On the eave of the insanity

Crazy for Crotons

29/06/09
Who is going to the sale tomorrow? I think the croton popularity at Jeff's sale has surpassed palms. For a palm guy like me that's almost blasphemous but only this group of plants could come close to dethroning the king monocot.

..and for those with any time or money left, Bob Peters will be selling a nice selection of crotons this weekend at the Tropiflora sale in Talevast, Fri, Sat and Sun. Check the Tropiflora web site for info and directions

Heading over that way in an hour or so. I wish I wouldn't have read about crotons being at Tropiflora! Good thing I can almost guarantee I won't have much $$ by Sunday

If you think this will be some walk in the park, hmmmm(just smiling). For those of the croton collectors that get there at 8am and come in, GPS won't help you here.:) Your going to be twisted all around, see colors you didn't think were possible, grabbing for a plant having no idea what variety it is, but caught your eye, yep, it should be fun. Yellow petra, Thanksgiving, Buddy's, Yellow form of Mrs Iceton, Bravo, etc. etc. Oh......and maybe a rare one or two.:D

See you all there.......and thanks.

Sincerly,
Jeff

Heading over that way in an hour or so. I wish I wouldn't have read about crotons being at Tropiflora! Good thing I can almost guarantee I won't have much $$ by Sunday

Oh darn, I have to drop my son off in Coconut Grove at 7:29 am, I won't make it to the Sale until 8:45 am. Bren, don't hog them all before I arrive. :(

Rare stuff is gone. Some very nice uncommomn cultivars are still there, don't know if they will make it through the day not getting purchased. The organization in the croton area was exceptional. Well staffed and the extra path made the croton dash very plesant. :cool:

I did not get all the ones I wanted and did not expect to. Very, very pleased with the aquisitions made. It was great to see all those croton collectors concentrated in one place. ;)

I was lucky enough to snag a couple good ones and we were only 1.5hrs late of the opening on Friday! I guess next time I'll have to camp out the night prior to opening

Hi everyone! Sorry I haven't around lately - but we did make it to the sale.

Jeff, thank you for a great time, as always - and all these incredible crotons which we could barely fit in my lil car.

Also thanks to Ryan, Ray, and to Jim & Judy (if they're lurking) for being onsite helping. Great to see the other croton nuts while grabbing a cartful of beauties.

We got to the gate first thing on Friday morning. I lucked out and nabbed the longed-for Pop's Yard and Sybil Griffin! Along with other treasures. I'll try to post some pics soon, these crotons are beautifully-grown!

So... what did everyone else get?