Playboy

TikiRick

21/06/09
I had received a cutting of Playboy from Keith in Sarasota last fall. I nursed it along and it budded out with small leaves...until the winter blast hit. Now, I think I have lost it.

Is Playboy that unusual? Is is rare? Should I be killing myself now?

On another note, his cutting of Covergirl is growing like a weed. For this, I am thankful!:)

ANYONE growing Playboy? Can you post a photo of it? Him?

I had a very nice Playboy but lost it to hurricaine Charley. It is on the rare side but they are out there. I saw one in Lauderdale about eight feet tall. Definately a great croton.

Tiki ... it was at Deckers old place near 595. Irene ... it's a sumptuous broad grean leaf like "diane" with sexy yellow dots like "elenor roosevelt" ... very attractive.

I also got my Playboy from Kieth. It made it through the winter with 50%+ defoliation but is recovering now with the warm wx and some rain. I'd consider it scarce.
Now getting used to new PC and Win7 so will be a bit before I post some pics of recovering sticks in yard.

and FWIW, cuttings of Stoplight and a yellow/green mystery rooted quite well using the bag method over the winter. Branches that get broken usually get potted up to try and root them.

here's a pic taken today of a Playboy that made it through the winter. It's about 18" tall. Leaves are usually a bit more semi-oak than the few new ones. That's a Mosaic in the background with lots of new buds and branches.

Attachments

• DSCN2446.jpg
    DSCN2446.jpg
    313.6 KB · Views: 198
I remember Decker telling me that most of the crotons in his nursury were from the neighborhood just around it. That might be a jungle worth exploring!

Jeff, I will trade you a Playboy for a blotched charmer. I lost mine due to the cold.

Jeff, I will trade you a Playboy for a blotched charmer. I lost mine due to the cold.

Keith,

I will be glad to trade for one. I'll have to see if I have any left in pots, if not, I can root one this summer. I think our biggest challenge will be getting the plants to each other somehow.:)

Ricky,

Your's will turn out to be something different altogether. Then name it if it has potential.

Mr. Searle,
I did not have a chance to search yet, but weather depending, I will today, hmm, what could one trade for a few cuttings of playboy?????

Rob

Mr. Searle,
I did not have a chance to search yet, but weather depending, I will today, hmm, what could one trade for a few cuttings of playboy?????

Rob
Ahhhh...you better find it first.
Well, for one, we'll allow you to continue coming over here every week and let you work in my yard for free. Lol! And then I have a flowering size Andreanum in a 3gallon for you. I think that's fair.:)

Well I searched all around Deckers I95 east nursery, very few crotons in the area, what i did see was Stoplight, Petras, Mammey, Elanor Rosevelt and thats about all.

Is there a different area to search? This is the only area I know that decker had a nursery

Rob

Rob/Jeff...
You know that the reason Kurt moved from the old I95 place was that it was being bulldozed for townhomes/condos/apartments, etc.....not sure if the project went belly up...but maybe Playboy was lost in the destruction. I'm certain Billy, the Bobcat driver, didn't care much about the crotons left in the ground. And from what I remember they were HUGE.

Rick, what is the "old I95" place???? his nursery is still there right by bass pro shops, yes there are a lot of newer trailers around it.

Rob - This is the area you want to search in (from the now defunct Croton Mania website):
Hollywood Hills, Border Streets are N 56th Avenue, Sheridan Street, I-95 and Washinghton St. This Neighborhood is Loaded with alleys, In these alleys you will find Crotons of all Varieties growing out of control. So a harmless cutting won`t be missed, Homeowners will probably appreciate the trim. But asking is the honest way, use your own discretion. Look hard enough and you will see some Beautiful Plants (Crotons) in peoples yards that they have no clue what it is. And I`m sure they will have no problem with you taking a cutting or two, Maybe a small air layer. Hollywood Hills needs a sharp eye so drive slow and don`t miss anything. Pay close Attention to the Hollywood Memorial Hospital Area.

Rob/Jeff...
You know that the reason Kurt moved from the old I95 place was that it was being bulldozed for townhomes/condos/apartments, etc.....not sure if the project went belly up...but maybe Playboy was lost in the destruction. I'm certain Billy, the Bobcat driver, didn't care much about the crotons left in the ground. And from what I remember they were HUGE.

Yea, the place looks like an old nursery but the gates are locked and no one is around during the day. The plant material inside is in such deplorable conditions, nothing is worth selling. No longer.....

Rob - This is the area you want to search in (from the now defunct Croton Mania website):
Hollywood Hills, Border Streets are N 56th Avenue, Sheridan Street, I-95 and Washinghton St. This Neighborhood is Loaded with alleys, In these alleys you will find Crotons of all Varieties growing out of control. So a harmless cutting won`t be missed, Homeowners will probably appreciate the trim. But asking is the honest way, use your own discretion. Look hard enough and you will see some Beautiful Plants (Crotons) in peoples yards that they have no clue what it is. And I`m sure they will have no problem with you taking a cutting or two, Maybe a small air layer. Hollywood Hills needs a sharp eye so drive slow and don`t miss anything. Pay close Attention to the Hollywood Memorial Hospital Area.

Actually D.B. that had this website is still around, I talked to him a couple of weeks ago. I'm trying to get him to go out and collect me some very desirable Monarch cuttings.

Rob and I are heading down to Miami this saturday to scout out some areas. We'll try to get some pic's......and cuttings of course.:)

Actually D.B. that had this website is still around, I talked to him a couple of weeks ago. I'm trying to get him to go out and collect me some very desirable Monarch cuttings.

Rob and I are heading down to Miami this saturday to scout out some areas. We'll try to get some pic's......and cuttings of course.:)

:confused:

I had received a cutting of Playboy from Keith in Sarasota last fall. I nursed it along and it budded out with small leaves...until the winter blast hit. Now, I think I have lost it.

Is Playboy that unusual? Is is rare? Should I be killing myself now?

On another note, his cutting of Covergirl is growing like a weed. For this, I am thankful!:)

ANYONE growing Playboy? Can you post a photo of it? Him?

This is a Playboy I got from Keith :D

Attachments

• Playboy 6.JPG
    Playboy 6.JPG
    233.2 KB · Views: 110
  • Playboy 5.JPG
    Playboy 5.JPG
    221.1 KB · Views: 89
  • Playboy 4.JPG
    Playboy 4.JPG
    240.3 KB · Views: 91
  • Playboy 3.JPG
    Playboy 3.JPG
    222.1 KB · Views: 97
  • Playboy 2.JPG
    Playboy 2.JPG
    243.9 KB · Views: 94
  • Playboy 1.JPG
    Playboy 1.JPG
    237.9 KB · Views: 103
Thanks to all the trading and auctions, this cultivar is not as rare as it used to be. A tribute to the sleeping Croton Society and its members.

Same plant as in post #29, it getting some size now.

Playboy 1.JPG
Playboy 2.JPG