Macadoo.jpg
    Macadoo.jpg
    321.7 KB · Views: 86
  • Macadoo 2.jpg
    Macadoo 2.jpg
    232.8 KB · Views: 75
Claude Lorraine. This is in some pretty good shade. The mulch here is about 12 inches deep with a mass of palm roots that makes digging nearly impossible. This is mound planted with heavy amendments of composted cow manure and peat moss. I arranged coconut husks around the perimeter of the "hollowed out" hole in the heavy mulch to prevent the soil from washing away during our rainy season.

Attachments

• Claude Lorraine.jpg
    Claude Lorraine.jpg
    218.9 KB · Views: 100
  • Claude Loraine 2.jpg
    Claude Loraine 2.jpg
    144.7 KB · Views: 122
  • happy_moose.jpg
    happy_moose.jpg
    21.6 KB · Views: 149
Prince of Orange. I used the same mound planting technique here as well. :eek:

Attachments

• Prince of Orange.jpg
    Prince of Orange.jpg
    328.9 KB · Views: 89
  • Prince of Orange 2.jpg
    Prince of Orange 2.jpg
    171.1 KB · Views: 82
  • moose 2.jpg
    moose 2.jpg
    69.5 KB · Views: 79
Here is Pop's Yard. Rick (TikiRick) and I saw a large one of these growing at Jeff Searle's place and we both went crazy. It is gorgeous when grown properly. This is situated where it gets moring and midday sun, trying to mimick Jeff's sun exposure on his. :p

I have had this croton for awhile. Last fall I was not paying attention and it was drying out. I submerged the container in a 5 gallon bucket of water to saturate the roots. Well it got very waterlogged and I went to pull it out by the stem and &@$*#, I ripped it out of the container and made a mess of the roots. I wasted alot of recovery time and this croton really got set back. Learn from the moose's mistake and only lift your crotons by the container. I have to give myself the dumb ass award for this one! :eek:

Attachments

• Pop's Yard.jpg
    Pop's Yard.jpg
    210.6 KB · Views: 98
  • Pop's Yard 2.jpg
    Pop's Yard 2.jpg
    178.9 KB · Views: 82
  • red_dumbass.jpg
    red_dumbass.jpg
    27 KB · Views: 113
  • Moose 6.jpg
    Moose 6.jpg
    153.9 KB · Views: 81
Caribbean Star. This is definitely one to get. These pictures do not do this cultivar justice. Stunning colors when grown with proper difused sun light. This croton has magenta coloration in it's variegation. ;)

Attachments

• Caribbean Star.jpg
    Caribbean Star.jpg
    361.5 KB · Views: 101
  • Carribbean Star 2.jpg
    Carribbean Star 2.jpg
    254 KB · Views: 86
  • Moose.jpg
    Moose.jpg
    59.7 KB · Views: 83
Red Foot. This was planted in the wrong spot. I had it on a western exposure but where a pine tree shaded it in the afternoon when it was installed. Well the sun shifts throughout the year and this guy was getting BBQ'd. Everytime I was about to move it, it seemed it would get stressed, like a new flush of leaves getting severely burn't. This past winter really beat it back as well. :(

It is now positioned on a eastern exposure where it gets morning sun, a dappling midday sun and bright shade in the afternnon. ;)

Attachments

• Red Foot.jpg
    Red Foot.jpg
    312.2 KB · Views: 99
  • Red Foot 2.jpg
    Red Foot 2.jpg
    218.6 KB · Views: 128
  • moose 5.jpg
    moose 5.jpg
    36.6 KB · Views: 92
Reubens. This is one I have been looking for. Well I get the 2nd Dumb Ass Award for this one also. I did pick this croton up by the container but did not have a firm grip. &$#@, I dropped it and unneccesarily set it back. One branch here is proped up since it still wants to lean from my actions. :eek:

Well it is looking much happier now. :)

Attachments

• Ruebens.jpg
    Ruebens.jpg
    383.7 KB · Views: 106
  • Ruebens 2.jpg
    Ruebens 2.jpg
    238 KB · Views: 99
  • red_dumbass.jpg
    red_dumbass.jpg
    27 KB · Views: 87
  • boris.jpg
    boris.jpg
    3.4 KB · Views: 241
Another one I am excited about getting into the ground, Commotion. I can't wait to see this one get its montster sized leaves. Look at the funky "forked leaf tip" on the close up. :p

Attachments

• Commotion.jpg
    Commotion.jpg
    211.5 KB · Views: 90
  • Commotion 2.jpg
    Commotion 2.jpg
    119.3 KB · Views: 90
  • crazy_about_moose_tshirt-.jpg
    crazy_about_moose_tshirt-.jpg
    31.4 KB · Views: 89
Final installment for the day! This one is called Carmen Christian. I have been seeking this hard to find cultivar for some time. :)

10 crotons planted in one day. :eek: I made large holes and amended the soil for fast root development and hopefully large lush brightly colored plants. It may not seem like alot, but these plantings really kicked my butt.

I also have a theory that with all the orgainic material I am using, this will aid my crotons during our dreaded cold fronts. By saturating the ground during these events, the temperature of the roots will be significantly raised. I will loose leaves and potentially stems during severe cold, however keeping the roots warm should help with the possibility that the plant will survive. ;)

Well the moose had a severe crotonhead day. I hope all my fellow crotonheads have enjoyed the fruits of my labor and this thread. :)

I look forward to seeing most of you at the upcoming meetings!

Best regards,

Ron.

Attachments

• Carmen Christian.jpg
    Carmen Christian.jpg
    344 KB · Views: 103
  • Carmen Christian 2.jpg
    Carmen Christian 2.jpg
    269.2 KB · Views: 96
  • happy moose 2.jpg
    happy moose 2.jpg
    30.7 KB · Views: 86
shredded whaeat - good analogy. The wimpy crotons (Peace, Bravo and its various sports, Chrysophyllum, Mortii) a new Rubens are pretty much defoliated. Tonight should claim a few more ....