Rams Horn ID

ScotTi

Esteemed Member
16/04/08
Found this today was labled Yellow Iceton (not). I am thinking Rams Horn. But after getting it home it looks diffrent from my Rams Horn (pic 2). Are they the same or is one not a R.H. ?

Attachments

• 008.jpg
    008.jpg
    83.4 KB · Views: 131
  • 009.jpg
    009.jpg
    126.5 KB · Views: 115
Scott- This looks more like Revolutions than Ram's Horn. Revolutions appeared last year (at least to me). The one I had died during the winter. I picked up three more in 1 qt. pots at the McDill AFB Commissary last month (hey, you get 'em where you can!).

Attached are two pics; RH is the one in the ground at the left; Revolutions is/are the ones in the pots on the center right; no idea what the small leaf yellow and green one is in first pic. RH seems to have more definite yellow leaf veins than Revolutions.

Perhaps someone familiar with the nursery trade can enlighten us on where Revolutions came from

Attachments

• DSCN2534.jpg
    DSCN2534.jpg
    345.4 KB · Views: 122
  • DSCN2535.jpg
    DSCN2535.jpg
    345 KB · Views: 138
Phil,

I agree, it looks more like Revolutions than Rams Horn. Revolutions turned up two years ago I believe at the TPIE Trade Show here in Ft. Lauderdale. It was introduced by Del Roose (spelling is probably off) which is a large nursery in Holland.

Phil and Jeff, Thank you guys! I looked up Revolutions and you guys are right. When I saw it I knew it was diffrent, but really looks like this one should have the name Rams Horn over the real Rams Horn.

Attachments

• 007.jpg
    007.jpg
    59.4 KB · Views: 124
Well, not to start an argument, but I have a Ram's Horn that was definitely ID'd by everyone who was here at the Croton meeting. I've taken cuttings from it and they look exactly like the photos above until they grow out and start looking more like the original plant. If there is a "Revolutions" is it possible it really is just another "Ram's Horn"?

Revolutions and Rams Horn are entirely different plants. Colors are also different as Rams horn has green, yellow, and sometimes red to it.
Revolutions is entirely white and green.

Anyone know where I can find a Revolutions? Here is my Rams Horn. I had it growing in too much shade. Rob and Jeff stopped by and recommended that I put it in more sun. I transplanted it to the hole made by my Pigefetta elata palm that subcomed to our artic blast last winter. I put Judy's Beauty where the Ram's Horn was growing. It has really taken off since I followed Rob and Jeff's advice! :p

Attachments

• Ram's Horn.jpg
    Ram's Horn.jpg
    248.8 KB · Views: 118
Moose-
The only place I've seen Revoltions for sale is at the McDill AFB Commissary. Not the garden center in the Exchange, but the Commissary. Four inch pots, one or more sticksf about 9" tall for $1.95. Some of the big box stores must have these...

Here are some better pictures of my Ram's Horn. :)

Attachments

• RH 2.jpg
    RH 2.jpg
    271.7 KB · Views: 127
  • RH 4.jpg
    RH 4.jpg
    231 KB · Views: 119
  • RH 3.jpg
    RH 3.jpg
    209.7 KB · Views: 124
  • RH.jpg
    RH.jpg
    242.6 KB · Views: 126
Moose-
The only place I've seen Revoltions for sale is at the McDill AFB Commissary. Not the garden center in the Exchange, but the Commissary. Four inch pots, one or more sticksf about 9" tall for $1.95. Some of the big box stores must have these...

I found my Revoltions at Lowes in the house plant area. Also saw them at Dolins in St Pete this past weekend in 4" pots.