Phil's Garden

ScotTi

Esteemed Member
16/04/08
Phil, Thank you for opening up your garden for a tour yesterday. I was blown away with your beautiful garden. I started collecting ony last fall and have a long way to go yet. I took with me some ideas going forward with my own garden of color. This was my first Croton meeting, and enjoyed meeting everyone that attended. I also joined the Society, got the Codiaeum Encyclopedia, and got ten new plants to add to my little (but growing) collection. Scott

Scott - what did you get? Unfortunately and with regret I could not make this meeting.

Jeff Searle invited me to a meeting at TikiRick's garden. It was so inspiring that crotons have become a passion for me.

Photos would be nice... :rolleyes:

Yes Phil, your place was as beautiful as ever. What crappy winter? You'd never know it from your garden. Thanks for the hospitality.
I regret that I did not take out my camera but some others there got a picture or two.
From memory I got red eburnum, dayspring, thomas edison, victoria goldbells, pop's yard and seven others that I am spacing on at the moment. :eek:

Bren - you scored 12 crotons? Stop spacing, what are the other seven? You can take out your camera too. :rolleyes:

Scott - what were your ten? My croton senses are tingling! :eek:

Some of them weren't labeled & I've killed too many brain cells in my youth to retain much. I'll have to get the names from Ray & the others later. You missed a great time!

Ron, I took my camera for pictures. But as dumb me would do did not bring the scan disk. I remember four names for my haul, Golden Glow, Carribean Star,W C Wallace and C I Craigen.

Scott, the two air layers were Diane (yellow and green) and Charles Rutherford and the large potted one was Gloriosa.

Bren, the long, narrow strap leaf was Johannis and the other Wooten's Beauty.

Enjoyed having a bunch of croton nuts over. Here's a few pics....

1. oooo, aaah... no idea what they are looking at. Maryland is croton in front of Judy.

2. pre-auction strategy meeting (Lee, Ray Hernandez, Jim Glock, Jeff Searle)

3. Group photo.

4. My new very colorful Sybil Griffin!

Attachments

• DSCN2625.jpg
    DSCN2625.jpg
    254.1 KB · Views: 154
  • DSCN2643.jpg
    DSCN2643.jpg
    191.2 KB · Views: 147
  • DSCN2644.jpg
    DSCN2644.jpg
    256.4 KB · Views: 155
  • DSCN2648.jpg
    DSCN2648.jpg
    259.8 KB · Views: 138
...and a few of the garden taken this morning.

Attachments

• DSCN2658.jpg
    DSCN2658.jpg
    255.4 KB · Views: 138
  • DSCN2652.jpg
    DSCN2652.jpg
    272.3 KB · Views: 132
  • DSCN2651.jpg
    DSCN2651.jpg
    239.3 KB · Views: 150
  • DSCN2650.jpg
    DSCN2650.jpg
    247.8 KB · Views: 147
Nice shots Phil! Say, do you remember the name of the croton originally from Sunken Gardens? I bought it at the auction and I believe it came from yours.

Enjoyed having a bunch of croton nuts over. Here's a few pics....

1. oooo, aaah... no idea what they are looking at. Maryland is croton in front of Judy.

2. pre-auction strategy meeting (Lee, Ray Hernandez, Jim Glock, Jeff Searle)

3. Group photo.

4. My new very colorful Sybil Griffin!

Phil - the coloring on your Sybil Griffin is amazing and blows mine away!
:cool:

It was even more stunning in person Ron! I never got to ask who grew that stunner. By the time it came up for auction, I had already blown through my budget!

Anyone recall the name of this plant that I bought Saturday? Big leaves, slightly ruffled edges, yellow and green....

Attachments

• DSCN2663.jpg
    DSCN2663.jpg
    231.5 KB · Views: 117
  • DSCN2664.jpg
    DSCN2664.jpg
    254.2 KB · Views: 121
Phil,

Your garden, and the collection of crotons was far more than I expected. For those of you that didn't get the opportunity to come by, you really missed a fun outing. Some of my favorites were, Playboy, Gonzales, Maryland and just so many more. Once more, thanks again for openning up your garden and having us all there.

Jeff

Phil, Jim and I were really impressed with your collection. It was awsome! We always wondered what the big deal was about Playboy; after seeing yours we know why. Thanks for your hospitality. We are happy knowing that you will give our babies a good home:)