Daisy Ortegas or William Craig

Crazy for Crotons

29/06/09
Here are two different plants in my garden.
Plant 1
IMG_1470.jpg

Plant 2
IMG_1468.jpg

Who bought the Daisy O. at the sale? To be quite honest, it was a cute little thing and if not already maxed out on my purchases would have bought it myself. It's another plant a typical homeowner might overlook for landscape purposes. A Florida croton historian like myself views it altogether differently.

... and here's a few pics of the plant under discussion that was bought this past weekend.

Attachments

• DSCN2693.jpg
    DSCN2693.jpg
    220.1 KB · Views: 156
  • DSCN2694.jpg
    DSCN2694.jpg
    212.3 KB · Views: 162
Who bought the Daisy O. at the sale? To be quite honest, it was a cute little thing and if not already maxed out on my purchases would have bought it myself. It's another plant a typical homeowner might overlook for landscape purposes. A Florida croton historian like myself views it altogether differently.

I got a DO because you told me to Ray., last one and then gone... :eek:

Daisy Ortegas.jpg

A shot of Daisy Ortegas taken this evening. :)

Last edited:
Hmmm, that's a good looking plant that now resembles William Craig. The first purchased photos were more convincing but now I'm confused again. Even Bob Alonzo's descriptive differences for these two plants are confusing. Personally, I'm not convinced they are different plants.

When someone can show me two plants with distinctive characteristics side by side, I'll believe the two plant names are valid. Until that time, it's the same plant in my book. My William Craig often gets leaves that are entirely red. Then the next flush is dark with some red near the petiole and a red midrib. Depending on the light in which they are grown, the "two" plants clone eachother.

William Craig.JPG
Hmmm, that's a good looking plant that now resembles William Craig. The first purchased photos were more convincing but now I'm confused again. Even Bob Alonzo's descriptive differences for these two plants are confusing. Personally, I'm not convinced they are different plants.

Here is my William Craig I got from Judy Glock awhile back ;)

Last edited:
Daisy Ortegas.jpg
And here is an updated photo of "Daisy Ortega" as found in the Moose Land. Revived this thread to see if Kurt has any perspective on these cultivars that have created some debate.

Last edited:
Oh boy. This one is a mess. There are two different plants, and they are not that similar. William craig was fairly common and really lights up fairly often. It has a distinctive twisted and very pointed leaf. Bender had daisy ortegas and it had a wide leaf. Color scheme was about the same as your D.O. picture, ron. A lot of big leaf stuff takes a couple of years to get characteristic leaves, it's very hard to ID small plants. George zammas and I were discussing this plant the other day, I only found it once, a group of 4, and only one is left. The book really confuses this one (DO). William craig should be pretty easy, DO is just one of those plants that is a lot less common than people suppose it to be.