Old Man Winter heading South

Moose

Esteemed Member
10/09/09
We have been enjoying the fabulous coloring on our croton cultivars this fall. Realty is that Old Man Winter will eventually head our way. Yesterday when I got home from work, I noticed a brisk wind coming from the north. Temperatures had dropped and were reported to be dropping further overnight. I moved all my crotons still in containers to the south side of house under canopy to break the wind and get some radiant warmth.

I just checked the temperature at 6:45 am. It is 52 F on the outer bounds of my garden, warmer towards the house and under canopy. Marie Nock lives about 9 miles south of me and I am sure her neighborhood should be @ 48 F. Her large canopy will probably make her warmer than her neighbors.

Tampa / St Petersburg have already had some fronts that did not quite make it this far south until today. We on the South East Coast probably enjoy an extended croton growing season by about 30 days.

Time for heavy mulching, Old Man Winter is definitely heading our way. :rolleyes:

Yesterday I did not get below 58. This morning it's currently 50. The low was 49.9 for 6 minutes earlier this morning. Non event here

I had about the same as last night, hovered just under 50 as a low. I didn't protect anything this go around. Didn't want to make the greenhouse when temps are bolting up this next week. This was just a primer & tease for things to come.

You guys are joking right? This is free air conditioning. I love it when summer breaks and we get a cool off. Good time to do the hard labor in the yard. Crotons aren't bothered with temps in the 40s. If anything these cooler temps will harden them off for winter. I hope we are done with the freezing winter like we had last winter. Hopefully laNina keeps us on the warm side of 32F.

Dave,

To heck with the crotons, 40's affect me. I'd prefer minimum temps above 50F year round which would pretty much restrict me to the Florida Keys, Hawaii or a another tropical country. Anytime I've got to bring plants into my greenhouse, it's too cold. I brought my Sealing Wax palm out of the house yesterday and it was 48F this morning...oops. I hope it's OK. Walking outside to mow the little bit of grass I have and sweating before the mower is even started is just fine with me. Cracked skin, chapped lips, running the heat in the house and putting on anything more than a t-shirt and sandals is not my cup of tea. What's refreshing to someone else is misery for me. That's just my two cents.

Ray

That sounds more like 4 cents, Ray, but I'm with you. Hop on a plane or take a road trip for a cool down when you need it.