Thank you Randy & Ricky !

Moose

Esteemed Member
10/09/09
Randy and Ricky hosted garden tours yesterday. Both had wonderful collections of crotons and accompaning plants. Ricky's afternoon spread of victuals was outstanding as usual.

I personally want to express my sincere appreciation to both of you. :cool:

Thanks also to all who donated the excellent plants for the auction. It was a very enjoyable day.

Kindest regards, :)

Ron.

I also want to give thanks to our host too. And what great weather we had yesterday!!! I thought the auction went well with many generous offers and some fast pace bidding at times.

Personally for me, the Thea in Ricky's garden is still the show stopper. It's beautiful coloring and size is stunning. And as usual, Ricky was still getting request for an extra plant or cutting to share. In Randy's garden, he has a real pretty, shocking pink color croton that is very new and had not been seen before. There's a long waiting list of people waiting to get a peice of this one.:) All in all, it was a great outting and for those of you that could not make it, you missed another good tour of two gardens.

Randy and Ricky thank you so much for your gracious hospitality at the croton meeting. Both gardens were fantastic. Randy had the help of his pooch and Beazer the bird, who talks better than most twenty year olds....no offense Borgy. Then it was off to Ricky the King of Barbeque. The garden was great and the food out of this world....brisket that melts in your mouth. After a great garden tour and feast, our very own Croton Auctioneer Jeff Searle extracted every penny that he could from the crowd. A good time was had by all. Yes I did take pictures. I am sending Connie a disk full to pick some for the newsletter. I will resize some and post when my wife gives me a break from pulling weeds and mulching:)

Jim & Judy

Thanks to everyone who came and spent the afternoon here. I'd been drooling over getting that brisket sliced up and onto a roll for weeks. Moose, thanks for the Black Beauty; it and all the other Crotons went in the ground on Sunday.

I really enjoyed everyone visiting my garden. Before that my last visitor was my nephew, who out of all the plants & trees thought one of my Allocasias was kinda cool!:eek: All this Croton stuff is worth it if Rickys brisket is the end result.:p

Randy

New Crotons in the ground.
1. Black Beauty between Magnificent and Pink Veitchii.
2. Barbara Bush next to Kentucky.
3. Judy's Beauty popping up from the bromeliads.
4. William Jennings Bryan.

Attachments

• P1010003.jpg
    P1010003.jpg
    344.8 KB · Views: 162
  • P1010004.jpg
    P1010004.jpg
    340.6 KB · Views: 162
  • P1010006.jpg
    P1010006.jpg
    304.4 KB · Views: 167
  • P1010007.jpg
    P1010007.jpg
    262.2 KB · Views: 157
I really enjoyed everyone visiting my garden. Before that my last visitor was my nephew, who out of all the plants & trees thought one of my Allocasias was kinda cool!:eek: All this Croton stuff is worth it if Rickys brisket is the end result.:p

Randy

Ricky's Tender Brisket and looking at his pink Thea was worth the trip alone. Everything else was simply a super bonus! :cool:

These are a few shots of Randy's garden. The first is Randy leading the tour.
The second photo is Judy and Jerry admiring one of Randy's crotons. And the third photo is some of the plants in Randy's nursery.

Attachments

• IMG_1874.jpg
    IMG_1874.jpg
    502.1 KB · Views: 167
  • IMG_1881.jpg
    IMG_1881.jpg
    435.5 KB · Views: 187
  • IMG_1885.jpg
    IMG_1885.jpg
    351.5 KB · Views: 156
Here are three more shots at Randy's garden. The first is a cute little red croton tucked away under a very shady spot. The second picture is a lesson to be learned. One should never, never go to a croton meeting without a shovel in the trunk of a car! This unknown croton was just a show stopper that would suck the breath out of you. This is one that would move you to throw the clippers away and take the shovel out of the trunk. Randy, if you ever get tired of this plant.....please call:) The last picture I think realy sets off this garden. When you add Beazer the bird to a tropical garden you think you are back in a tropical parrotdise.

Attachments

• IMG_1899.jpg
    IMG_1899.jpg
    331.5 KB · Views: 165
  • My Pictures.jpg
    My Pictures.jpg
    515.1 KB · Views: 174
  • IMG_1887.jpg
    IMG_1887.jpg
    393.7 KB · Views: 173
Food was calling us so after a great time at Randy's we moved on over to Ricky's garden. The first photo taking upon arrival is everyone drooling over the crotons for auction. The second photo is of our host Ricky showing us his Thea. The third photo is a closer shot of Thea which once again reminded me of my missing shovel.

Attachments

• IMG_1902.jpg
    IMG_1902.jpg
    378.6 KB · Views: 162
  • IMG_1915.jpg
    IMG_1915.jpg
    195.8 KB · Views: 182
  • IMG_1917.jpg
    IMG_1917.jpg
    426.1 KB · Views: 164
The second set of three shots at Ricky's start with Ricky's leading the pack through his forest of crotons. The second photo is just a spectacular collage of color and texture....Ricky well done. The third and final photo in this section is our very own Croton Auctioneer "Superba", Jeff Searle working the crowd. What a "Dia Gloriosa".

Attachments

• IMG_1919.jpg
    IMG_1919.jpg
    504.8 KB · Views: 160
  • IMG_1923.jpg
    IMG_1923.jpg
    452.5 KB · Views: 174
  • IMG_1928.jpg
    IMG_1928.jpg
    336.6 KB · Views: 188
Post #11, photo 2 is Colonel Bob Bullock I tell ya.

Thea is hot!! Ricky, that's one on my wish list for next spring. It's got that pink/purple shading you don't find in many other cultivars. Only Charles Rutherford and Stained Glass come to mind.

..and here's some pics of what I've been calling Col. Bullock. The branch with the deepest pionk leaves is in deep shade - easy to miss. I expect the yellow leaves to turn dark pink as autumn progresses.

Attachments

• DSCN2728.jpg
    DSCN2728.jpg
    222.6 KB · Views: 143
  • DSCN2727.jpg
    DSCN2727.jpg
    228.8 KB · Views: 143
  • DSCN2726.jpg
    DSCN2726.jpg
    209.2 KB · Views: 153
  • DSCN2725.jpg
    DSCN2725.jpg
    172.7 KB · Views: 136
Phil, My Col. Bullock & my "pink" one go through different color changes.:confused: I gave Ricky one (post 8, #2). Mine was labled Barbara Bush when I got it & is different than Col. Bullock. The first pic is Col. Bullock, the second is the Barbara Bush. I don't think they are the same.

Randy:)

Attachments

• DSC_0001.jpg
    DSC_0001.jpg
    247.1 KB · Views: 144
  • DSC_0004.jpg
    DSC_0004.jpg
    218.3 KB · Views: 145
OK, Here's a pic of the momma plant I took today. To me, all in all, it looks like a Col. Bullock. Some of the sports are much pinker than others. Still a magnificent plant. The plant was labled "Barbara Bush"

Randy:)

Attachments

• DSC_0017.jpg
    DSC_0017.jpg
    255.2 KB · Views: 158
  • DSC_0018.jpg
    DSC_0018.jpg
    186.9 KB · Views: 171
  • DSC_0009.jpg
    DSC_0009.jpg
    345.2 KB · Views: 183
Ray for anyone else-
What are or who originated each of the plants - BB and Col B - or is this a case of an enterprising individual giving a new name to an old plant?

Ray for anyone else-
What are or who originated each of the plants - BB and Col B - or is this a case of an enterprising individual giving a new name to an old plant?

Phil,

I agree. I think it was stated quite some time ago that, the pic. of Barbara Bush in Frank Brown's book was misidentified. So, up until now, I never have seen anyone have a true B.B. until this past saturday when this name came up on this plant. Carol Graff I think had a photo of a similar looking plant and I beleive she was calling it the same name. Who knows, certainly not me.

Bob Alonzo identified Colonel Bob Bullock at a Croton Society sale/meeting at Flamingo Gardens (2004?). Someone had it for sale there and he identified it as I purchased it. The plant is described in Dr. Brown's first book so it's an old, legitimate name. The Barbara Bush name is in the new book but I've never seen the plant in person.

I was at Marie's today, this is what she has as Wilma, and I think its dead on!

Attachments

• IMG00019-20101022-1550.jpg
    IMG00019-20101022-1550.jpg
    79.1 KB · Views: 147
  • IMG00018-20101022-1550.jpg
    IMG00018-20101022-1550.jpg
    85.1 KB · Views: 145
All along, I thought this bright,pink croton is not a Col. Bob Bullock. I think I said earlier that it looked "Wilma-ish" and after seeing it last saturday, personally for me, I see nothing in that resembles my Col BB.

I think what has happened here is, over time, Bob Alonzo has seen two totally different plants and has labeled the Col. BB to both of them. Because, I've seen this pink looking croton and mine that I grow, they are NOT the same.

The Glocks had a nice phone call the other evening and told me later that Bob Alonzo plans on attending the Holiday Croton Tour in Ft Myers coming up in December. It will be at Jim and Judy's house in Ft Myers. I already plan on bringing numerous varieties over for not only him to look at, but for the whole gang to see. I for one, want to try to clear up some confussion on some of these and this is going to be an excellent time to do it.

THIS IS A MUST ATTEND MEETING FOR EVERYONE TO COME TO !!!

Jeff, thanks for the promo for the December meeting. It will be a croton happening. Jim and I are pleased that Bob Alonzo is going to attend. It would be fun to put our heads together and solve some mystery names.

Mulch be our life!

Judy

Here are some photos of Mr Searle's Colonel Bob Bullock that I took while at the nursery Saturday morning.

Attachments

• Croton 10.25.10 027.jpg
    Croton 10.25.10 027.jpg
    201.3 KB · Views: 160
  • Croton 10.25.10 028.jpg
    Croton 10.25.10 028.jpg
    154.3 KB · Views: 158
  • Croton 10.25.10 029.jpg
    Croton 10.25.10 029.jpg
    194.6 KB · Views: 153
Here's two of mine that look like Jeff's, but don't look anything like my Col. Bob Bullock at all! Are these the same as Jeff's? They kinda look Thomas Edisonish. Once again, confusion.

Randy

Attachments

• DSC_0016.jpg
    DSC_0016.jpg
    227.6 KB · Views: 132
  • DSC_0017.jpg
    DSC_0017.jpg
    196.5 KB · Views: 142
When I first saw Randy's "Barbra Bush" that someone later said was Col. Bob Bullock - my intial reaction was I thought it was Wilma. There were persons in attendance that have been doing the croton thing longer than I, so I just listened.

Bottom line - it is a great looking nicely colored cultivar. :cool:

I am sure that if a rooted cutting of Thea made it to our auction table at our next meeting/garden tour on Saturday, May 14th - it would get much attention $$$? :rolleyes:

Food was calling us so after a great time at Randy's we moved on over to Ricky's garden. The first photo taking upon arrival is everyone drooling over the crotons for auction. The second photo is of our host Ricky showing us his Thea. The third photo is a closer shot of Thea which once again reminded me of my missing shovel.