New WIKI feature: Master list of Names

junglegal

Esteemed Member
30/03/08
You can now view all the names in one alphabetized list. Especially helpful if you want to look up a hybrid but you don't know what leaf type it is. I got the idea after looking at Searle's list for the Extravaganza and realizing I had no clue what some (OK, most) looked like.

Please peruse and let me know what names may be missing. These are direct links to their prospective pages.
http://www.palmpedia.net/wiki/index.php/Category:MASTER_NAME_LIST

There are aprox 400 names so far.

This page is accessible from the main page of the croton WIKI

No thanks needed Ron, I just want everyone to step up with pics & info now.

We've got the makings for an excellent croton resource unrivaled by any other website at the moment. It's success depends on all of us. ;)

Bren,

Thank-you, you have done a lot of leg work and I for one appreciate all your hard work. There are some corrections I feel are worthy of change. For example, Pig in a Blanket is Wooton Beauty. Another one is, Dr Gilbert Cutler should be Captain Gilbert Cutler. I noticed a few more,

Delaruye = Juliette Delarue

Disraeli = Mrs Snyder Disraeli

Giesha Girl = Geisha Girl

Honeycomb = Davis #3

Ruebens = Rubens

Scarecrow = Heaven ( my own plants and realized their one and the same)

To the Left = ( my own plant, again named already)

William Jennings = William Jennings Bryan

Zadroga = Dreer #7

If anyone thinks differently, please feel free to add your thoughts.

Jeff

THIS is what I was hoping for!! Jeff's changes will be made in the wiki by COB tomorrow. Everything is open for discussion and anyone can change the wiki lest they feel different.

Thank you Jeff!

Jeff,

Is honeycomb a synonym for Davis 3?
Which name are you keeping, scarecrow or Heaven?
Is Zadroga a synonym or was the picture misID'd?
All other changes have been made.

Dave,
I've sine added all the very narrow leafed varieties to the master list

Thanks

This will prove helpful and much better than a book because, it can easily be edited and updated. You are moving right along Junglegal; Great job! Do you think we should have a special heading for Thai hybrids?

Jeff,

Is honeycomb a synonym for Davis 3?
Which name are you keeping, scarecrow or Heaven?
Is Zadroga a synonym or was the picture misID'd?
All other changes have been made.

Dave,
I've sine added all the very narrow leafed varieties to the master list

Thanks

Bren,

Yes, Honeycomb is a synonym for Davis #3.
Heaven is the name for both plants, they are the same.
Based on Bob Alonzo, Zadroga is a made up name for Dreer #3. I think David M. came up with Zadroga.

I hope this helps.

Jeff

Yes, Bren is the "bomb."

I intend to redo the main entry point to the Croton Listings to make it look a little more polished and user friendly when I get minute or two soon.

Get on it Big Dog! :p Bren did all the grunt work, a refinement to the entry point is really needed now. :cool: Has anyone noticed how many hits this forum has been getting in the last month? I've seen 14 non-members logged on a few times. Compared to just three months ago, that is amazing.

Bren,
Here are some names that can be added to the Master List:
ARTHUR HOWE
BLOTCHED CAROT
BLOTCHED WOOTEN BEAUTY
BRILLIANTISSIMA
CHALLENGER
COLUMBIA
CORNELIUS
CORNELIUS HALGRIM
DOLORES
ELEANOR FICHLER
ELLEN RUTHERFORD
EMERALD SHOWER
GREEN DEVIL
JENSENII
JOANN ROOF
KELLY
KEY WEST
KRAKATOA
LEOTA
MACKENZIE
MERCER
MICHAEL FERRARO
NOBLISSIMA
OAK LEAF SUPERBA
PAPPEY
PASTOR ABEL
PLAID OAK
PRINCE OF SIAM
PUCCINI
TWIST AND TURN
YELLOW AMABILE
YELLOW BRAVO
YELLOW DAYSPRING
YELLOW MAMMEY
YELLOW ICETON

I'll have some more names soon. Thanks.

Get on it Big Dog! :p Bren did all the grunt work, a refinement to the entry point is really needed now. :cool: Has anyone noticed how many hits this forum has been getting in the last month? I've seen 14 non-members logged on a few times. Compared to just three months ago, that is amazing.

I would like to remind everyone that with the exception of a very few protected pages ANYONE can edit, add, rearrange, create pages, or otherwise contribute.

Try clicking on the "Edit" tab at the top sometime and play around. You can see what you have changed by clicking the "Preview" button at the bottom. Your changes are not saved until you click the "Save" button. And even if you completely screw it up, I can "rollback" the page to any previous version with a simple click.

So if you see a typo, or grammatical error, etc. change it. Or if you have some info about a particular variety, add it to the page.

In addition, some of you have realized that discussions about IDs of particular varieties can be carried out using the "Discussion" tab, so as to have the different opinions always easily accesible and available.

Just give it a try and then you too can help out.

And MooseMan - we are getting a lot of hits, and picking up some momentum. I hope everyone has noticed that each page has a counter at the bottom to keep track of how many visitors hit on that page. It's a good way to see how much traffic is happening.

Marie,

What do you know about Pastor Able? Because mine in the yard, (maybe a Dave M. name?) turned out to be General Marshall, according to Bob A.

Alot of new ones out there......:)

Jeff,
Pastor Abel is a Dave M. name but it doesn't look anything like my Gen. Marshall.
Marie

Palm Nut,
I'm sure Dean would add the page. It would be nice to capture some of Sergey's great plants he posts.

I have no problem adding any kind of page you guys think would be useful. Just say the word.

I'll bet you that Sergey is good enough with a computer to add and help maintain such a page. Russians are wizards with computers. :) What about it Sergey?

I'll be happy to set it up if I know it will be used. What should we call it? Simply "Thai Hybrids," or something else?

Additional names have been added to the wiki. They are in the master list but also in the TBC (to be categorized) leaf category. If you know what leaf type they are, please move them to the appropriate type. Thanks

I have no problem adding any kind of page you guys think would be useful. Just say the word.

I'll bet you that Sergey is good enough with a computer to add and help maintain such a page. Russians are wizards with computers. :) What about it Sergey?

I'll be happy to set it up if I know it will be used. What should we call it? Simply "Thai Hybrids," or something else?
Dean,

I’ll be happy to contribute. Not many Thai crotons which I’d uploaded are with IDs now, but I’m planning to visit Thailand in January’11, hope it will help to clear up the situation. Is it ok to call a new page “Thai Нybrids” and make subdivisions within? -

Round leaf
Oval leaf
Interrupted leaf
Spiral leaf
Broad base leaf
Linear leaf
Different leaf

No problem Sergey, it wasn't all that hard and I'm glad to see the momentum turning. My job is pretty well done now. I can just sit back and learn.

Great job! Got to go back and re-read the list carefully but Carot, Carow, Carrot and other variations on this spelling should all be Corot - named for the French painter Email Corot.

Phil

Phil,
I took the name carow from Dr. Brown's book in the index. I loaded Corot from page 25, you sure it's the full name since the other artists don't use the full name. I googled Corot knowing it was named after the artist so inserted the little blurb of how it's name came to be. If the full name is official, we can easily change it.
As I further perused the pictorial index to load page names, I also noticed the discrepancy of Van Houti vs. Van Houtti on the pic, which is correct?
These kind of observances are good!

Dean,

I’ll be happy to contribute. Not many Thai crotons which I’d uploaded are with IDs now, but I’m planning to visit Thailand in January’11, hope it will help to clear up the situation. Is it ok to call a new page “Thai Нybrids” and make subdivisions within? -

Round leaf
Oval leaf
Interrupted leaf
Spiral leaf
Broad base leaf
Linear leaf
Different leaf

Sergey,

Give me a day or two and I'll set it up. It can be "your baby." I am sure you will be able to figure out how to manage and edit it. If not, I will be watching and can help out. Perhaps some others will add to it as well.

It will be easier for you to upload your photos directly to the WIKI instead of someone downloading them from the Forum and then uploading them again. If you need help getting started, let me know. But you can upload 10 at a time by clicking on "Upload Files" in the left sidebar of any WIKI page. Check the syntax for making the photo appear on a page by clicking the "edit" tab at the top. To add a page, go to the Search Box and enter the name and then search. You will find an option for creating the page if none exists.

I think we will need to provide some name to each unnamed hybrid, so at least they can be referred to and discussed. Maybe just a number, perhaps something like TH 101, TH 102, referring to a Thai Hybrid without a name. Once a name is discovered or proposed, it is easy to change it. Think about it.