How many cultivars are you growing today?

How many Croton Cultivars are you growing?

• A. 1 - 5

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • B. 6 - 12

• C. 13 -25

Votes: 4 26.7%
  • D. 26 - 50

• E. 51 - 100

Votes: 3 20.0%
  • F. 101 - 200

• G. 201 - 300

• H. 300 + (My name is Jeff Searle)

Votes: 2 13.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Moose

Esteemed Member
10/09/09
How many cultivars are you currently growing as of today?

A. Under 5

B. 6 - 12

C. 13 - 25

D. 26 - 50

E. 51 - 100

F. 101 - 200

G. 201 - 300

H. 300 + (My name is Jeff Searle)

This is my Lame attempt at a poll. I don't think it is working. :eek:

Moose,

I figured only you would come up with a poll sooner or later. It will be interesting though to see what kind of groups we see. I think what were all seeing and hearing, is that crotons have become very,very popular over the last 10 years or so and will remain that way over time. Most people want to achive that tropical look in their gardens and crotons can't be beat for that splash of color. Also,everyone is using them in the garden so much differently than back in the 50's,60's and 70's when back then they were used so much as a planter box type plant and placed out in the full sun. And lastly, there are so many more varieties now to choice from.

If you can accurately count them, you don't have enough. If you have no idea how many, you probably have all you need. I have at least 100 different varieties in the ground, many of them in two, three, or more places. I can think of four General Paget in the ground and five Satan. The ones that are singles will eventually yield cuttings and they, too, will go in the ground. This way I have a better chance of not losing a variety due to storm or cold. And that's today's handy tip for the collector.

I "only" bottomed in the low 30's but that happened about 4 times with one night at 31F. Since mid January, it's been warm here too. This winter alone would not have been a problem but it came only 11 months after the worst January in 50 years. The compounded effect of the two winters did lots of damage that either winter alone would not have. For south Florida plants, it takes much less cold to do damage because your plants are not as accustomed to the cold.

The Moose Land is up to 144 different cultivars in the ground. There are 19 additional cultivars in containers waiting for some size and/or root ball development prior to getting planted. :eek:

Working on elevating from an F to a G ! :p

It's been sooooo long since I did my last count, I really have no idea what I have, but it's out of control! Lol!

I've put off updating my list. As of this morning I now have 167 different named varieties in the ground. Another 53 in containers. There are another 14 unnamed cultivars in the ground from the Ftank Brown Collection. A few others in containers with no names yet.

220 named cultivars in the Moose Land now - my wife thinks I am nuts. :eek: She does appreciate all the colors. The garden is filling up and the options of where to plant a new cultivar are diminshing. :(

Dean - can you "reactivate" this poll for the "newbies" ? :confused:

Dang - the croton auction plus a thorough inventory has the tally up to 227 named varieties. 173 are in the ground. Since the Moose Land is so small - I'll be running out of planting space in the near future. :(

Dang - the croton auction plus a thorough inventory has the tally up to 227 named varieties. 173 are in the ground. Since the Moose Land is so small - I'll be running out of planting space in the near future. :(

It's collections like yours that were going to need long after all of us are gone. To preserve these old varieties, that some have been around for 100 years or more, plus some of these new exciting ones, it's great to see large collections being planted. And IMO, the level of enthusiasm is at an all time high compared to the last 20-30 years. Way to go!

There always has to be first time and this is mine. i lost count at 355 and must admit if I really like a plant it might be in five locations. the id thing is really a problem for me I am sure of only 50 or 60 named plants will welcome help in the future.http://www.palmpedia.net/forum/images/icons/icon6.png

355 is a good start, welcome! Post some pics & you'll get plenty of names, although not always correct:D Yep, the ID thing is a problem for most. Time for a garden tour.

There always has to be first time and this is mine. i lost count at 355 and must admit if I really like a plant it might be in five locations. the id thing is really a problem for me I am sure of only 50 or 60 named plants will welcome help in the future.http://www.palmpedia.net/forum/images/icons/icon6.png

Guys and Gals - this is Lamar (The guy with the dually diesel truck full of big crotons) who was at Ricky & Randy garden tour. The last time I met Lamar was at my very first croton garden tour at TikiRick's place. Lamar, perhaps you need to get a box of popsicle sticks and pencils. Announce a garden tour at your place and we could make it a "Name that Cultivar" Party. I am sure many a croton eye would attend. I think I recall that your garden is not very far from John Bender's old place. ;)