Are these really 3 different Crotons???

fawnridge

04/07/09
All scanned from The Book.
Daisy Ortegas - William Craig (2) - Macarthurii
If I was a betting man, I'd say these three appear to be the same.

Attachments

• daisy2.jpg
    daisy2.jpg
    453.6 KB · Views: 113
  • willy1.jpg
    willy1.jpg
    417.1 KB · Views: 115
  • willy2.jpg
    willy2.jpg
    453.2 KB · Views: 112
  • mac.jpg
    mac.jpg
    502.5 KB · Views: 126
The unofficial correction list for Dr Browns book pg 27 Daisy Ortegas is William Craig.

I had never thought that William Craig would be a contender for "the most beautiful croton in the world," but wait until you see the William Craig at the Glock's house. Wow!:)

Does anyone have a photo of a Daisy Ortegas?

Yes, the last one does look different, until you look at the older leaves and compare them to the William Craig photos. I've never seen a Macarthurii, but the one in the book looks very similar several William Craig that I've grown where the leaves went to heavy green.

Ricky, We have a McArthurii. It is a very old croton and looks nothing like my William Craig. Hope you can make it over here Dec. 11!

Judy

I read in another post here that D.O. has a orange outline on leaf edge on some leaves. W.C. has no orange outline. Here are pictures that Phil posted some time back of his D.O. * OK you are not going to be able to click the pic for larger view to see the outline color. Maybe Phil will repost the pictures here.

Attachments

• DSCN2693.jpg
    DSCN2693.jpg
    16.1 KB · Views: 150
  • DSCN2694.jpg
    DSCN2694.jpg
    15.6 KB · Views: 147
The out of color Croton I found this summer was given a ID of a W.C. or D.O., at that time the plant had very little color. Here is a pic of the leaves as it looks now showing the orange outlined edge. I hope the other colors return on the leaves. I belive it is a D.O.

Attachments

• 036.jpg
    036.jpg
    247.5 KB · Views: 90
I had never thought that William Craig would be a contender for "the most beautiful croton in the world," but wait until you see the William Craig at the Glock's house. Wow!:)

Update: Sorry to report that a rogue cutting of this croton has ocurred. Just stems are left.... at least that is what the rumor is ? :eek:

LOL :p

They have a large cage rigged Rube Goldberg style that dangles over their William Craig. One twitch and it drops, and it's big enough to catch a Moose! LOL

I will admit, I still can't see a difference(much) from W.C. and a Daisy O. But, my Daisy Ortegas I recently sold were given that ID from none other than Bob A. I still have a decent size plant in a pot(D.O.), this might just be another plant to haul over for inspection at the upcoming Glock's garden tour. And to compare it side be side with a William Craig.

I never had seen a difference Jeff until seeing the ones you sold in October. Now I can spot a difference but couldn't describe them to you. I have to see the plants to distinguish the two. For one thing, WC leaves seem bigger.