Doris

Marie Nock

04/07/09
I thought I'd share pictures of my current favorite. It's Doris, one of Chris Mayhew's hybrids. The color in the pictures is real. It's the best orange I've ever seen.

Attachments

• Photo0085.jpg
    Photo0085.jpg
    157.1 KB · Views: 176
  • Doris Close up.jpg
    Doris Close up.jpg
    133 KB · Views: 176
Dean,
I used hybrid because for me it implies intentionality. I've grown plenty of seedlings but I wouldn't call them my hybrids - the seeds were there so I planted them. Chris has been intentionally pollinating to try to get better color. I don't know if others use the language the way I do
Marie

Marie,

That's a beautiful croton! It will be on my wish list too. It's kind of nice knowing that I know who Doris is and she has been with Chris on many plant related garden tours over the years. Did Chris mention who the parents were for this hybrid?

Dean,
I used hybrid because for me it implies intentionality. I've grown plenty of seedlings but I wouldn't call them my hybrids - the seeds were there so I planted them. Chris has been intentionally pollinating to try to get better color. I don't know if others use the language the way I do
Marie

Thanks Marie,

I guess that is what I meant - from seed. My girlfriend gets a kick out of planting the seeds from the crotons and Ti plants hoping that they may have been pollinated by one of the others in the area.

Have you ever "discovered" a new plant from your seeds that you were particularly proud of. In other words, do you think it is worth the time and effort?

Dean,

I just spent 2 hours this morning planting 435 seedlings that I plucked out of the ground yesterday. Most all of them are solid green at this stage(first set of leaves or two sets), and will color up over time. Most of these will turn out as "dogs", and will be discarded, but there will definitely be some keepers. I find it takes about 2 years before you know.

Thanks Marie

Jeff,

I wish I knew exactly which cross it came from but at the time, I think it was Katrina or Wilma that took out large limbs on mangos, that crashed down on most of my seedlings. I saved most of them but tags were lost and I'm left wondering myself. Still I try to pollinate for shape or color or both. I like black in crotons and not a lot of green in the leaf. And you can't be quite sure if an ant has created the cross for you. A couple more pics

Attachments

• Photo0063.jpg
    Photo0063.jpg
    136.9 KB · Views: 169
  • Photo0085.jpg
    Photo0085.jpg
    164.6 KB · Views: 169
Chris recently gave a rooted cutting of this spectaular variety to Judy Glock. I have to admit that I was envious. Hopefully we can get this croton established in our members gardens for preservation. It is really something special in my opinion! :cool:

In case you missed this thread, a truly exceptional croton. There are only a few circulating out there right now. I suspect that this may be a slow to develope cultivar. ;)

Doris starting to orange up. Just coming around.

Attachments

• P1100152a.jpg
    P1100152a.jpg
    264.5 KB · Views: 123
  • P1100157a.jpg
    P1100157a.jpg
    247.5 KB · Views: 110