Mardy Darian Garden Visit

Dean,

Will you be in town to join us? I arrive in SD that friday afternoon. I'm looking forward to seeing the gardens one more time and seeing many friends as well.

Dean,

As you know, I took some time off and traveled out to California for the tour. I had a really great time, everyone I talked to made me feel welcome and got to visit some new gardens. I estimate there were between 250-300 people that day, which on 3 1/2 acres, isn't bad. I actually bought a Dwarf Areca catechu at the auction that pretty much nobody else wanted and having it shipped back. Go figure...

Here's a few more pic's of Mardy's beautiful garden, along with some faces and names.

1)....Mardy Darien and I.

2)....A group shot of the guys that gave tours through the garden. From L-R,
Gary L. Bill Sanford, Jeff B. and Len G.

3)....Standing next to a giant Dypsis prestoniana.

Attachments

• P1011014.jpg
    P1011014.jpg
    209.3 KB · Views: 405
  • P1010956.jpg
    P1010956.jpg
    217.2 KB · Views: 411
  • P1010954.jpg
    P1010954.jpg
    277.1 KB · Views: 424
1).....Inside the pool area, which included a large Joey palm on the left and an even bigger Pelagodoxa henryana to the right.

2).....Also in the pool area was this unknown Dypsis species that gets lot of attention.

3).....Matty B shown here has no idea what he's looking at, nor understand anything being said. He was just there for the food.

4).....From L-R, Matty B, Gary L. Ashton, Kevin W. and Don Martin. Again, notice Matty has that confused look to him.

Attachments

• P1010951.jpg
    P1010951.jpg
    296.9 KB · Views: 441
  • P1010943.jpg
    P1010943.jpg
    227.8 KB · Views: 385
  • P1010983.jpg
    P1010983.jpg
    239.5 KB · Views: 399
  • P1011010.jpg
    P1011010.jpg
    211.2 KB · Views: 401
Thanks a lot Jeff,

Those are some great pics that will be classics in a decade or so. No one is going to be looking any better than they did that day. Not even MattyB. So it will be good to have them to look back on. When Matty starts getting gray, that'll be when I stop buying green bananas. :)

Loved those panoramas Dean. One question though, what's that brown fuzzy stuff affixed to some of the dicot trees? It seems a bit like sphagnum moss. I quite like it actually, it gives an interesting tropical feel

Loved those panoramas Dean. One question though, what's that brown fuzzy stuff affixed to some of the dicot trees? It seems a bit like sphagnum moss. I quite like it actually, it gives an interesting tropical feel

Yes Zeeth, it is sphagnum. Mardy "wraps" it around trees and pipes in order to give his orchids and other epiphytes something to get their roots into - something very important in super dry SoCal.