Croton Revolutions

I picked up 2 more last weekend for 1.50 each in 4" pots plant is about 9" tall. I always have found them in 4" pots. Has anyone found these being sold in larger sizes?

I haven't seen larger plants offered, but then this isn't exactly croton country around here...
I planted two of those 4" pots in this 13" clay pot about six months ago, had them in full sun for several months or more which produce brilliant yellow new growth which started to burn after a few months, so I moved the pot to partial sun and the new growth greened up a lot almost to solid green...
Anyway, I want to let them grow and see what they look like when they get large.

Attachments

• Revolutions 2010-11-25.jpg
    Revolutions 2010-11-25.jpg
    243.3 KB · Views: 468
It was the typical dark green with hints of yellow when I bought it, but full sun brought out brilliant yellow new growth which after a few months started washing out and burning....
Partial shade made almost all green growth, so next summer I want to find the right spot for it.

It was the typical dark green with hints of yellow when I bought it, but full sun brought out brilliant yellow new growth which after a few months started washing out and burning....
Partial shade made almost all green growth, so next summer I want to find the right spot for it.

Peyton - the right spot is in my yard! LOL :p

I always thought revolutions looked like ram's horn. (Not too hard to figure out why!).

I have found revolutions the least cold tolerant croton out there. Rams horn isn't very cold tolerant for me either, nor does it grow very fast.

Thanks for the link.

I read the info. on the link and kind of got a good laugh, as they referred to this "invention". This is no invention. I'm no lawyer, but my take is this; the only patent is on the name and can not prevent someone else from rooting cuttings off of it. The argument could be that your Rams Horn in the yard threw the same sport, cultivar or what ever you want to call it. Which is possible. If some sort of legal action were to be taken against you, it probably would be best to have the Rams Horn growing in your own yard with the cultivar on it.

Am I wrong here, what do you think?

Jeff -
Dr. Brown could probably enlighten us a bit on patenting plants since he has more than a few but in Aglanomeas if I recall. Enforcing a patent is the difficult part, i.e., it costs money unless you have a Luca Brazzi on your payroll. A 'civilized' patent owner is not about to spend $5K on a $5 plant - bad return on investment.
..and even if the patent owner enforced the patent, I'm not sure he could recover anything but actual economic damages, profits made by the defendant, and in exceptionally rare cases, treble damages. A common defence in patent infringement cases is to attack the validity of the patent.
Any patent lawyers reading this forum?

I think the main purpose of a plant patent is to collect royalties from large growers who mass produce the plant.
Small operators are not worth the trouble as Phil has pointed out.
So unless the plant is a large scale success, the patent is probably not worth much...

Peyton,

I'm pretty sure that the patent covers the name only, and like you stated, for large growers that want to produce this plant would use the name Revolutions.

But to prove in a court of law that this sport would never, ever occure again would be simply shot down. I seriously think if another grower started growing some under a different name, so be it. Would this be acceptable in the nursery trade by confussing everyone, absolutely not, but it does happen.

It was featured in a booth 2 years ago at the big foliage trade show in Ft. Lauderdale, TPIE, and I'm pretty sure it was absent just last year. This croton isn't going to set any records for sales anytime soon, or become the "next" big thing.:)