Too late to plant in St. Pete?

junglegal

Esteemed Member
30/03/08
I have about 25 potted specimens. Is it safe to plant them out or should I wait until spring? We're zone 10a (most winters)
Thanks

Bren. I am not going to answer your question. I will give you something to think about. Winter 2009-2010, what kind of damage did you get? Can you enjoy the 25 potted specimens in the pots for a few months? Will it be easier to protect in pots or in ground should winter hand us another blow?

Well, it would be much easier to protect potted as I can move them into my screened porch. I intend to wrap it in greenhouse film for my more tender tropicals. I just struggle with the aesthetics of all these pots laying around. I never intended to have a croton container ranch & patience is not my best virtue.
Oh and last winter was not too kind. I'm still dealing with it's wrath as my palms still looked thrashed and yellowed out some what. Guess I'll just gamble and a few of the more common varieties (ie. stoplight, yellow iceton etc) and haul in the rest over winter.

I did not intend to have a Croton container ranch, but I have 60 plants now waiting for Spring. Gives me time to plan on the planting and I am sure I will find more before Spring. The forcast show a mild Winter for us, but I do not trust the forcast. I am playing it safe here on the north side of the bay this year.

Attachments

• 003.jpg
    003.jpg
    186.5 KB · Views: 125
An alternative to planting or keeping in containers is to sink the container in the ground:
1. The root mass will stay a bit warmer throughout the winter.
2. If we get a bit of cold wx, just cover them.
3. If we get a major protracted cold spell, you can always pul them up and move to a protected and heated location.
4 Don't forget to remove pots and plant them in the spring.
5. St. Pete is always a few degrees warmer than Hillsborough Cty.

I hear no evil​

I have heard of "got bitten by the croton bug". Scott, you got a "croton monkey" on your back. LOL :p

Phil - your ideas seems like good advice from a veteran. Easier to keep them hydrated in containers in the ground. Also the holes will be ready for planting in the spring. Easier to escavate now in this cooler weather, especially if you have 60 holes to dig. :rolleyes: