Croton Tours....any planned for the summer?

Jeff Searle

26/08/08
I was just wondering if the Society was planning or talking about a garden tour somewhere. I know with all the damage this past winter, it might be better to have something later in the fall. Any ideas in the works?

Jeff

Jeff - I was just thinking the same thing. Looking at Ryan's thread on PalmTalk where the South Florida Palm Society had a garden tour at Dr. Jeff Block's garden. He had some very nice croton cultivars which Marie Nock was more than happy to point out to me.

Although I continue to find more emerging cold damage on some plants, like us all, the spring weather and the rebounding of the plants has got me excited! :)

If I arrange a croton meeting here in Dade county, will you west coast people come and make a day of it here. Connie where are you? ;)

Attachments

• happy_moose.jpg
    happy_moose.jpg
    21.6 KB · Views: 161
Wow! Is the Croton Society dead? Or is this site just drawing....2 people? Me and the Moose.

Pretty lame if you ask me. I'm sorry, but I just don't get it. I'm not asking for everyone to post pictures. Lord knows, Ron "Moose" post more pictures here than the rest of us combined. I know the weather was brutal on our plants.

Sorry for the vent....

This site, just like the public's interest in Crotons as landscape plants, waxes and wanes. It was a new thing a year ago, now, many have moved on or lost interest. I check in daily, once or twice, but there hasn't been much to talk about. Moose posts some great photos, but I haven't got anything worth shooting right now. I'd love to see other collections, ones that haven't been decimated by the cold, but I wonder how many of them look like mine after this brutal winter.

I'm giving serious thought to a Croton Society meeting here in the Fall again. Barbecue and all that, and I should have a firm date after we get back from Jamaica in a few weeks.

The Queen Elizabeth Gardens in the Cayman Islands should not have been affected by the winter cold and also have a nice croton collection. The palm nuts are off to Rio for the IPS bi-ennial shortly.
My garden looks like crap unless you like looking at budding sticks. I expect it to make a rapid recovery (barring hurricanes later in the year) and expect it to look presentable in the fall - probably around the same time or a bit earlier than the fall09 event that was cancelled due to rain.
We'll see what if anything some of the commercial and local growers will have at the USF Tampa Sale this weekend.
Onward through the fog....

I for one am in a hold mode on the Crotons at this time. The sticks are showing new growth on 3/4 of the Crotons. And as my luck would have it my favorites look like they did not make it. The Crotons were added as part of my 2009 revamping of the garden. At this time I have other revamping chores (long list) to take care of before the summer sets in. Started at the front and working to the back.

I lost 1/2 of my collection and the rest are sticks just barely budding out. I'm bummed out like so many others here. Most of you guys in the south did so well, I'm jealous.

No interest from the west coast members? This November will be 2 years since I hosted a tour at my house. The crotons look really good now and should be looking better by then. Anyone interested? If not-------> I'll just keep cutting and slapping airlayers on now as summer is just upon us. :)

If anyone wants to drop by as a small group just to look and gawk on a certain weekend, lets get something planned. Brandy slushies on a hot summer day in the garden will make it all the worthwhile. I promise.....

Jeff

Phil,

If this little mini tour materializes into anything, I will certainly consider your dates. It just will depend on if there's much interest in the next few weeks. I'll keep everyone posted as things progress.

Jeff

The west coast people were hit very hard by the cold this year. I have been bummed
out and angry about it. You know you have the croton bug if you still grow crotons
after a winter like this. If I didnt like them so much, I would not grow them anymore.

I would like to attend if it's in June. In Aug I might be in Costa Rica visiting Jeff but I don't have my dates firm yet.

Judy and I are at the "Southern Command Post" this weekend. We have a few things that look fairly good and would love to have folks down. Since we're at the Southern Command Post we thought that we would post a few to wet your whistle. We have attached a William Craig, Flamingo, Red Quill (PS Phil we still have your air layer of this very plant), and Blotched Raphael.

Attachments

• Copy of Picture.jpg
    Copy of Picture.jpg
    667 KB · Views: 156
  • IMG_1857.JPG
    IMG_1857.JPG
    605.9 KB · Views: 159
  • IMG_1855.JPG
    IMG_1855.JPG
    739.9 KB · Views: 155
  • IMG_1859.JPG
    IMG_1859.JPG
    546 KB · Views: 134
Oh my gosh! They are absolutely gorgeous. I have always liked William Craig but never saw one as beautiful as yours. You guys are doing something right! May I suggest you write an article, with pictures, for the Croton Society Newsletter. I'm sure that would be most welcome.

Judy and I are at the "Southern Command Post" this weekend. We have a few things that look fairly good and would love to have folks down. Since we're at the Southern Command Post we thought that we would post a few to wet your whistle. We have attached a William Craig, Flamingo, Red Quill (PS Phil we still have your air layer of this very plant), and Blotched Raphael.

Wow! So you would like to entertain a group down there? I think it's an awesome idea, just might be be a long drive for everyone. I know someone that would love to come and he WOULD definitely make the drive.:) Felco's and ziplocs and all !!! I'll pass the info. along.