Air layering in December??

Bullwinkle

Esteemed Member
17/11/10
I went to a nursery yesterday and saw a lady starting air layers now.I questioned here and she says she air layers in South Florida all year and gets fine results and it is just slower now than in the summer.Anybody else trying this??

Can cuttings be taken from plants that are wilting and appear to be in decline? This would obviously be an attempt to salvage something from a plant before it expires. I have a handful of plants that appeared to survive the freeze and return slowly with unimpressive growth and small leaves only to begin perishing 10 months later.

Can cuttings be taken from plants that are wilting and appear to be in decline? This would obviously be an attempt to salvage something from a plant before it expires. I have a handful of plants that appeared to survive the freeze and return slowly with unimpressive growth and small leaves only to begin perishing 10 months later.

Ray, your death toll continues? :confused:

Here's my thinking.......

If you have one plant, and it's a fairly rare variety, there's no good reason to put an airlayer on and risk it not taking because of cold weather.

Now, if you have an Eleanor Roosevelt that's 10' x 10', sure. Because you have nothing to loose. It's a fast growing variety and you might get a good take on all the airlayers you put on. But, on a small plant (rare) that your trying to get one produced, to me it's not worth the chance. Wait until late spring or summer.

I think that Searle is going soft on us. Hack thoes crotons and make December air layers. Here is a picture of air layers dated December 20th. They were cut after 30 days.

Oh, I forgot; these were at the Southern Command.

Attachments

• December air layers.jpg
    December air layers.jpg
    406.1 KB · Views: 137